Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Retiring to Greece

Retiring to Greece

Old Sep 18th 2021, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Willsue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retiring to Greece

I am a retired Brit and living in Italy.
I am I'm possession of a permanent residence card, will this help me to get residency in Greece as it is a member state ?
I read about it somewhere but I have forgotten where
Many thanks
Old Sep 18th 2021, 4:06 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Greece

As you have this question on the Portugal forum as well you will probably gain similar answers. Which of the two countries do you really favour?

Rosemary
Old Dec 30th 2021, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

JeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond repute

Greece is a country that I am interested in. Is there a folder anywhere on this website for Greece information and expats?
Old Dec 30th 2021, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JeenaG View Post
Greece is a country that I am interested in. Is there a folder anywhere on this website for Greece information and expats?
There is no specific folder for Greece. I always fancied Greece or specifically Crete many years ago but I'd say the crisis and other problems over the years have put a lot of people off.
It all comes down to location and there are still enough wealthy foreigners with 2nd homes across the various islands, though I'd say it's not really the retirement destination for your average Brit.
Most average retired look at healthcare services, infrastructure, climate, access from UK, language and general cost of living, so Portugal and Spain just offered more when it comes to that.

Some info here:EU citizens can live and work in EU countries other than their own. But what if you don't have EU citizenship? Can you move around the EU as freely? The answer depends on why you are moving, for how long and the category of non-EU citizens you belong to.

For example, to be free to move around for up to 3 months within the Schengen area, non-EU citizens need to have a valid residence permit or visa. For longer periods, EU legislation covers mobility rights for the following groups: long-term residents, students, researchers, highly-qualified workers, family members of EU citizens and intra-corporate transferees. In case of mobility for work, EU countries also have the right to control the number of non-EU citizens coming to their labour market and restrict access if necessary. Also, some EU countries (such as Denmark and Ireland) have opted out of some of these schemes.

In general, non-EU citizens covered by EU laws can move within the EU, but with more requirements than EU citizens. For example, long-term residents can move and take their family members with them, but must apply for a residence permit in the new country. Highly-qualified workers may move to a second EU country only after 18 months and have to reapply for a Blue Card, but they can do it there and their family members may join or follow them. The EU is working on a new law that would give these workers even more rights. There are also new rules expanding the rights of students and researchers.

You can find out how to register your non-EU family members on a European Commission interactive website.

Old Jan 1st 2022, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

JeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond reputeJeenaG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013 View Post
There is no specific folder for Greece. I always fancied Greece or specifically Crete many years ago but I'd say the crisis and other problems over the years have put a lot of people off.
It all comes down to location and there are still enough wealthy foreigners with 2nd homes across the various islands, though I'd say it's not really the retirement destination for your average Brit.
Most average retired look at healthcare services, infrastructure, climate, access from UK, language and general cost of living, so Portugal and Spain just offered more when it comes to that.

Some info here:EU citizens can live and work in EU countries other than their own. But what if you don't have EU citizenship? Can you move around the EU as freely? The answer depends on why you are moving, for how long and the category of non-EU citizens you belong to.

For example, to be free to move around for up to 3 months within the Schengen area, non-EU citizens need to have a valid residence permit or visa. For longer periods, EU legislation covers mobility rights for the following groups: long-term residents, students, researchers, highly-qualified workers, family members of EU citizens and intra-corporate transferees. In case of mobility for work, EU countries also have the right to control the number of non-EU citizens coming to their labour market and restrict access if necessary. Also, some EU countries (such as Denmark and Ireland) have opted out of some of these schemes.

In general, non-EU citizens covered by EU laws can move within the EU, but with more requirements than EU citizens. For example, long-term residents can move and take their family members with them, but must apply for a residence permit in the new country. Highly-qualified workers may move to a second EU country only after 18 months and have to reapply for a Blue Card, but they can do it there and their family members may join or follow them. The EU is working on a new law that would give these workers even more rights. There are also new rules expanding the rights of students and researchers.

You can find out how to register your non-EU family members on a European Commission interactive website.
Thank you very much for this Moses, it is very helpful. I can see why Greece might not be a first choice for many, it's hard to beat Spain when it comes to proximity to England. I'm sure Greece has changed a lot since my late husband and I were there 40 years ago, but I would love to spend several months travelling from Greek island to island.