Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Retained Rights in the Event of Brexit

Retained Rights in the Event of Brexit

Old Jul 10th 2016, 2:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retained Rights in the Event of Brexit

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Nah - it doesn't worry me that much But some of this stuff could seriously affect the futures of many people living in the EU who had every right to regard the arrangements in place at the time of their move as binding and permanent. I think we have a right to feel a bit peeved.
Maybe it will, but on a practical and political basis it seems very unlikely.

I have very little faith that the incoming PM & cabinet, which, whoever they are, look like being much more hardline Tory than even the current incumbents, are going to be looking after our (ie Britons living elsewhere in the EU) best interests. They haven't even mentioned that angle so far. But yeah - all we can all do is wait and see.
Mrs May is already coping huge amounts of flak at home for not guaranteeing the rights of EU citizens already in the UK before she has assurances that British citizens livings in the EU will be according the same rights so that assertion doesn't stand up at all. There'll be at least a two year negotiation period before you will know for certain what the outcome will be. You can choose to worry and grumble about it for all the good it will do you but I suggest that even at this very early stage the signs are good.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

MikiB has a reputation beyond reputeMikiB has a reputation beyond reputeMikiB has a reputation beyond reputeMikiB has a reputation beyond reputeMikiB has a reputation beyond reputeMikiB has a reputation beyond reputeMikiB has a reputation beyond reputeMikiB has a reputation beyond reputeMikiB has a reputation beyond reputeMikiB has a reputation beyond reputeMikiB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retained Rights in the Event of Brexit

This group might interest some other British expats:

http://www.solidarityineurope.com/

Last edited by MikiB; Jul 12th 2016 at 1:32 pm. Reason: clarity