Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recent Experiences with Trains in Scotland?

Recent Experiences with Trains in Scotland?

Old Aug 12th 2002, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Buzzus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recent Experiences with Trains in Scotland?

Anyone have any rescent experience with trains in Scotland? We are looking at taking the train from Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness, and then a few days later, Inverness to Perth. I've been reading about flooding and train delays. Any first hand information would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 12th 2002, 10:28 pm
S Viemeister

Default Re: Recent Experiences with Trains in Scotland?

Buzzus wrote:
    > Anyone have any rescent experience with trains in Scotland? We are looking at
    > taking the train from Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness, and then a few days later,
    > Inverness to Perth. I've been reading about flooding and train delays. Any first
    > hand information would be greatly appreciated.
<http://www.nationalr-
ail.co.uk/realtime/fs_realtime.htm>

Old Aug 12th 2002, 11:33 pm
Dan McLean

This summer has just been declared the wettest summer since records began, about 400
years ago.

I watched TV the other night and it showed the damage done to the railway track near
where you are going and it looks as though the line will be closed for a few weeks
but not to worry, when something like this happens the railway companies organise
shuttle buses around the blockage and it shouldn't add more than a few minutes to
your journey time.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Buzzus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Recent Experiences with Trains in Scotland?

Originally posted by S Viemeister:
Buzzus wrote:
    > Anyone have any rescent experience with trains in Scotland? We are looking at
    > taking the train from Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness, and then a few days later,
    > Inverness to Perth. I've been reading about flooding and train delays. Any first
    > hand information would be greatly appreciated.
<http://www.nationalr-
ail.co.uk/realtime/fs_realtime.htm>
The National Rail website is quite helpful. Thanks!!
Old Aug 13th 2002, 5:18 pm
Owain

"Dan McLean"wrote
    > This summer has just been declared the wettest summer since records began, about
    > 400 years ago.

<optimistic> It's not all been rain though.

> I watched TV the other night and it showed the damage done to the railway track
    > near where you are going and it looks as though the line will be closed for a few
    > weeks but not to worry, when something like this happens the railway companies
    > organise shuttle buses around the blockage and it shouldn't add more than a few
    > minutes to your journey time.

I think "a few minutes" might be overly optimistic. The line is currently expected
not to reopen before 21st August. Buses are operating between Perth and Pitlochry.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/ is the website for
the train operator concerned, check out Service Updates, Current Train Running, and
Tourist Travel.

Owain