Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ramifications of Brexit on retiring to Portugal

Ramifications of Brexit on retiring to Portugal

Old Jun 24th 2016, 6:13 am
Just Joined

goingbackornot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ramifications of Brexit on retiring to Portugal

Will the Brexit referendum result stop My Wife and I retiring to Portugal as we had been contemplating. Due to medical issues I need warmer weather. We are both UK and Australian citizens with family in the UK. Australia is now becoming harder to travel from due to travel insurance costs because of my condition. I was hoping that I could rely on the UK S1 form for medical costs in Portugal. Under the EU the move would have been easy.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 6:43 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ramifications of Brexit on retiring to Portugal

Originally Posted by goingbackornot
Will the Brexit referendum result stop My Wife and I retiring to Portugal as we had been contemplating. Due to medical issues I need warmer weather. We are both UK and Australian citizens with family in the UK. Australia is now becoming harder to travel from due to travel insurance costs because of my condition. I was hoping that I could rely on the UK S1 form for medical costs in Portugal. Under the EU the move would have been easy.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
There's a dedicated Portugal forum that you could post in, but everyone will say that it's too early to know how the Brexit will affect present and future UK expats in Europe on the healthcare front (to name just one).
Old Jun 24th 2016, 6:47 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

No-one really knows, but it will take years for it all to be sorted.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough

It certainly will not take years as the Pound has already started to fall and a weak Pound will cause all sorts of problems for Brits living in the EU. For those considering a move a downturn in UK house prices may also be a factor.

Much however will take a long time to sort out e.g. the right to work, Visa/Residency restrictions and the BIG ONE - Healthcare.
Old Jun 24th 2016, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info Just heard Nicola Sturgeon will go for a second independence referendum for Scotland so they can stay in the EU and My Wife is a Scot so this might be an avenue if all else fails.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 1:34 am
Just Joined

jonfr500 is just really nicejonfr500 is just really nicejonfr500 is just really nicejonfr500 is just really nicejonfr500 is just really nicejonfr500 is just really nicejonfr500 is just really nicejonfr500 is just really nice

Hello,

While I'm not British (I'm Icelandic). I can answer your question to some extent.

Once the UK is out of the EU formally, you will have to apply for residence permit to stay and live in Portugal like any other 3rd party national. I don't know how this works on your pension side, since that is up to UK lawmakers. Your Europe Health card (the blue one) is invalid from the day the UK leaves the EU. Since common healthcare is part of the EU membership.

The formal process of UK leaving the EU takes up to two years. If no agreement is made. UK goes out two years after the formal notice is given to the EU commission.

If you want more answers, just ask and I can try to answer them best to my knowledge.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jonfr500
Hello,

While I'm not British (I'm Icelandic). I can answer your question to some extent.

Once the UK is out of the EU formally, you will have to apply for residence permit to stay and live in Portugal like any other 3rd party national. I don't know how this works on your pension side, since that is up to UK lawmakers. Your Europe Health card (the blue one) is invalid from the day the UK leaves the EU. Since common healthcare is part of the EU membership.

The formal process of UK leaving the EU takes up to two years. If no agreement is made. UK goes out two years after the formal notice is given to the EU commission.

If you want more answers, just ask and I can try to answer them best to my knowledge.
Firstly thanks for your answer and congratulations on the football.

One thought was supposing we up sticks and went very quickly renting a place in Portugal before the UK leaves how long do we have to be there to claim permanent residency and my main worry is the health insurance cost. I reach the UK state pension age in early 2018 so under current rules would be eligible for the S1 then and wonder if the assurances that any one currently living in the EU their status would not change but does that apply to anyone going after the vote. I assume that until the dust settles on this nobody will really be able to answer this depending on our relationship with the EU.
This referendum has been a disaster.

Last edited by goingbackornot; Jun 28th 2016 at 9:45 am.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

jonfr500 is just really nicejonfr500 is just really nicejonfr500 is just really nicejonfr500 is just really nicejonfr500 is just really nicejonfr500 is just really nicejonfr500 is just really nicejonfr500 is just really nice

Firstly thanks for your answer and congratulations on the football.

One thought was supposing we up sticks and went very quickly renting a place in Portugal before the UK leaves how long do we have to be there to claim permanent residency and my main worry is the health insurance cost. I reach the UK state pension age in early 2018 so under current rules would be eligible for the S1 then and wonder if the assurances that any one currently living in the EU their status would not change but does that apply to anyone going after the vote. I assume that until the dust settles on this nobody will really be able to answer this depending on our relationship with the EU.
This referendum has been a disaster.
I'm not into football, but I did notice the victory anyway. As for the information you are seeking. I found this on the EU website.

This says that if you live longer than 5 years in any EU member-state you can acquire an permanent residence permit.

Permanent residence (>5 years) for EU nationals

UK leaving the EU takes two years as I sad earlier. Until that time the current EU law apply and do so until the exit treaty has been approved on and gets into force at agreed date. I don't think they can change (at least I would suspect) the nature of current residence living in UK and other EU member-states, but that is all up for a debate in the political area at the moment (legal issues and none of them are simple from the looks of it).
Old Jun 29th 2016, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jonfr500
I'm not into football, but I did notice the victory anyway. As for the information you are seeking. I found this on the EU website.

This says that if you live longer than 5 years in any EU member-state you can acquire an permanent residence permit.

Permanent residence (>5 years) for EU nationals

UK leaving the EU takes two years as I sad earlier. Until that time the current EU law apply and do so until the exit treaty has been approved on and gets into force at agreed date. I don't think they can change (at least I would suspect) the nature of current residence living in UK and other EU member-states, but that is all up for a debate in the political area at the moment (legal issues and none of them are simple from the looks of it).
Thanks jonfr500,

I am still in a bit of shock over the result which I believe will have consequences that many have not envisaged but time will tell.
My plans have been shot to pieces till I know what is really going to happen. A bit like the phony war in 1939.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 5:25 pm
Banned

OldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really niceOldPro is just really nice

I came to this forum expecting to find all kinds of posts on Brexit and how it will affect people today. Instead all I find is this one thread. Maybe everyone else is in shock.

I think you are indulging in wishful thinking goingbackornot. Even if you 'upped sticks' today, any retroactive right to stay in Portugal for EU nationals already living there is not going to apply to you. Those already there who will have been there for 5 years when the official exit date of the UK from the EU arrives, may be given the right to stay but it wouldn't apply to you.

So my advice is to forget wishful thinking and deal with what is. Brexit has rendered anyone thinking of using UK citizenship as a means of moving to an EU country, dead in the water as of last Friday.

However, if what you want is to retire to Portugal, there is nothing to stop you from continuing to pursue that goal as a non-EU national. Whether as a UK national or an Australian national will make no difference. Every country in the EU has Immigration laws that refer to 'EU nationals' and 'non-EU nationals'. You just need to accept that you come under the non-EU nationals category.

I am not am immigration lawyer or expert but I do believe that Portugal does offer Residency to Retirees who can prove a certain level of income. So the possibility of getting a Residency Visa does exist.
Residence Visa - Portal das Comunidades Portuguesas / Vistos
See the last category on that page.

At the same time, you are going to have to understand that any healthcare agreement for EU nationals will not apply to you. It won't apply to any Brits who are allowed to stay in Portugal after the official exit either. They may be granted residency but that won't cover healthcare. Portugal does provide basic healthcare free to all legal residents but that does not mean everything is free. Here is an explanation and what applies to EU and non-EU nationals.
Healthcare in Portugal | Expat Arrivals

From what I read there, those contemplating immigrating to Portugal need to consider that they will have to pay for private insurance to cover all their healthcare needs. That will include Brits who choose to stay after the official exit. I don't think there is any question about that whatsoever.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 8:22 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OldPro
I came to this forum expecting to find all kinds of posts on Brexit and how it will affect people today. Instead all I find is this one thread.
OldPro - it's fairly obvious you're a New Pro

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy.

And if you want some pointers to other threads, I can help (although you might not thank me, depending on your viewpoint and your tolerance for abuse )