Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Potential Move to Senica, Slovakia, some advice please?

Potential Move to Senica, Slovakia, some advice please?

Old Jul 30th 2014, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential Move to Senica, Slovakia, some advice please?

Originally Posted by rammy100
It sounds to me as though you are thinking it through, weighing up pros and cons and making an informed decision which to my mind is exactly the way to do it. If it was a choice of unemployment/burger flipping in Ireland or having a job in Slovakia which pays twice average earnings then, to me, there is no choice and who knows where this will lead. If it doesn't work out you can head home.

I would ask your employer what help he can offer in terms of securing a place to live and investigate that during your August trip. Beware too that a one-bedroom apartment means a studio as the living room is ALWAYS classed as a bedroom.

We had spent a lot of time in Budapest before we moved and had been to Brat a few times so had half an idea what to expect.

I think your young one will have it the easiest as she will naturally pick up the language and it will force you to integrate a little. I think I said before that Slovaks are family-orientated.

Back to the weather - the Slovaks talk about weather more than the Brits! - we found that seasons are more defined than the UK so there are longer colder winters but longer hotter summers. Autumn and Spring were shorter and once the weather broke, it stayed like that for ages. So it may be sunny for 2 weeks but in the winter it might snow for days on end. The beauty of this was that you knew what to expect.

You said you have lived in other places - whereabouts? I'm just curious. I really think your overseas experiences will help a lot.

Happy to help if I can.
@rammy100. Don't get me wrong, but I just wanted to help him as he's not moving for a huge wage. Just because he's getting more than the average person doesn't mean he'll have a better life over there. What's wrong flipping a burger (just an example)? A couple working at a fast food chain here can afford a 4 bed detached home, go on holiday twice a year and have a decent life. Yes you can rent a 1 bed apartment in Senica for €300 but you still need a car to get around to visit those nice places and petrol is nearly the price you pay here. My work colleague is Polish and his brother works for a fast food chain. He just bought a nice detached home with decent size garden for his family here in Ireland. He's doing well and I don't understand the mentality of some people here downgrading someone because of their job. Not one person I work with studied what they're doing now and what's wrong with that? Just something to think about and all I'm saying is what happened in Bulgaria can happen again.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

IrishGuyAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Nobody dreams of working for an insurance company when they're 18 and why would working for a fast food chain be bad. It's a job and can be just as rewarding.

That's correct, but I doubt you will start a new life in Slovakia if you and your wife aren't willing to learn the language.
I never said we would not be willing to learn the language, of course we would.

I never said it is a bad job, it's just not for me. I am lucky to work in a field that I am well qualified in, and a it is a job that I enjoy. Unfortunately, the industry is dead in Ireland, so I am forced to look further afield. Of course I would like to stay and get a well paid job in Ireland but its not going to happen, this industry is all I know, and working in a fast food chain just doesn't appeal to me,

I don't for a minute doubt Ireland is a great country, but the option of retraining and dumping my daughter with family is not an option for me at all either; I have skills that are more valued in Europe at the moment than in Ireland, so for me it'd be foolish to pigeon hole myself into staying in Ireland and going through the uncertainty of retraining/upskilling etc. Lots of people do it as you rightly say, but at the same time lots of people also move abroad to follow their career.

Originally Posted by Moses2013
@rammy100. Don't get me wrong, but I just wanted to help him as he's not moving for a huge wage. Just because he's getting more than the average person doesn't mean he'll have a better life over there. What's wrong flipping a burger (just an example)? A couple working at a fast food chain here can afford a 4 bed detached home, go on holiday twice a year and have a decent life. Yes you can rent a 1 bed apartment in Senica for €300 but you still need a car to get around to visit those nice places and petrol is nearly the price you pay here. My work colleague is Polish and his brother works for a fast food chain. He just bought a nice detached home with decent size garden for his family here in Ireland. He's doing well and I don't understand the mentality of some people here downgrading someone because of their job. Not one person I work with studied what they're doing now and what's wrong with that? Just something to think about and all I'm saying is what happened in Bulgaria can happen again.
I'm sorry but I cannot for a minute believe that. The average fast food chain pays about 8.50 an hour, less than 400E a week. That is absolute pie in the sky, there's no point pretending otherwise. Maybe someone who owns a fast food chain could afford that lifestyle but certainly not someone working there. I have plenty of friends who did that kind of work while at college, and they certainly did not have enough for a 4 bed detached house, 2 holidays a year and all the rest.

What happened in Bulgaria can always happen again, but I would think the chances of it are small. As I said above, the contract is with a German company who are pretty well known in the industry and I doubt they would risk their reputation on not paying someone
Old Jul 31st 2014, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

It sounds to me as though you are thinking it through, weighing up pros and cons and making an informed decision which to my mind is exactly the way to do it. If it was a choice of unemployment/burger flipping in Ireland or having a job in Slovakia which pays twice average earnings then, to me, there is no choice and who knows where this will lead. If it doesn't work out you can head home.

I would ask your employer what help he can offer in terms of securing a place to live and investigate that during your August trip. Beware too that a one-bedroom apartment means a studio as the living room is ALWAYS classed as a bedroom.

We had spent a lot of time in Budapest before we moved and had been to Brat a few times so had half an idea what to expect.

I think your young one will have it the easiest as she will naturally pick up the language and it will force you to integrate a little. I think I said before that Slovaks are family-orientated.

Back to the weather - the Slovaks talk about weather more than the Brits! - we found that seasons are more defined than the UK so there are longer colder winters but longer hotter summers. Autumn and Spring were shorter and once the weather broke, it stayed like that for ages. So it may be sunny for 2 weeks but in the winter it might snow for days on end. The beauty of this was that you knew what to expect.

You said you have lived in other places - whereabouts? I'm just curious. I really think your overseas experiences will help a lot.

Happy to help if I can.
Yes the employer has already offered to help me with the accommodation. So that will be a help if we do decide to make the move. And you're right, burger flipping in Ireland is not the life I dreamed of. If it doesn't work out we can always come home. There is always a chance that something goes wrong but there is a chance of that in everything in life, whether it is changing jobs/moving house etc.

At the moment it is a job, and while it may not be the perfect job, it is far from the worst job. Fortunately we are at the stage where school is some way off for our daughter, so if ever there is a time to try these things and fail, it is now.

I have lived in Norway, studied in Scotland, and then Canada, Cyprus, back to Scotland (daughter was born there) for work for a few years, then briefly Bulgaria. And am now back in Ireland. So I understand the challenges of living abroad. We are both easy going adaptable people, just slightly worried how far off the beaten track Senica appears to be with regard to English speakers or expats, not that that's the be all and end all. Suppose we can judge how far off the beaten path it is in August when we go out and make an informed decision then
Old Jul 31st 2014, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IrishGuyAbroad
I never said we would not be willing to learn the language, of course we would.

I never said it is a bad job, it's just not for me. I am lucky to work in a field that I am well qualified in, and a it is a job that I enjoy. Unfortunately, the industry is dead in Ireland, so I am forced to look further afield. Of course I would like to stay and get a well paid job in Ireland but its not going to happen, this industry is all I know, and working in a fast food chain just doesn't appeal to me,

I don't for a minute doubt Ireland is a great country, but the option of retraining and dumping my daughter with family is not an option for me at all either; I have skills that are more valued in Europe at the moment than in Ireland, so for me it'd be foolish to pigeon hole myself into staying in Ireland and going through the uncertainty of retraining/upskilling etc. Lots of people do it as you rightly say, but at the same time lots of people also move abroad to follow their career.

I'm sorry but I cannot for a minute believe that. The average fast food chain pays about 8.50 an hour, less than 400E a week. That is absolute pie in the sky, there's no point pretending otherwise. Maybe someone who owns a fast food chain could afford that lifestyle but certainly not someone working there. I have plenty of friends who did that kind of work while at college, and they certainly did not have enough for a 4 bed detached house, 2 holidays a year and all the rest.

What happened in Bulgaria can always happen again, but I would think the chances of it are small. As I said above, the contract is with a German company who are pretty well known in the industry and I doubt they would risk their reputation on not paying someone
It was no offence, but why should I lie to you and at least I made an effort to give you advice. The fast food thing was just an example and there are plenty of other jobs. I didn't tell you to dump your child, but at least here you have family which is also important for a child and as you said job is job. I don't know what people spend their money on, but 2 people earning €8.50 the hour can certainly have a decent life here. Just look how cheap property is and your mortgage can be under €500 for a 4 bed detached house 20 mins from Galway City as an example. You said: have plenty of friends who did that kind of work while at college, and they certainly did not have enough for a 4 bed detached house, 2 holidays a year and all the rest. Students (Well that explains it), because they probably spent all their money on drink and cigarettes.
Old Aug 9th 2014, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

roy Lewis is an unknown quantity at this point

Figure you mention is a good salary for Slovakia.
To rent a decent flat in Bratislava is around
400 euros p.m.
COL is not cheap though
Good Luck
Old Oct 8th 2014, 6:57 am
Just Joined

emmacurlin31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
the information above is really helpful, i an also planing for the relocation in the Sweden. this data is definitely help me out.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Just to give anyone who is interested an update...

I made the move here in mid September, my partner and daughter joining me a few weeks later. My employer helped us find a decent apartment, bit on the small side but a good starting point. E450 per month with all bills included, so we are happy enough with it.

Still saving towards a car, will probably wait until after Christmas at this stage, so it has been a bit of a drag been stuck in the same town for so long.

First impressions, I am happy enough. The job is going well, but communication is VERY difficult. Trying desperately to work on the language, but its been difficult. We are a bit off the beaten track, probably the only foreigners in the whole town, and not too many English speakers (which of course we knew already). Some restaurants here do have English menus (not sure why) so eating out is no problem. Cost of living, day to day things and the weekly grocery shop has been ok and affordable so far. No regrets yet anyway, although it is early days. Priority is to work on the language, and get ourselves a car so we can begin to experience a bit more than just this one town.

Also at the moment, we are in the process of getting everything registered, letters from landlord, contracts etc, bit of a pain but has to be done

Anyway

Thank you all for the advice, was a big help in us reaching a decision...

emmacurlin31, are you moving to Senica or to Sweden? I am sorry I didn/t quite understand your post
Old Nov 4th 2014, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

rammy100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well congratulations! Strangely, I stumbled across this post last week and wondered if you had made the move.

My biggest struggle was with a small apartment. The two-bedroom place of course is only one bedroom and, after living in a 3-bedroom house with a big garden it was a bit of a shock. I can recall my first reaction as I walked in the door was "is this it? I can't live here". Still, I did and in time I actually learned that two people and a small dog don't need a 3-bedroom house with loads of "stuff". I can now live quite comfortably in a much smaller place although I can tell that some of my friends think we're mad. They are the ones living in huge houses with stressful jobs though.

I have to say that a car made a big difference to me in Slovakia but I would try to have a few short breaks using public transport or a hire/borrowed car as it helped to ease me in. Might help you too.

I also learned to keep costs down by shopping seasonally (food is really cheap in-season), cooking from scratch (of course you need time to do this) and bulk-buying when things that I would use are on offer. I still do this now and cringe at the amount of money we used to spend on food.

Anyway, best of luck. Winter will be here soon but over relatively quickly too.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Ata isaeli?
Old Feb 6th 2015, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Well congratulations! Strangely, I stumbled across this post last week and wondered if you had made the move.

My biggest struggle was with a small apartment. The two-bedroom place of course is only one bedroom and, after living in a 3-bedroom house with a big garden it was a bit of a shock. I can recall my first reaction as I walked in the door was "is this it? I can't live here". Still, I did and in time I actually learned that two people and a small dog don't need a 3-bedroom house with loads of "stuff". I can now live quite comfortably in a much smaller place although I can tell that some of my friends think we're mad. They are the ones living in huge houses with stressful jobs though.

I have to say that a car made a big difference to me in Slovakia but I would try to have a few short breaks using public transport or a hire/borrowed car as it helped to ease me in. Might help you too.

I also learned to keep costs down by shopping seasonally (food is really cheap in-season), cooking from scratch (of course you need time to do this) and bulk-buying when things that I would use are on offer. I still do this now and cringe at the amount of money we used to spend on food.

Anyway, best of luck. Winter will be here soon but over relatively quickly too.
Hi rammy.

Not been on here in a while. Still settling in here, picking up some language, although we are going to look at getting some proper lessons in the next few weeks. Also looking into getting a car before the end of the month. Been on the bus a few times to Trnava, not ventured into Bratislava yet though.

The apartment, yeh very small (and not child friendly) and we have been half keeping an eye out to see what is available. Its not a major issue, but if something better came along we would take it. Kind of toying with the idea of moving a little closer to Trnava, but we will see. Not much happening in Senica for my partner to do during the day, and from speaking to some people Trnava might be a better option family wise, although I think to move to Trnava itself might be a bit of a trek every morning!

Plenty of small (and probably cheaper) villages between here and Trnava, and I like the romantic idea of a nice house in a small, sleepy country village, as opposed to the concrete jungle we are in at the moment, but the reality is probably totally different and might be a struggle for 2 foreigners who don't speak the language

Still getting our heads around the shopping,and we are managing a lot better than before. Still covered in snow here, was great to begin with, but kind of had enough at this stage. Slippy pavements and a child with cabin fever is not much fun!

So all in all, still going well and no regrets, just wishing for summer at this stage!
Old Feb 6th 2015, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

There are not many of us in Slovakia.
Will you be there in June? Perhaps we all could meet up.
My Wife and I are in Saudi at the moment. We live in Trencin by the way.
Drop me a line.
Roy Lewis