Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Poland questions

Poland questions

Old Aug 16th 2014, 9:37 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Poland questions

Good day all!
I couldn't find a dedicated forum area for Poland so I thought I would post here. Mods please feel free to move it to the appropriate area if needed.

My sister has decided to move to Poland with her 4 kids. Numerous reasons for the move, some of them personal so I wont go into them but I have a few questions if anyone has been there or is living there. Would appreciate any and all pointers or 'heads up' that you can provide as well. She will be in Targowek in Warsaw.

1. What are the rents there like? for a 2-3 bedroom flat or house? maintenance wise what is better to go for? a house or a flat?

2. Any decent English only schools in the vicinity? any idea about school fees?

3. She would be getting a residency there so will probably will get medical etc from the government. Are the government run clinics/hospitals any good?

4. What is a good bank to go for? One that can accept transfers from the UK and also from Dubai? very important point

5. I guess this question can be asked a bit later on but which service provider to go for communication? internet / gsm etc?

any other pro tips will be appreciated
Cheers
Old Aug 17th 2014, 4:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poland questions

Not sure why one would make a decision like that without investigating the above factors, and others, thoroughly first.

English only schools? There are international schools in Poland, like in most places, that generally operate through English. But these are normally fee paying.

What's the plan longer term? If it's to settle permanently in Poland, become Polish citizens in due course, etc, then shouldn't the normal choice be the (Polish speaking) public school system in Poland?

Banking. Most banks, everywhere, do international wire transfers every day.

As for the rest, perhaps use a search facility, Google, etc.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:17 am

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not sure why one would make a decision like that without investigating the above factors, and others, thoroughly first.

English only schools? There are international schools in Poland, like in most places, that generally operate through English. But these are normally fee paying.

What's the plan longer term? If it's to settle permanently in Poland, become Polish citizens in due course, etc, then shouldn't the normal choice be the (Polish speaking) public school system in Poland?

Banking. Most banks, everywhere, do international wire transfers every day.

As for the rest, perhaps use a search facility, Google, etc.
Hi JAJ,
thanks for the response.
Yeah I understand where you are coming from regarding the research but as I said earlier there are a number of reasons she is doing it, so all I can do is do the research for her.
Yes, the long term plan for her is Polish nationality and the younger 3 will be going into the public system and in due course will learn the language, the question was aimed for the elder one (16 I think).
Banks : check, thanks.
I ofcourse am using all the search facilities hence part of that search was a posting here
I thankyou once again kind sir
Cheers
Old Aug 18th 2014, 9:20 am
Just Joined

namyytoody is an unknown quantity at this point

To find public communication (e.g. the better for a kids) you can use "jakdojade" is popular polish website. I think is better to you is rental a flat
Old Aug 18th 2014, 9:34 am

that looks a variation of google maps to me?
Old Aug 19th 2014, 3:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Yeah I understand where you are coming from regarding the research but as I said earlier there are a number of reasons she is doing it, so all I can do is do the research for her.
Re. research, there are good search engines out there, for example, Google, Bing, etc.

Yes, the long term plan for her is Polish nationality and the younger 3 will be going into the public system and in due course will learn the language, the question was aimed for the elder one (16 I think).
16 is not usually a good age to make a move between countries. Does the teenager in question speak Polish and/or have a positive mindset towards becoming part of the Polish system? Would the plan be to attend a Polish university/post-secondary college, or return to the U.K./Ireland for post-18 education?

It's normally 10 years for Polish citizenship, as far as I know, although can be less in certain circumstances. Including marriage to a Polish citizen.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Re. research, there are good search engines out there, for example, Google, Bing, etc.
google? what strange word is that? bing? these are strange times we live in indeed!!
im in IT mate btw

Originally Posted by JAJ
16 is not usually a good age to make a move between countries. Does the teenager in question speak Polish and/or have a positive mindset towards becoming part of the Polish system? Would the plan be to attend a Polish university/post-secondary college, or return to the U.K./Ireland for post-18 education?

It's normally 10 years for Polish citizenship, as far as I know, although can be less in certain circumstances. Including marriage to a Polish citizen.
16 is not usually a good age for anything for a teenager mate but I understand where you are coming from, nah he is a good one, was a bit rough around the edges till about a few years ago but has settled down now
yeah, the plans so far are to get them to learn the language asap so they dont have to move out of the country again
from what I have been told, she is getting a residency and in 7 years eligible for citizenship
again I appreciate your inputs
Old Oct 21st 2014, 6:48 am
Just Joined

emmacurlin31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
My anty is also lives in poland. She told me that really jakdojade is one of famous site in poland to find public communication.