British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Poland... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/poland-182992/)

Andiii Oct 6th 2003 9:18 am

Poland...

This is a great forum! I've been a lurker for some time now but I've finally worked up the courage to post and ask my question.

I'd like to spend two to three months in Poland. I was curious about expenses, though.

I was wondering how much I would be looking at to stay in Poland, say 80-85 days?

I had in mind $6000 Australian dollars for accomodation and living expenses (not to mention travel to various cities within Poland). This would total almost $16, 000 zloty.

A Polish penpal tells me that the average family in Poland earns 800 zloty a month. That means I'd be considerably well off. But, am I jumping the gun in assuming that $6000 Australian dollars is enough for a three month stay?

One last query: The general cost of an airplane ticket to Berlin, Germany* is $2200- $2500. From there, I'd take a train to Warsaw. Is there a cheaper route?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post!

* There are no direct flights from Melbourne, Australia to Warsaw, Poland.

Andiii Oct 7th 2003 10:13 am

No one here has been to Poland? :(

polishvisitor Oct 8th 2003 7:36 pm

Re: Poland...

Originally posted by Andiii
This is a great forum! I've been a lurker for some time now but I've finally worked up the courage to post and ask my question.

I'd like to spend two to three months in Poland. I was curious about expenses, though.

I was wondering how much I would be looking at to stay in Poland, say 80-85 days?

I had in mind $6000 Australian dollars for accomodation and living expenses (not to mention travel to various cities within Poland). This would total almost $16, 000 zloty.

A Polish penpal tells me that the average family in Poland earns 800 zloty a month. That means I'd be considerably well off. But, am I jumping the gun in assuming that $6000 Australian dollars is enough for a three month stay?

One last query: The general cost of an airplane ticket to Berlin, Germany* is $2200- $2500. From there, I'd take a train to Warsaw. Is there a cheaper route?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post!

* There are no direct flights from Melbourne, Australia to Warsaw, Poland.
Hello
I dont know how much worht is canadian dollar I tell you prices in polish currency
First of all it all depends where you gonna be staying, warszawa is very expensive comparing to rest of poland
When I go over and party for two weeks I spend on average $60 US per day.
Beer cost you 1 US dollar at most places, average meal in good restaurant 20 zlotych , food is very inexpensive you shouldnt be spending more then 500 per month eating out.
Train will be probably the best bet for travel for safety price and speed
Good luck in poland

stanford_ab Jun 23rd 2004 8:13 pm

Andiii,

AU$6000 will be a fine travel budget. I'm in Poland at the moment and can easily do it for 100 zloty a day ($40 AU) including accomodation, beer, looking around and stuff.

Poland is a great country which I am sure you will enjoy. As far as flights go it seems like that might be a little high (but I suppose this is high season as far as airfares go). For that price I got a round the world airfare taking in Japan and the states as well...so I would check your prices. Recommend STA travel wherever you are.

I'm in poland at the moment and having a fantastic time in a city called Gdansk. I highly recommend spending a few days here at least when you need a place to rest up a bit. Lots of really interesting things to do on nearby day trips (Malbork castle; biggest in Europe, Hel; an old traditional fishing village, Westerplatte; where the first shots of WWII were fired, a beautiful old town in Gdansk itself and even a ferry to Kalingrad (that wierd bit of Russia all alone next to Lithuania - no visa required if you don't get off the boat). In short - recommend Gdansk.

Oh - if you come here you MUST stay at hostel Przy Targu Rybnym - a fantastic place right in the old town of Gdansk - I turned up here and couldn't leave for week - fantastic atmosphere with a whole heap of freebies - AU$15 (40zl) a night including bike hire, kyack hire, internet, laundry - unbelievable! Really enjoyed it here! Check out their website: www.gdanskhostel.com

Best of luck with your Polish travels! I am sure you will have a blast! Make sure you make some local friends and don't be too much of a 'tourist' - be a TRAVELLER!

Good luck!
Adam

Bose Sep 12th 2004 11:19 am

Hey good people, an aussie here who's just after a bit of advice... might even be a beer in it for you in the future :beer:

I'm a 27 year old male who has travelled a bit around Australia but never ventured into the outside world. I've made my mind up to go over, possibly for up to 2 or more years, but have had bugger-all idea about where I want to go. My cousin just returned from Europe and said I couldn't go wrong with central/eastern Europe, and threw up the Czech Republic as a recommendation. I have done a bit of research online and it seems as though there's plenty of foreigners there and that they tend to gravitate towards each other. I'm sorta after something a little different, and talking to two blokes at work, both who have Polish parents, I've been leaning towards Poland as my destination.

I guess this is aimed more to you stanford_ab, as you're pretty much the first forum member I've seen living there. I have enrolled in a TEFL course and hope to find work teaching english, something which I have read is a realistic aim in Poland, particularily Warsaw. But I'd rather another city... you could live in Sydney for 2 years and not really get a true aussie experience, so I expect the same would be true with Poland/Warsaw. I guess what I'm asking for is anything you can tell me about Poland. I wont ask too many questions yet as I'll wait to see if you (or anyone else) still frequent this thread...

ukfaffa Sep 13th 2004 6:26 pm

I am interested in hearing from any UK citizen that has relocated to Poland. I am sure I am not the only one attempting this and am finding absolutely everything hard work. The current issues are owning a car and getting household contents insurance but it would be nice to get any contact with people sharing the same frustrations :)

pwwm Sep 14th 2004 12:15 pm

We have family connections in Poland and I have to say although it is great visiting them, and it is still very cheap to live and stay, not as much as when I first went 15 years ago, but they are dragging themselves into the 21st century but still along way to go, find out re medical care, I would think private has to be best and I speak from some family experience. They are still a poor nation. Friendly people. Have a good time let us know how you get on, remember if you are there in winter it is VERY cold, but summers are very nice. Have fun :cool: