Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

planning for the Slovenian euro crisis

planning for the Slovenian euro crisis

Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

fizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to all
Default Re: planning for the Slovenian euro crisis

So we can expect higher taxes and further cuts to public sector salaries. The Troika knew there was a lot of money squirreled away in Cyprus and so insisted that the Cypriot government did something to raise some of the money needed themselves. What does Slovenia have? Not much presumably. Would the Troika just allow Slovenia to go under in that case?
Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

mbkarl is on a distinguished road

Depends the new government claim to be forward thinking.....

Forward thinking would be reducing the tax burden on ordinary people, if people have more spare money they will spend it.

Encourage foreign investment, instead of been scared of it, where else in the world do MPs own/have large shares in supermarkets???

I'm ranting and possibly talking rubbish............
Old Apr 11th 2013, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

24digital24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all your ideas I think even if the worst does happen this has given as a chance to think and prepare.
The UK is in a lucky position as it can print money and inflate itself out of its mess and cause the pound to devalue, but the wobbly euro states are locked into a fixed level set by Germany.
All Euros have serial number. Germany starts with an X and Slovenia starts with an H (so spend H and save X, simple!). If it all full’s apart the German ones should be more usable in the short term if not stuff the mattress with Green Backs and Gold bars.
I read the Slovenian bad banks are owned by the state and do not have a lot of large investors in them unlike Cyprus so if they do fail it will be up to the Slovenian state to find money from where ever it can to make good the losses. E.g. this will be taken from all the little people and us.
I seam to have double trouble, or is it just bad luck with a place in France as well. Which seams to be hell bent on joining all the failed countries and with its latest track record could be there before Slovenia.
Also thank you to MGM for reminding me about Roy and Justy. I have read their books from cover to cover on walking in Slovenia and even if I can not experiance all of these trails for real I can at least curl up next to the fire and read all about them again.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

fizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to allfizzytom is a name known to all

I had this explained yesterday and I was kind of on the right lines.

If Slovenia comes out of the Euro they'll have to issue their own currency. Germany is the country least likely to leave the Euro. It is feasible that if you try to do a currency exchange on a Slovenian Euro note you will get a less favourable exchange rate than if you exchange a German Euro note.

Here is another question that I suppose depends on what happens and probably can't be definitively answered.

If Slovenia comes out of the € will the bank switch your balance to the new amount, or will you have to physically do something yourself?

Having said that, I can't see Slovenia leaving the €, things may get worse before they get better but I just don't seem them leaving.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 1:41 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Just to advise, Ray is sorry that his posts were misunderstood, he assures me (and he is a good long term poster) that no offence was meant at all ... please bear in mind not all on here have English as a first language and therefore sometimes there are misunderstandings
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

24digital24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Fizzytom. I agree with you, I can not see Slovenia leaving the Euro club.
but if this was to happen I think they would need a total shut down while the new currency is brought in. This could be a week like Cyprus has just experienced or it could be even longer.
Having just finished the last of my Slovenian food. When I come over in 2 weeks time I will be spending my Euros to stock up and do my bit to help their economy out of this mess and paying my house tax at the same time.
CM