Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

planning on moving abroad

planning on moving abroad

Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Liznat1811 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default planning on moving abroad

Me and my OH are talking about moving abroad with our 5 month old daughter! The problem we are having is where! My main concerns are lang barriers and job front! I know that many places in Europe are suffering with the economy and that jobs are few and far between! I have had suggested to me that maybe starting a business abroad is an option but again i feel this is risky! I want my daughter to really benefit from the move. Its such a huge step and i want to pick the right country! xx
Old Feb 19th 2010, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of
Default Re: planning on moving abroad

Hi,

It also depends a lot on where you're from. If you're from an EU country,then moving to another EU country eliminates a lot of the legal hassle and red tape regarding visas and permits. Moving between a non-EU country and an EU country (in either direction) will involve many more bureaucratic headaches.

Also, it'll depend on your field of professional expertise. Even if you don't speak the language (initially) some skills are actively sought in other countries and it may be possible to get work in your field, especially at global/international companies where English is used as standard anyway, or other small companies that have been set up by expats.

Setting up your own business is a good plan, but only if you feel you have a specific talent that'll be both rare to find and actively sought in your target country. Even then, you would need some capital initially to set the business up (depending on the type of business this could be more or less) and also to support yourself through the initially stages. If you predict that your business will need 6 months until it's generating a steady, sustainable income, then you'll need 6 months' of housing costs (rent, bills) and living expenses to see you though to the breakeven point. That can amount to a hefty chunk of cash!

The best thing to do, in my opinion, would be to initially work for a company until you find your feet in the country you choose, and then you can start setting up your own business in your free time.

As for where, I guess you need to state your priorities and what kind of life you envision yourselves having abroad. I live in Romania, and lived in Turkey before that, and both fulfilled different parts of the 'expat dream'. Turkey was much more interesting, more lively, nicer people, more sociable lifestyle. Romania is better financially and it's easier to work here (less red tape, better opportunities in my field) but the lifestyle isn't as much fun and the people less friendly.

All the best
Old Apr 11th 2010, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Rural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really niceRural Bulgaria is just really nice

Originally Posted by Liznat1811
Me and my OH are talking about moving abroad with our 5 month old daughter! The problem we are having is where! My main concerns are lang barriers and job front! I know that many places in Europe are suffering with the economy and that jobs are few and far between! I have had suggested to me that maybe starting a business abroad is an option but again i feel this is risky! I want my daughter to really benefit from the move. Its such a huge step and i want to pick the right country! xx
It is good that you are considering this now before you move. I have been helping people buy property and relocate to Bulgaria for a few years and its amazing how many people don't think about how they will earn any money. They think because Bulgaria is cheap to live they can live off nothing. And to some extent you can live very cheaply, growing all your own veg and fruit and food in general is very cheap, but do need some income to cover electric, water etc.

I would not worry too much about your little girl. Friends moved to Bulgaria around 3 years ago with their one year old. She has a great life and picked up language easily at local kindergarten. They now have another baby as well.

Do you have any skills such as writing, IT etc as could do freelance work then over the internet. Then can move anywhere.

Rachel

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Apr 11th 2010 at 8:14 am. Reason: Url removed
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:33 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and you've done well to ask for advice on the BE forum without rose-tinted glasses or blinkers!
I would advise crossing France off your list, for all the reasons you've mentioned in your post. It's really not the time to move here, esp. with a baby...
If you want Europe, have you considered Eire, or other English speaking States (Malta...)? There would be no language barrier, therefore one problem less to consider....
Good luck in your search!
P.S. Have just noticed you've posted elsewhere and replies confirm what I haven't said above, i.e. you must learn the language and take enough money to last a couple of years, esp. as you haven't got jobs you can do on internet....

Last edited by dmu; Apr 11th 2010 at 9:39 am.