British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Parking speeding and road tolls in europe, the curates egg (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/parking-speeding-road-tolls-europe-curates-egg-855722/)

uk_grenada Apr 2nd 2015 10:00 am

Parking speeding and road tolls in europe, the curates egg

So the EU have agreed that all fines and tolls will be persued in a persons home country regardless of where inthe eu the problem or offense occured. Brits however have until 2017 before this happens, the rest - yor bailiffs will be visiting you shortly... As this is a cash generating business, it WILL be persued with vigour by private contractors adding their fees and supported by the greedy european governments. UK drivers speeding in Europe can no longer dodge fines as EU approves crackdown | This is Money

dmu Apr 2nd 2015 10:13 am

Re: Parking speeding and road tolls in europe, the curates egg

Originally Posted by bob_grenada (Post 11609130)
So the EU have agreed that all fines and tolls will be persued in a persons home country regardless of where inthe eu the problem or offense occured. Brits however have until 2017 before this happens, the rest - yor bailiffs will be visiting you shortly... As this is a cash generating business, it WILL be persued with vigour by private contractors adding their fees and supported by the greedy european governments. UK drivers speeding in Europe can no longer dodge fines as EU approves crackdown | This is Money

The ideal solution is to avoid speeding!;)

mikelincs Apr 2nd 2015 10:17 am

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 11609138)
The ideal solution is to avoid speeding!;)

That's always a good idea. also not to break any other traffic laws..:lol:

uk_grenada Apr 2nd 2015 10:27 am

I agree ingeneral, the problem is sometimes the diversity of them. Eg, i was in switzerland, and drove into italy for lunch. Theres a street full of parked cars, with space for one. It was on the middle of a bend, i didnt know there was a law saying you could park on a bemnd, but not on the middle of the bend? No signs or road markings, but i got a ticket. Ignored of course. Logically i have no clue why all the other cars were ok but i wasnt. Ignorance of the law is an excuse imho if its not harmonised in europe so we have at least a chance to know about it.

mikelincs Apr 2nd 2015 11:11 am

Originally Posted by bob_grenada (Post 11609150)
I agree ingeneral, the problem is sometimes the diversity of them. Eg, i was in switzerland, and drove into italy for lunch. Theres a street full of parked cars, with space for one. It was on the middle of a bend, i didnt know there was a law saying you could park on a bemnd, but not on the middle of the bend? No signs or road markings, but i got a ticket. Ignored of course. Logically i have no clue why all the other cars were ok but i wasnt. Ignorance of the law is an excuse imho if its not harmonised in europe so we have at least a chance to know about it.

If the locals left a space there, then it's not a good idea to fill it..

uk_grenada Apr 2nd 2015 11:43 am

With 20/20 hindsight definitely. Its like parking on a us street, not in front of the water hydrant. At least they mark the roads though...

BritInParis Apr 2nd 2015 12:41 pm

I suspect you'll have a different opinion if it was an Italian driver being ticketed for illegally parking in the UK.

uk_grenada Apr 2nd 2015 12:43 pm

Not really, if we are all fined, as i said, if the rules are clear, no problem. Remember, in the uk you can challenge a parking fine successfully if the sign or road marking wasnt correct...

mikelincs Apr 2nd 2015 2:31 pm

Ignorance of the law is NEVER an excuse, everyone should research before visiting another country. Road laws will NEVER be harmonised within the EU, never mind the rest of Europe.

uk_grenada Apr 2nd 2015 2:34 pm

You are quoting a piece of british case law, i wouldnt think it actually holds in any other country verbatim, but some probably have similar ideas. Never say bruxelles wont harmonise something, they love that.

dmu Apr 2nd 2015 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by bob_grenada (Post 11609356)
You are quoting a piece of british case law, i wouldnt think it actually holds in any other country verbatim, but some probably have similar ideas. Never say bruxelles wont harmonise something, they love that.

"Ignorantia juris non excusat" isn't exclusively British....

teuchterpete May 27th 2015 6:27 am

Whatch out for speed limits too, a relative of mine got a ticket for speeding fine in France just 7km per hour over limit. Posted to his house here in Spain and translated into Spanish. At least he could pay at local bank.