British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Obtaining an NIE number? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/obtaining-nie-number-242637/)

Mark Leon Jul 16th 2004 8:56 pm

Obtaining an NIE number?

Hi all,

I need to get an NIE number for when I move to Spain.

What is the best and easiest way to get one. I have heard you have to go to a police station to apply but this can be a bit long winded. Also I have heard lawyers can do all the work for you if you go with them, this would be useful as my Spanish is still in its infancy. This service would cost £100.

Helpful advice would be much appreciated

Thanks Mark :)

jdr Jul 16th 2004 9:41 pm

There was a post on this a little while ago, but i cant find it in search. Maybe someone can remember the post ????

I did mine, it was a doddle, get the form from the police st.
Fill it in,basic Spanish like name addy and why you want NIE "work" plus 2 copies of form, passport plus 2 copies, take back.
They will check it for you, if its OK you return 4.5 weeks later and pick it up.
Took approx ten mins total, and cost less than a € :D :D or pay me 95 quid and i will do it for you......

lynnxa Jul 17th 2004 8:27 am

Easy peasy - costs nothing except the price of the photocopies and the photos you need.

You need:
The completed form & a photocopy
2 photocopies of your passport
2 passport photos

check locally as to which police station does them

the boudiers Jul 17th 2004 8:49 am

Hi everyone:) I had heard that you automatically get one if you are buying a property an not renting.Is this true?Also,do you have to have one for everyone or just over say 16's.

And if its that easy,i will charge 95 euros myself to everyone;) ;)

zads Jul 17th 2004 10:19 am

not sure but I don't think you automaticaly get an NIE No. when you buy a property , I'd say It's more a case of needing the number before you can buy, so your ever so friendly developer/ agent will practically do it for you apart from actually presenting the documents at the police station.

lynnxa Jul 17th 2004 10:39 am

Originally posted by the boudiers
Hi everyone:) I had heard that you automatically get one if you are buying a property an not renting.Is this true?Also,do you have to have one for everyone or just over say 16's.

And if its that easy,i will charge 95 euros myself to everyone;) ;)

you have to have one before you can buy a property - you don't get one beause you buy one.

we were also recommended to get NIE no's for our 2 children (8&4) at the same time as applying for ours, saving time later - it takes no longer to apply for 4 than to apply for 2.

the boudiers Jul 17th 2004 12:28 pm

Ok then,thanks loads,all this info is being stored in my harrassed brain!!!!!

I will just have to fill in 6 of the bloody things!!??!!If filling in bleedin tax forms over here isnt enough:D :D

So no takers on the doing it for everyone else then for a snip at 95 euros:)

pathfinder Jul 17th 2004 4:46 pm

hi

as everyone has said the process for getting your nie is really simple...I'll email you the forms if you like.

With regards to the residency then that's alittle bit more complicated as you have to return to the station to do fingerprints, pay money into the bank and eventually pick up the days though the residents card takes from card. The NIE normally takes a max. of 7 days though residence takes from 1 to 3 months depending.

regards
Danny
www.relocatingtoandalucia.com
[email protected]

lynnxa Jul 18th 2004 8:15 am

Originally posted by pathfinder
hi

as everyone has said the process for getting your nie is really simple...I'll email you the forms if you like.

With regards to the residency then that's alittle bit more complicated as you have to return to the station to do fingerprints, pay money into the bank and eventually pick up the days though the residents card takes from card. The NIE normally takes a max. of 7 days though residence takes from 1 to 3 months depending.

regards
Danny
[email protected]

the length of time it takes took get your NIE can vary from 1 week to several months - depending upon where you are & the time of year.

before you apply for residency check that you actually need it - unless you are retired or of independent means it is no longer required (see Ukinspain website - the british consulate site)

pathfinder Jul 18th 2004 9:22 pm

sorry, I've never heard of a NIE taking months...residency yes but not NIE.

Sandi Jul 19th 2004 12:44 am

We finally applied for our NIE recently and were told to go back to collect it at a different office in 4-5 wks. I suppose it depends on the area you live in and how many people they have applying at any one time :confused:

sibsie Jul 19th 2004 3:06 am

The law was changed some time last year so that you can no longer use a rep, estate agent or anyone else to get the NIE on your behalf.

It can take ages depending on the area you're in. I know that people in the South of Alicante were facing a long old wait and that residency was taking around 2 years.

lynnxa Jul 19th 2004 11:55 am

a friend of mine waited 4 months - we waited 8 weeks

Nige Jul 23rd 2004 10:20 pm

OK. So you are buying in Spain. I bought in Spain and no NIE required just loads of money and a British passport. However for doing a few things mainly concerned with the TAX MAN you will need some sort of IDENTITY so you can get registered and put on a computer. To get an NIE you can just tootle off to your nearest National police staion (to find your nearest one in Andalucia look at:http://www.mir.es/dni/donde/donde1.htm
Then you need to go equipped with the form ! Get it off: http://dgei.mir.es/en/general/ex14.pdf
And it may be wise to have some photocopies of your passport togther with a couple of passport photos for each application !
If you are lucky , and this is normal, you may find a kind and considerate offfical who will process the form and tell you to come back in 4 or 5 days to collect your LETTER which shows that you have a NUMBER and that this number will be your IDENTIFICATION !!! I don't think it's necessary to have an NIE to open a bank account (non resident) in Spain as you have to sign a form saying you are a non resident)
This is all good experience and will only cost the price of any copies / photos.
Why waste money when you can immerse yourself in Spanish.

Silvz Jul 29th 2004 2:59 pm

hi

regards
Danny
[email protected]
Hey, could you send em to me? I need to get a number ASAP... :s