British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Non resident status and tax in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/non-resident-status-tax-uk-582534/)

Polishpaul Jan 7th 2009 8:40 pm

Non resident status and tax in UK

Hi,

I am in a whole load of sh*t about my tax situation. I am a UK citizen trying to avoid being ordinarily resident in the UK despite having worked there this tax year in order to avoid paying tax on my Polish earnings. This problem is very complicated - it not only concerns this tax year, but goes back a number of years.

I was wondering if anyone knows a tried and trusted tax adviser who knows the issues of residency an tax inside out. In fact, I have the feeling I need a magician to get me out of this one. Does anybody know of any that are UK based?

Mitzyboy Jan 8th 2009 10:09 am

Re: Non resident status and tax in UK

Originally Posted by Polishpaul (Post 7138505)
Hi,

I am in a whole load of sh*t about my tax situation. I am a UK citizen trying to avoid being ordinarily resident in the UK despite having worked there this tax year in order to avoid paying tax on my Polish earnings. This problem is very complicated - it not only concerns this tax year, but goes back a number of years.

I was wondering if anyone knows a tried and trusted tax adviser who knows the issues of residency an tax inside out. In fact, I have the feeling I need a magician to get me out of this one. Does anybody know of any that are UK based?

Do you mean you live in the UK but earn money in Poland?
As I understand it you can only be resident in one country

Where are you in the UK. I can put you in touch with someone who has contacts but he's in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire

Polishpaul Jan 8th 2009 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 7140670)
Do you mean you live in the UK but earn money in Poland?
As I understand it you can only be resident in one country

Where are you in the UK. I can put you in touch with someone who has contacts but he's in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire

Thank you so much for your reply and offer of help. I am resident in Poland and I also work in Poland. However, I have recently also been working in the UK and this could continue.

Yes I would be very grateful of any contacts (are they maginicians?).

Many thanks - greatly appreciated!

Polishpaul Jan 8th 2009 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Polishpaul (Post 7143169)
Thank you so much for your reply and offer of help. I am resident in Poland and I also work in Poland. However, I have recently also been working in the UK and this could continue.

Yes I would be very grateful of any contacts (are they maginicians?).

Many thanks - greatly appreciated!

Sorry, Mitzyboy, I forgot to say that I am based in Norfolk and London when in the UK. But I am grateful of any help wherever it might come from - so I would appreciate details of your contact in Warickshire.

Mitzyboy Jan 9th 2009 6:09 pm

Wow, thats very confusing .... you're a Polish resident but you are based in London :eek:

A Spanish resident for instance who earns in UK should pay his tax in Spain normally. Shouldn't you have applied for zero tax in the UK

Anyways, its probably far more complicated than I think, I'll pm you a number

Mitzyboy Jan 9th 2009 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 7146147)
Wow, thats very confusing .... you're a Polish resident but you are based in London :eek:

A Spanish resident for instance who earns in UK should pay his tax in Spain normally. Shouldn't you have applied for zero tax in the UK

Anyways, its probably far more complicated than I think, I'll pm you a number

Ahhh, I cant until you have a few more posts

Polishpaul Jan 9th 2009 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 7146148)
Ahhh, I cant until you have a few more posts

Thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Why do I need a few more posts?

Mitzyboy Jan 9th 2009 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Polishpaul (Post 7146165)
Thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Why do I need a few more posts?

Cos you cant access the pm or email system until you have made, I think, 5 posts