Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

No forum for Austria?

No forum for Austria?

Old Nov 24th 2019, 11:38 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No forum for Austria?

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt
It was obviously a joke, but it's nice that you have such high opinion of expats.
That's my guess of a mistake shot to pieces
Old Nov 24th 2019, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Austria is an interesting country at any stage, however I have the same impression that foreigners are no longer really welcome in Austria. Internationals from western Europe often, Brits, French, etc.. tend to stay among themselves in international groups and often being posted for work at one of the international UN-organisations. Brits in Austria are mostly known for their excessive drinking as tourists in ski resorts like Mayrhofen. Austrians also tend to be unfriendly to foreigners, excet tourists and foreign students.

Especially if one is from the Balkans or Turkey they are clearly to mostly unwanted and often unaccepted in the Austrian society. It's also the main reason, why dual citizenship will always be an issue and a contentious subject in Austria. They simply don't want somebody holding both Turkish and Austrian citizenship, the same goes for somebody who is from somewhere from the Balkans and wants to be Austrian as well.

Any kind of "Hard Brexit" would be an immediate loss of rights, and the R-W-R card just doesn't offer the same rights and certainty, other than it's more uncertain......
Yes, I've also heard the story about Scandinavians involved in brawls in bars around Austria. It's not only Brits.

This Kurz character with an anti-immigration policy seems to have taken voters from the far right freedom party, Anti-immigration in Austria seems more like "anti-refugee" to me, but I could be wrong here...

Isn't the R-W-R Plus card temporary as well? Or is the status permanent in nature and only needs renewal to have an up to date picture?
R-W-R Plus is a permanent card with yearly fee and picture change for all those who don't qualify for the next level up. Next level is 5 yearly renewal.
There is a "bonus point" if you are married to an Austrian or EU citizen. Can't remember what this "bonus" was. Can't have been significant.

Old Nov 25th 2019, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
R-W-R Plus is a permanent card with yearly fee and picture change for all those who don't qualify for the next level up. Next level is 5 yearly renewal.
There is a "bonus point" if you are married to an Austrian or EU citizen. Can't remember what this "bonus" was. Can't have been significant.
Are there any known cases where one has gotten naturalized in Austria, and was still able to retain his / her previous citizenship?

Apart from that, I have also heard that this may be possible for those applicants who have high amounts of money and are seen as providing "special value" to Austria. These applicants would be able to have both citizenships.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Austria is an interesting country at any stage, however I have the same impression that foreigners are no longer really welcome in Austria. Internationals from western Europe often, Brits, French, etc.. tend to stay among themselves in international groups and often being posted for work at one of the international UN-organisations. Brits in Austria are mostly known for their excessive drinking as tourists in ski resorts like Mayrhofen. Austrians also tend to be unfriendly to foreigners, excet tourists and foreign students.

Especially if one is from the Balkans or Turkey they are clearly to mostly unwanted and often unaccepted in the Austrian society. It's also the main reason, why dual citizenship will always be an issue and a contentious subject in Austria. They simply don't want somebody holding both Turkish and Austrian citizenship, the same goes for somebody who is from somewhere from the Balkans and wants to be Austrian as well.

Any kind of "Hard Brexit" would be an immediate loss of rights, and the R-W-R card just doesn't offer the same rights and certainty, other than it's more uncertain......
Are there any known cases where one has gotten naturalized in Austria, and was still able to retain his / her previous citizenship?

Apart from that, I have also heard that this may be possible for those applicants who have high amounts of money and are seen as providing "special value" to Austria. These applicants would be able to have both citizenships.
From what I understand "special value" means science or art/music related not money related.
Austria is not quite like e.g. Malta, Cyprus, U.K., the list is long, where "investment" buys you another p.port. No doubt you can find such info on the gov. website.

Old Nov 25th 2019, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

From what I understand "special value" means science or art/music related not money related.
Austria is not quite like e.g. Malta, Cyprus, U.K., the list is long, where "investment" buys you another p.port. No doubt you can find such info on the gov. website.
I don't think that the UK offers citizenship by investment at all. Also a certain Meghan Markle has to take and pass the citizenship test as well, and spend the number of years in the UK, no matter of who she's married to.... The language exam would most likely be not applicable if one is from a majority English speaking country.

I only know that in certain jobs / roles one can apply sooner. Mark Carney would qualify for that I think.

Also, if British ancestry exists the process to citizenship is slightly easier.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OrangeMango;12769451[b
]I don't think that the UK offers citizenship by investment at all[/b]. Also a certain Meghan Markle has to take and pass the citizenship test as well, and spend the number of years in the UK, no matter of who she's married to.... The language exam would most likely be not applicable if one is from a majority English speaking country.

I only know that in certain jobs / roles one can apply sooner. Mark Carney would qualify for that I think.

Google is your friend re UK citizenship.

Same in Austria.

Old Nov 26th 2019, 6:46 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Many countries don't allow dual citizenship, surely it's up to Austria to determine its own policies.

The existence of the RWR+ card, as mentioned by ThaiRetired, puts paid to the hysterical notion of "Any kind of "Hard Brexit" would be an immediate loss of rights". The fact that the card may require renewal every X years is not a terrible burden.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
Many countries don't allow dual citizenship, surely it's up to Austria to determine its own policies.

The existence of the RWR+ card, as mentioned by ThaiRetired, puts paid to the hysterical notion of "Any kind of "Hard Brexit" would be an immediate loss of rights". The fact that the card may require renewal every X years is not a terrible burden.
RWR+ has income requirements. For e.g. barman, skiing instructor??
How much does he earn? Austria also has a skills list. Doesnt apply while there is FoM.
Don't overlook that there is no shortage of ppl for waitressing and similar. All those approved migrants are keen to work. They generally provide friendlier service than EU workers.

Old Dec 2nd 2019, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Back in my youth I found Austria hostile to foreigners. I did not have the same problems in North Germany, including the GDR I always had a suspicion that Austrians never forgave us for the loss of their Empire.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Back in my youth I found Austria hostile to foreigners. I did not have the same problems in North Germany, including the GDR I always had a suspicion that Austrians never forgave us for the loss of their Empire.
Bill Bryson can confirm that!
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 3:09 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that the UK offers citizenship by investment at all. Also a certain Meghan Markle has to take and pass the citizenship test as well, and spend the number of years in the UK, no matter of who she's married to.... The language exam would most likely be not applicable if one is from a majority English speaking country.

The UK offers an Investor (Tier 1) visa. Applicants must have a minimum of two million pounds to invest in the UK. The visa allows a stay of 3 years and 4 months, and can be extended for a further 2 years. After 5 years on this visa and meeting all the requirements the person can apply for ILR and 6 months after that they can apply for citizenship. It's only at the citizenship application stage that applicants need to pass a Life in the UK test.

I guess Meghan Markle could be in the UK on an Investors visa, but she's more likely on a spouse visa. If so, she'll be eligible to apply for ILR after 5 years, and as the wife of a British citizen will be able to apply for citizenship immediately after that. She will need to pass the Life in the UK test before her British citizenship can be granted.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The UK offers an Investor (Tier 1) visa. Applicants must have a minimum of two million pounds to invest in the UK. The visa allows a stay of 3 years and 4 months, and can be extended for a further 2 years. After 5 years on this visa and meeting all the requirements the person can apply for ILR and 6 months after that they can apply for citizenship. It's only at the citizenship application stage that applicants need to pass a Life in the UK test.

I guess Meghan Markle could be in the UK on an Investors visa, but she's more likely on a spouse visa. If so, she'll be eligible to apply for ILR after 5 years, and as the wife of a British citizen will be able to apply for citizenship immediately after that. She will need to pass the Life in the UK test before her British citizenship can be granted.
All true, but the process in the UK ist straight forward. The requirements for Tier 1 are clearly known, and the amount stated is two million pounds. Also Meghan Markle's roadmap to citizenship is very clear should the marriage last. Plus in all cases, the UK isn't too interested in dual citizens, no matter if it's Russian and British or any other country and British, as long as they don't join IS, everything is fine....

However what I meant in my previous post is that Austria doesn't clearly state how much money is actually required to qualify for that similar investor-process. Austria also doesn't offer a clear roadmap, but issues citizenship straight if a "significant and outstanding contribution to Austria" is seen by the authorities. This process never mentiones a precise amount of funds. Also, the existing citizenship is not to be renounced, upon naturalization. Oddly also language requirements as well as residency requirements don't exist for this roadmap to Austrian citizenship. For all the others, the majority of us, this option does not exist. Dual citizenship upon naturalization in Austria is forbidden outright. In times of Brexit this will mean a lot of less options for a long term residence in Austria. Either renounce British, or live on some renewable document in Austria for longer, but not having to many and longer absences.....

Last edited by OrangeMango; Dec 2nd 2019 at 9:52 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
My British husband disagrees. He finds Austrians more friendly and welcoming.Germans aren't popular in Austria.
In some areas in Germany ppl are more friendly than in others. GDR was always happy to meet an outsider. They didn't get to see many.

Old Dec 3rd 2019, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

....However what I meant in my previous post is that Also, the existing citizenship is not to be renounced, upon naturalization. Oddly also language requirements as well as residency requirements don't exist for this roadmap to Austrian citizenship. For all the others, the majority of us, this option does not exist. Dual citizenship upon naturalization in Austria is forbidden outright. In times of Brexit this will mean a lot of less options for a long term residence in Austria. Either renounce British, or live on some renewable document in Austria for longer, but not having to many and longer absences.....
This will apply to many EU countries post Brexit.
While Britain is in the EU e g. Germany allows dual citizenship. Once you are out and you apply, you can't have dual citizenship. You will be treated like any other non-EU country.
To me dual citizenship is not important. If I wanted to be Austrian or German, why would I want to be a Brit at the same time? Don't ppl become citizens of another country because they want to be part of her interests and aims and future?

I have noticed that Brits are quick to complain about other countries immigration rules. You should try and get a visa or permit to remain in Britain as a 3rd country national/post Brexit. My husband scrapped the idea quickly to move me to UK post Brexit.

The choice is yours: to vote against Tories, stay in the EU and you could have dual citizenship in Germany or stay in Austria without the regular immigration visits.

Old Dec 3rd 2019, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

. If I wanted to be Austrian or German, why would I want to be a Brit at the same time? Don't ppl become citizens of another country because they want to be part of her interests and aims and future?

I have noticed that Brits are quick to complain about other countries immigration rules. You should try and get a visa or permit to remain in Britain as a 3rd country national/post Brexit. My husband scrapped the idea quickly to move me to UK post Brexit.

The choice is yours: to vote against Tories, stay in the EU and you could have dual citizenship in Germany or stay in Austria without the regular immigration visits.
In Germany Brits can get naturalized, but don't have to give up their British citizenship. In Austria that's not possible unless one is a big time investor. I think in these days people don't exactly rely on politics anymore. Once free movement is in question your only answer is citizenship. And who knows what happens in the future these days anyway? Any other citizenship will come in handy. Companies do cut expenses and make employees redundant, marriages fail for whatever reason, and people start over, and the British job market certainly is easier than the Austrian, lot's of less paperwork, less written references.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.