Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

No forum for Austria?

No forum for Austria?

Old Nov 22nd 2019, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default No forum for Austria?

Just wondering, why is there no forum on Austria? It's not that there aren't any Brits there.

Or is there complete lack of interest?
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 3:43 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No forum for Austria?

Same question asked a few days ago. Here it is.

Just wondering...

Rosemary
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Same for most countries in Central and Eastern Europe. Slovakia, Poland, Czech Repunlic, Bulgaria, Romania etc
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The media had stuff recently about THAT HOUSE in Braunau-am-Inn where THAT MAN was born. Anglo media do not tell us much about waht is going on in that part of the world/
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 5:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
The media had stuff recently about THAT HOUSE in Braunau-am-Inn where THAT MAN was born. Anglo media do not tell us much about waht is going on in that part of the world/
Don't know about the quality of the reporting as I haven't read them, but there seems to be quite a few Austrian newspapers in English, eg.
https://www.thelocal.at/
https://www.wienerzeitung.at/nachrichten/english_news/

Perhaps the other countries you mention have the same?

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Nov 22nd 2019 at 5:05 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I don't think there is anything that interesting going on in Austria for the Anglo media to report on. The usual issues like everywhere else, political corruption, etc...

The interesting thing is that THAT HOUSE as you refer to it has neither been used by THAT MAN nor his party and his atrocities. After all, anybody no matter if it's THAT MAN or any other human would have to be born somewhere, which is the only thing that happened in that house. The whole family moved at a time when THAT MAN was very very young and didn't even know what a Jew is....

If you're interested in this particular kind of history about Austria, I suggest you would visit the Mauthausen concentration camp. There is lot's more to see there rather than in Braunau.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently about 10.000 Brits live in Austria.
Retired and working. Just read an article yesterday that tourism would be badly hit if Brexit happened end of Jan. 2020. Many Brits work as skiing instructors, barmen, waiters, ski hire agents etc. They would be out overnight in the middle of the winter season.
At Vienna airport all airline staff I dealt with a few days ago were Brits.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Don't know about the quality of the reporting as I haven't read them, but there seems to be quite a few Austrian newspapers in English, eg.
https://www.thelocal.at/
https://www.wienerzeitung.at/nachrichten/english_news/

Perhaps the other countries you mention have the same?
Check out the links. "The Local" showers you with adverts as this is what they live off, Wiener Zeitung doesn't offer uptodate news in English.
Best to ignore both and learn to speak/read German.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 8:29 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
...They would be out overnight in the middle of the winter season.
How do you know this?

Old Nov 23rd 2019, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
How do you know this?
In case of a NoDeal Brexit agreements stop immediately resp. new rules come into force = apply for Rot-Weiss-Rot Card.
I just go by a statement from head of tourism authority on TV and newspaper.They are as concerned as employees are.
Btw, UK embassy Vienna website gives all info/links you need in case of No Deal. Check their Facebook?
Are you affected by it?

Old Nov 23rd 2019, 10:53 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the links. "The Local" showers you with adverts as this is what they live off, Wiener Zeitung doesn't offer uptodate news in English.
Best to ignore both and learn to speak/read German.
I put them up as an unknown 'maybe' for scot47, I have no interest in reading them or learning German
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 11:37 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Are you affected by it?
No, I'm not affected, thank you for asking. I was just querying why you presented that statement as a fact - there is no reason to imagine that people will be rounded up and deported the day after Brexit, even if it's a "hard" one.

Old Nov 23rd 2019, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

In case of a NoDeal Brexit agreements stop immediately resp. new rules come into force = apply for Rot-Weiss-Rot Card.
I just go by a statement from head of tourism authority on TV and newspaper.They are as concerned as employees are.
Btw, UK embassy Vienna website gives all info/links you need in case of No Deal. Check their Facebook?
Are you affected by it?
This Rot-Weiss-Rot Card seems only temporary and needs to be renewed every couple of years, I think.

Sadly Austria also vehemently and stubbornly denies dual citizenship, especially when it comes to naturalization. Even the Netherlands are more open minded on that one.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
No, I'm not affected, thank you for asking. I was just querying why you presented that statement as a fact - there is no reason to imagine that people will be rounded up and deported the day after Brexit, even if it's a "hard" one.
I didn't say they will be rounded up and deported. They just loose all their rights overnight. Once their application for R-W-R card has been approved you can continue. There are income requirements. I don't know how much a barman or skiing instructor earns. Austria is no longer the welcoming country it once was. I often get the impression they (officialdom) would rather see the back of foreigners.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 5:18 am
On a grand tour

I didn't say they will be rounded up and deported.
Actually, you did - "They would be out overnight..." was your exact phrase.
The cooling of the formerly friendly attitudes has, I believe, very little to do with British ski bums - it's a consequence of the volume and flavour of the "enrichment" they've experienced over the last decade or so.

Last edited by tooboocoo; Nov 24th 2019 at 5:19 am. Reason: accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.