Forum Regular

mbkarl is on a distinguished road
Default In the news....

Real Estate Tax, they really are all out of ideas
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: In the news....

Real Estate tax seems to be happening, this is going to be an absolute nightmare. It will be based on the value of your house and the land you own.

Even a modest house with a garden could be looking at €100 a month.

As of July self employment fee is increasing by around 20%, taking it to an eye watering €360 a month.

They wonder why no one starts businesses anymore
Old Aug 7th 2013, 9:28 am
Just Joined

AntsMcMurdosch is an unknown quantity at this point

I head mumbles about a grant to be given to new self-employed people which would cover the self-employment fee for 18 months or so (I think it was €7k).

They could tax the earnings of the self-employed like other countries (when they eventually get some) and avoid all this bureaucracy which I presume would actually save money. I hope there is method in the madness.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:03 am
Just Joined

AdeleG is an unknown quantity at this point

The payment to people setting up their own business (s.p.) is not a new thing. It's about 4,000 euros but it's only available to those who are registered as already unemployed.

So, once again its bugger all use to most of us!
Old Nov 18th 2013, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

That real estate tax has passed through Parliament and will come in from January 2014

I still can't find correct sums to work out what the monthly tax will be? I'm hoping my earlier estimate of €100 a month is wrong.

There could be some cost of living problems for allot of people next year

Last edited by mbkarl; Nov 18th 2013 at 11:21 am.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 10:59 am
Just Joined

I don't know about next year, most of us are struggling to get by already with the ever increasing rise in living costs.

Yes, the property tax awaits us too. It seems it will very much be a postcode lottery as each obcina is setting their own charge. There was a table in the paper a few weeks ago which listed all the obcinas and how prices will increase/decrease compared to what we are currently paying. A few (lucky) obcinas will be paying less but most of them are at least double, some triple.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Indeed Adele, it's very difficult to imagine a future here right now
Old Nov 18th 2013, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

One tries to remain optimistic but every time you listen to the news its just about the next new tax or price rise and more firms closing, more unemployment - it's pretty depressing. More and more Slovenes are going to have to leave and seek work elsewhere, many of them already do work in Austria, those living close enough, where salaries are at least twice as much and the cost of living certainly not double.

I just can't work out why the government, this one and the past ones, can't work out that what Slovenia needs is investment, consumer confidence, growth - none of this will ever be achieved by just keep introducing and increasing taxes but that, it seems, is all they know how to do.

But I'm still here..........
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really niceSir Harry le Fise Lake is just really nice

Originally Posted by mbkarl
Real Estate Tax, they really are all out of ideas
Out of ideas or not, there is a strong argument that a real estate tax is one of the fairest measures of extracting dosh from the population there is.

It happens to be an argument that I tend to find convincing.

The problem is not the real estate tax in itself, it's what it's combined with - which if they don't ease some taxes elsewhere, makes it that much more punishing for the population - and what they do with the extra revenues when they get it.

They've got to try to find money to bail the banks out - banks that got into awful trouble because of some very, very dodgy lending. And lots of it.

If they can sort out the banks and put an end to such mis-use of public funds, and THEN reduce taxes, especially pay-roll taxes ........ it would be worth the pain.

Trouble is, I suspect most will not believe that the 'elite' - them that supposedly 'minister' to the ordinary Josko on the ulica - can keep their fingers away from the till.

HlFL
Old Nov 20th 2013, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Slovenia maybe does need some kind of council tax, but now is not the right time as people are on the bones of their arses.

I read that Real Estate tax has been vetoed by the National Council, no doubt once the relevant palms have been greased it will sail through
Old Nov 21st 2013, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Well actually the new property tax is replacing a charge that we already pay so it's not exactly new, just revised and of course more costly. We also already pay a kind of council tax via the Komunala charge which covers waste removal etc. so what with that and the new property tax that is equivalent to Council Tax anyway.