Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need a little advice

Need a little advice

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

chelley05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need a little advice

Hi I am new here and I am not sure of my options. I am a mature student in my early 40s I started a full time degree in Biology. I have got another 2 years to go and I would very much like to start anew after graduation in another country prefably in Europe.

In the mean time I am going to research the best possibilities for myself, visit a few places to see if I like them and learn the languages when I am not studying.

My main worry is my age and I was ill for a few years before undertaking my degree course. I am looking to rebuild my work profile by volunteering/working part time when I can. However I was left with a little disability but this can be managed.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Need a little advice

Oops forgot to add I am also interested in studying for a Masters in Europe I realise they are usually 2 years long but I thought it would give me a great a experience although again I worry I might be too old and would like advice on this as well. I have heard that the course fees in Denmark and Sweden are not as high as in the UK and I believe it's a similar story in the Netherlands. However I will have concerns about supporting oneself (part time job availability) and if it is affordable to live.

I also think going to a new country as a student will give me a better chance to meet new people and learn the culture better.

Last edited by chelley05; Aug 2nd 2013 at 10:51 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 7:24 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
You may do well to post directly on the Scandinavia and Netherlands sections, but if I were you, I'd also enquire at your present Uni.
If you need to work, then don't consider France! The economic situation MIGHT have improved and the unemployment rates MIGHT have decreased in two years' time, but you'd still have difficulties finding rented accommodation if you only have a part-time income - you'd need a Guarantor (not simply money in the Bank).
Good luck in your search!
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Aww Thanks. I appreciate that advice I will look to do that. I would consider most countries in Europe I should say my area of interest is more biotech.

One of my friends family lives in France and I had heard of the difficulties. Beautiful place to visit and its a shame about the economic problems. I had thought it might be a no, no.

I should also say I would only consider another country outside of Europe if its economically viable.

Well got 2 years to plan for this adventure
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 9:43 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
You may do well to post directly on the Scandinavia and Netherlands sections, but if I were you, I'd also enquire at your present Uni.
If you need to work, then don't consider France! The economic situation MIGHT have improved and the unemployment rates MIGHT have decreased in two years' time, but you'd still have difficulties finding rented accommodation if you only have a part-time income - you'd need a Guarantor (not simply money in the Bank).
Good luck in your search!
Ditto Spain. Scandinavia is, from what I've heard, very expensive, and finding rental apartments in some areas is almost impossible.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Ok I will way up the pros and cons. Even if I was to do a masters in the UK it will be expensive, just for the fees it can cost £6k, however the course usually only lasts for a year unlike those in other countries.

Some fees I have noticed cost less than £2k on the continent. But it will be the expense of living in these countries for 2 years. As much as I would love the chance to seek a new adventure in another country I am also realistic, I will do lots of research and if it is not affordable I won't go. But I got my fingers crossed.

Thanks again about the information regarding Scandinavia.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 10:08 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chelley05
Ok I will way up the pros and cons. Even if I was to do a masters in the UK it will be expensive, just for the fees it can cost £6k, however the course usually only lasts for a year unlike those in other countries.

Some fees I have noticed cost less than £2k on the continent. But it will be the expense of living in these countries for 2 years. As much as I would love the chance to seek a new adventure in another country I am also realistic, I will do lots of research and if it is not affordable I won't go. But I got my fingers crossed.

Thanks again about the information regarding Scandinavia.
If you were to do your Masters in another EU country, wouldn't the course be in the language of the country? so you would have to be fluent.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Not necessarily if you look through find a masters.com there is a number of universities advertising courses targeting British students and they explain what they want in regards of language requirements. But for own sanity I would learn the language of the country I was studying anyway and visit it a few times ie get to know the area as much as I can. I used to be fluent in French but I have not used the language in 10 years. I would like to learn a new language.

I know I could get sponsorship to study in Australia but I like Europe. So many places to explore and see. The only place I may consider other than Europe would be Canada, it is not as far, five/six hours on the plane - takes longer to get to Cornwall by Bus. But again it depends on cost.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

I have so far been very surprised with the results found. In one University in Austria it would cost roughly £150 a semester over 2 years (actually like the thought of studying here - wont feel so old as a lot of people start studying later in life) some countries in Scandinavia you don't pay any fees at all and Finland does have a course which looks very interesting. Most expensive has been the Netherlands but then again the fees are less than £2k. It could work out cheaper for me to study on the Continent than in the UK because rent here is very expensive too.

I hear you can get a career development loan but looking at what you have to pay back seems very expensive. Would rather work part time.

Also reading through all the Universities prospectus online they will advice me about part time employment and other matters related too money. If I had have known what I know now think I may have done my undergrad in one of these countries too. May have worked out cheaper.

For now I think the best thing for me to do is keep researching. Working part time and save. I have got 2 years which should give me time to make the right decision.

Last edited by chelley05; Aug 4th 2013 at 12:58 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Nekkid is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
If you're thinking of enjoying the social side of being a student, i wouldn't reccomend Sweden. I've got a Aussie friend who is a lecturer at Örebro university who has been blown away by the complete lack of social life on the campus. Unis here are not like in the rest of the world!