National Insurance number & living abroad

National Insurance number & living abroad

Old May 3rd 2003, 7:00 pm
Wav
Just Joined

Wav is an unknown quantity at this point
Default National Insurance number & living abroad

Hi!

I'm having some troubles to obtain my National Insurance Number and I don't know what to do... here is the situation :

I'm citizen of country A and moved to the UK 4 years ago and started as employee of a british company. Six months later the company sent me to country B on a long term mission, before I had time to file for a National Insurance Number.

I'm still there (country B) and still paid by the British company (in the UK, not a local branch)

I don't pay anymore PAYE/Income Taxes in the UK since I live in country B which does have a Tax agreement with the UK, but I pay and have been paying UK NICs since the beginning of course, and will probably continue to do so for a very long time.

Everytime I phone the National Insurance office they say they can't give me a NI number because I don't have anymore a permanent address in the UK.

I was living in the UK when I started to work for the company and both the company and I still pay the NICs for me every month.

I presume I'm in the same situation as most british temporary expatriates employed by a british company, with the notable exception that I did not have NI number before leaving the UK.

Question is : How do I obtain my NI Number ?

Thanks if you can help me ! It's driving me mad