Reload this Page >

Moving to Switzerland

Moving to Switzerland

Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Jayne27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Switzerland

Hi everyone,

I'm just putting the feelers out at the moment and wondering if it is possible for a UK citizen to live in Switzerland?. I know that people can live in France very easily but i was wondering if it was the same procedure for Switzerland?

Many Thanks
Jayne
Old Nov 14th 2006, 7:31 am
Perfer et obdura

Location: Birmingham 26 years, Germany 20 years, in Toronto since 2015
anglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Switzerland

Originally Posted by Jayne27
Hi everyone,

I'm just putting the feelers out at the moment and wondering if it is possible for a UK citizen to live in Switzerland?. I know that people can live in France very easily but i was wondering if it was the same procedure for Switzerland?

Many Thanks
Jayne
Been down that road, it's a bugger (unlike France, Switzerland is not a EU country, and makes its own rules). For a start, you need a work permit, and for this you need either to be able to do a job which no Swiss person can do, or be stinking rich. Even if you get a work permit, there's no guarantee you'll get a residence permit: a lot of people working in Basle, for example, have to live in Germany or France and commute daily. And unless the rules have changed, your work/residence permits are only valid for one specific canton (state): if you get permits for Zürich, for example, you're stuck there - you'd need new permits if you wanted to go to, say, Geneva.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Jayne27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anglogerman
Been down that road, it's a bugger (unlike France, Switzerland is not a EU country, and makes its own rules). For a start, you need a work permit, and for this you need either to be able to do a job which no Swiss person can do, or be stinking rich. Even if you get a work permit, there's no guarantee you'll get a residence permit: a lot of people working in Basle, for example, have to live in Germany or France and commute daily. And unless the rules have changed, your work/residence permits are only valid for one specific canton (state): if you get permits for Zürich, for example, you're stuck there - you'd need new permits if you wanted to go to, say, Geneva.
Hmmm, I thought it might be the case...

what about if somebody owned property out there (which was rented out) how long could they stay for?...

Thanks for your reply
Jayne
Old Nov 14th 2006, 2:34 pm
Perfer et obdura

Location: Birmingham 26 years, Germany 20 years, in Toronto since 2015
anglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, I thought it might be the case...

what about if somebody owned property out there (which was rented out) how long could they stay for?...

Thanks for your reply
Jayne
If you own property out there, you're likely to have a residence permit already, as most people need one before they can buy real estate. I'm on shaky ground here though. Perhaps this website might help:

Living and Working in Switzerland
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 11:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anglogerman
This is not quite true anymore. Many EEA free movement of labour rights now extend to Switzerland under a special agreement.
http://www.swissemigration.ch/themen...x.html?lang=en
http://bfm.mit.ch/index.php?id=536&L=3

After 5 years in Switzerland, a permanent resident permit can be obtained.

Swiss citizenship is harder to obtain. A minimum of 12 years, and longer in some cantons/municipalities (so choose place of residence well). Similarly, children born in Switzerland to non-Swiss parents do not automatically become Swiss citizens.

However, Switzerland does allow dual citizenship.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:48 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - how did your investigations go into relocating to switzerland??? Husband up for a job there and wondering about housing and schools and stuff like that.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Sophie_T will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone,

Many Thanks
Jayne
Hi!

I've been researching Swiss citizenship lately, and found this forum:

www.englishforum.ch

It seems to have a lot of activity from people who are living in Switzerland. Perhaps someone there can help you find the information you're seeking. Good luck!