Reload this Page >

Moving to Spain with kids

Moving to Spain with kids

Old Sep 15th 2018, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Vicki DeCosemo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Spain with kids

Hi everyone!
thank you so much for taking the time to read this.
After years of weighing up the pros and cons, we have decided to go for it and move our Family to Spain, as nothing is keeping us in the UK. My husband works in London and offshore, so is not often at home.
we are thinking of the Alicante area, I have 3 kids aged 8,7 and 5. I've contacted the European international school there, as i have have fears about my eldest falling behind in a state school because of the language barrier. Has anyone moved with kids of the same sort of age? How did they settle? I want to give them a better life than the UK, I'm aware Spain is not a paradise and will take lots of getting used to, but I'm sure the quality of life is better, and if we don't try we will never know, obviously we will have to wait and see where we stand after Brexit too.
I speak some Spanish as i spent a lot of time there as a kid, my kids speak none despite my efforts!
I will be alone with the kids often, so I'm also wondering about good areas ect. The areas that interest me are playa san juan and El Campello because of the European school nearby and the distance from the airport. Any advice is so,so welcome and needed!
thankyou so much, have a lovely day

Last edited by Vicki DeCosemo; Sep 15th 2018 at 2:41 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 15th 2018, 3:40 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Spain with kids

Originally Posted by Vicki DeCosemo
Hi everyone!
thank you so much for taking the time to read this.
After years of weighing up the pros and cons, we have decided to go for it and move our Family to Spain, as nothing is keeping us in the UK. My husband works in London and offshore, so is not often at home.
we are thinking of the Alicante area, I have 3 kids aged 8,7 and 5. I've contacted the European international school there, as i have have fears about my eldest falling behind in a state school because of the language barrier. Has anyone moved with kids of the same sort of age? How did they settle? I want to give them a better life than the UK, I'm aware Spain is not a paradise and will take lots of getting used to, but I'm sure the quality of life is better, and if we don't try we will never know, obviously we will have to wait and see where we stand after Brexit too.
I speak some Spanish as i spent a lot of time there as a kid, my kids speak none despite my efforts!
I will be alone with the kids often, so I'm also wondering about good areas ect. The areas that interest me are playa san juan and El Campello because of the European school nearby and the distance from the airport. Any advice is so,so welcome and needed!
thankyou so much, have a lovely day
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Post again in the dedicated Spain forum above, where you'll get helpful advice from the locals!
I live in France but children's education is a universal issue. At their ages, your children will quickly pick up Spanish in a Spanish State Primary, make friends, and have time, even the eldest, to prepare to go up to Secondary School. IMO they would integrate less quickly into the Spanish way of life if they go to an International School, but such a school with a British Curriculum might be preferable if you think that they'll want to go to a University in the UK. But even a year in Primary while you decide, will give them a different experience whatever the future holds....
Someone on the Spain forum will be able to advise on your husband's employment status (= how your healthcare coverage would be organised if the family is resident in Spain).
All the best!
Old Sep 15th 2018, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Vicki DeCosemo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!
thank you so much, I have just posted in the Spanish forum.
do the spanish state schools help kids who do not speak the language? I thought this would be a very cheeky and impossible request for them!
thanks so much again
Old Sep 15th 2018, 6:34 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicki DeCosemo
Hi!
thank you so much, I have just posted in the Spanish forum.
do the spanish state schools help kids who do not speak the language? I thought this would be a very cheeky and impossible request for them!
thanks so much again
You'd have to ask on the Spain forum, but there wouldn't be particular help for foreigners in French Primaires, since children pick up languages like a sponge at that age, esp. if they have support from home. They are young enough to pick up the Grammar and become fluent (at their level) in the playground and with the neighbours. On the other hand, pre-teens and teenagers would find it really difficult, if not impossible to follow classes in Secondary School.