Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Moving to Slovenia for 6 months - any advice welcome please!

Moving to Slovenia for 6 months - any advice welcome please!

Old Jul 27th 2014, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

TheGoktor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Slovenia for 6 months - any advice welcome please!

Hey everyone!

Although my partner and I are UK passport holders, we haven't lived in the UK for a number of years, preferring instead to live up to six months at a time in different places across the world. This time, we're thinking of Slovenia, probably Ljubljana, although we're open to other suggestions of course!

We'll be visiting Ljubljana between 2-7 August to do a recce but I thought I'd see if I could grab some hints, tips, and pointers from people here too.

We both work for ourselves, and do not have any children, and are very quiet people, so we don't need to worry about getting jobs, finding schools, or going clubbing! However, we do need to have decent WiFi in order to be able to work, so what is the infrastructure like there?

Also, can anyone recommend estate agents, or places to find apartments to rent, please?

What about food? I've heard there are some great fresh produce markets - are these easy to get to via bicycle or public transport?

How much could we expect to pay for utilities per month, or do the costs for these generally come in with rent?

Which areas are the quietest? We don't want to be somewhere where there's a lot of noise from pubs and clubs, and noisy neighbours!

How cold does it get in winter (and when does winter generally start)? We've been living in India, Morocco, and Thailand for the past 2.5 years, so have kind of forgotten what winter is like!

Anything else you think we might need to know? Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 10th 2014, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Slovenia for 6 months - any advice welcome please!

Hi TheGoktor, I have just seen your post. I take it you are back from your travels now?
Old Aug 10th 2014, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by booboo24
Hi TheGoktor, I have just seen your post. I take it you are back from your travels now?
Hiya!

Yes, we had a very successful trip, met and made friends with some great people, and have got what looks like a fantastic apartment about 10km outside the city centre. We move in on September 2nd!

Our first impressions of Ljubljana are very positive, not least how quiet it is (unless there's a wedding!). Absolutely lovely - I think we're going to have a great time living there.

Now all I have to do is work out how many jumpers I'm going to need to get out of storage, and try to find my hats and gloves!
Old Aug 17th 2014, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of

Don't forget the snow boots Our first couple of winters here was a bit of an adventure and we enjoyed that part of it. Seven winters on and we are both fed up with it. We are out in the sticks, beautiful as it is.. it gets to a point that there is more to life than trying to stay warm and not fall over. This winter we have secured a place in Croatia by the coast for five months. "Very Slovene" I hear some of you say.

Well good luck with it all and keep us posted, if your ever out this we give us a shout.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by booboo24
Don't forget the snow boots Our first couple of winters here was a bit of an adventure and we enjoyed that part of it. Seven winters on and we are both fed up with it. We are out in the sticks, beautiful as it is.. it gets to a point that there is more to life than trying to stay warm and not fall over. This winter we have secured a place in Croatia by the coast for five months. "Very Slovene" I hear some of you say.

Well good luck with it all and keep us posted, if your ever out this we give us a shout.
I have boots, I have just knitted gloves and hat, I have jumpers and scarves, and thick socks... I'm good to go!

I can see why you'd be fed up with winter after seven years, especially out in the country. So the Croatian coast is warmer, eh? Hmmmmm... interesting!