Reload this Page >

Moving in Europe, where??

Moving in Europe, where??

Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

rachal1084 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving in Europe, where??

Hi

This is my third attempt on forums trying to find out where I can find the lifestyle me and my family are looking for.

Basically me, my husband and 2 year old are looking to relocate abroad (somewhere in Europe, not to far from the UK) it's as cliche as..... "A new life in the sun" I have lived abroad (Turkey, Benidorm, Malta, Marbella and Portugal) and know that in my heart that's the lifestyle I want to bring my little boy up in.

Now I have only been using forums for a bout 3 days and already realise my post is going to annoy loads of people as I am not giving as much detail as most require, and the fact I am asking advice on the whole of Europe but as stupid and naieve as that might make me, I am just hoping I can get some direction as I feel lost with my search.

A few details about me and what we are looking for, we have enough money for a deposit on a small Villa but obviously would be renting before we make the decision to buy in the desired area.

We are also looking to rent a shop to sell personalised gifts aimed at children (I am not to concerned about the shop) as the product sells itself, although I do need somewhere with an all year round tourist trade

We are looking for somewhere coastal with a fair Expat Community, somewhere suitable to bring up children.

I totally understand from previous comments that the Ecodomy in Europe is not at its best, but I don't like the way the UK is going and prefer the relaxed lifestyle many places in Europe have to offer, I literally am a young girl looking to provide a better life for her family, I know it might seem a bit like a pipe dream, but I am really ambitious and not scared to take the plunge, if it doesn't work I am prepared for that I have a great support network around me.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, I am most grateful
Old Jul 29th 2013, 5:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving in Europe, where??

Firstly, I don't think you should assume that the lifestyle in Europe generally is any more relaxed than in the UK.

You mention Malta, Turkey and Spain as countries that have the lifestyle you want ..... but the lifestyles are somewhat different in each of those countries. If you are wanting to work then from my experience you can forget Spain. Unemployment there is predicted to hit 30% before it gets any better, and unless you speak very good Spanish then you will struggle unless you have a really unusual product.

You really need to sit down and work out exactly what it is that you want out of life based on what the country is actually like for immigrants. For instance working people say they want to move to Spain or Portugal to spend more time with their kids and family. However the working day in Spain can mean that this doesnt actually happen.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

I am not assuming the lifestyle in Europe is more relaxed, I know by living in 5 different areas of Europe and all 5 proved more relaxed than the UK.

Sorry I don't think I explained myself right I have lived in all the mentioned places, I don't think the lifestyles were too dissimilar not in my experience anyway, apart from the obvious, Turkey maybe being the odd one out in lifestyle, but they all were more relaxed for me in my opinion than the UK.

I am not looking to work, I would be looking to rent a shop selling a proven unusual product, but I think Spain is no good for this at the moment either.

I do understand that the hours are longer but the pace of life is slower and with the climate it's lighter longer, I just haven't got a clue where to start, because of my requirements it is hard to research. Hence the reason I am opening myself up to ideas on here.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post
Old Jul 29th 2013, 6:16 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachal1084

if it doesn't work I am prepared for that I have a great support network around me.
Please don't consider France, even if you speak French. The economic climate is scarcely better than in Spain and the bureaucracy and finances involved in running a shop isn't for the faint-hearted. (Have just seen your post, and am confused by the contradiction: "I'm not looking to work, I'd be looking to rent a shop selling...")
You would have no support network in France, no benefits, except for healthcare coverage if you have the S1 from Newcastle and this only lasts for a limited time until you pay into the System. With a child, you'd be advised to budget for a Mutuelle...
If you were just a couple, I'd say go for it, wherever, but with a 2-year old to bring up in your desired lifestyle, his welfare wouldn't be assured in France. Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I'm realistic...
Old Jul 29th 2013, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Please don't consider France, even if you speak French. The economic climate is scarcely better than in Spain and the bureaucracy and finances involved in running a shop isn't for the faint-hearted. (Have just seen your post, and am confused by the contradiction: "I'm not looking to work, I'd be looking to rent a shop selling...")
You would have no support network in France, no benefits, except for healthcare coverage if you have the S1 from Newcastle and this only lasts for a limited time until you pay into the System. With a child, you'd be advised to budget for a Mutuelle...
If you were just a couple, I'd say go for it, wherever, but with a 2-year old to bring up in your desired lifestyle, his welfare wouldn't be assured in France. Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I'm realistic...
I wouldn't consider France anyway, but thank you for confirming why I made that decision in the first place.

I do want to work what I mean as work is working or someone else, we would be opening our own shop.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post
Old Jul 30th 2013, 6:56 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

This is my third attempt on forums trying to find out where I can find the lifestyle me and my family are looking for.

Basically me, my husband and 2 year old are looking to relocate abroad (somewhere in Europe, not to far from the UK) it's as cliche as..... "A new life in the sun" I have lived abroad (Turkey, Benidorm, Malta, Marbella and Portugal) and know that in my heart that's the lifestyle I want to bring my little boy up in.

Now I have only been using forums for a bout 3 days and already realise my post is going to annoy loads of people as I am not giving as much detail as most require, and the fact I am asking advice on the whole of Europe but as stupid and naieve as that might make me, I am just hoping I can get some direction as I feel lost with my search.

A few details about me and what we are looking for, we have enough money for a deposit on a small Villa but obviously would be renting before we make the decision to buy in the desired area.

We are also looking to rent a shop to sell personalised gifts aimed at children (I am not to concerned about the shop) as the product sells itself, although I do need somewhere with an all year round tourist trade

We are looking for somewhere coastal with a fair Expat Community, somewhere suitable to bring up children.

I totally understand from previous comments that the Ecodomy in Europe is not at its best, but I don't like the way the UK is going and prefer the relaxed lifestyle many places in Europe have to offer, I literally am a young girl looking to provide a better life for her family, I know it might seem a bit like a pipe dream, but I am really ambitious and not scared to take the plunge, if it doesn't work I am prepared for that I have a great support network around me.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, I am most grateful
Rachel, must stop following you around the BE Forums, it will give both of us a bad name
but you are going at this like a pepper gun - grains all over the place.

you need to put yourself about - physically!!
visit some of these places for at least 2 weeks on a business holiday and absorb the atmosphere, the people. Go back out of season and see how things are in their winter period.

Malta is really a small island kept afloat by a few months of tourism, very few entrepreneurs have come out of there alive (now someone will prove me wrong)
Benidorm does have a winter period and many parts do close down.
Marbella or Malaga have a winter period but they don't totally close down.
Portugal has same or worse problems than Spain, just Spain has a more diverse industry to fall back on, most tourism is down the south.
Turkey isn't in the EU, is Muslim which may cause you more problems than you appreciate. It may be growing fast but.......

But you may find the South of France an eye opener as would perhaps be Italy.

And as to the business - it appears to me to be to almost be a one product business, may work for a while but not for ever. You need to take the "uniqueness" of the product into other areas by making contact with marketing departments of major manufacturers etc, giving you an element of diversification that will bring money in from a wider customer base

hth
kr
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Domino
Rachel, must stop following you around the BE Forums, it will give both of us a bad name
but you are going at this like a pepper gun - grains all over the place.

you need to put yourself about - physically!!
visit some of these places for at least 2 weeks on a business holiday and absorb the atmosphere, the people. Go back out of season and see how things are in their winter period.

Malta is really a small island kept afloat by a few months of tourism, very few entrepreneurs have come out of there alive (now someone will prove me wrong)
Benidorm does have a winter period and many parts do close down.
Marbella or Malaga have a winter period but they don't totally close down.
Portugal has same or worse problems than Spain, just Spain has a more diverse industry to fall back on, most tourism is down the south.
Turkey isn't in the EU, is Muslim which may cause you more problems than you appreciate. It may be growing fast but.......

But you may find the South of France an eye opener as would perhaps be Italy.

And as to the business - it appears to me to be to almost be a one product business, may work for a while but not for ever. You need to take the "uniqueness" of the product into other areas by making contact with marketing departments of major manufacturers etc, giving you an element of diversification that will bring money in from a wider customer base

hth
kr
Thank you for your advice, I have found it very helpful, I only mentioned the places above because I have lived in each of these, to give more information about myself, I realise I am totally shooting in the dark, and I realise I need to visit some places, it's just hard with certain commitments, I am just really gathering lots of different advice trying to piece together something suitable

Thank you for our reply
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:37 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your advice, I have found it very helpful, I only mentioned the places above because I have lived in each of these, to give more information about myself, I realise I am totally shooting in the dark, and I realise I need to visit some places, it's just hard with certain commitments, I am just really gathering lots of different advice trying to piece together something suitable

Thank you for our reply
Hi again, this is a general comment, not specifically for France.
I've been reading your other threads - is living in Skegness so dire that you need to come to Europe to provide a "better life for your family"?
Why not continue with your business in the UK (with all the UK benefits that you are entitled to) and buy a holiday home somewhere in Europe that you could eventually use later when you've sorted all your "commitments". You say you are a "young girl", you've got plenty of time....
Another point, who would be looking after your toddler while you are working in your shop and generally running your business? I used to work from home and found it impossible to have babies/children around. You'd have to look into childcare (expensive) if your son isn't old enough by then to go into a State-run nursery/kindergarten.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

It's not Skegness pacifically just the UK in general, I know the grass isn't always greener, just from my experiences the lifestyle suits my needs better than the UK. I will take on board what you have said, it's all very helpful.

Thank you for replying to my post
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:14 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

It's not Skegness pacifically just the UK in general, I know the grass isn't always greener, just from my experiences the lifestyle suits my needs better than the UK. I will take on board what you have said, it's all very helpful.

Thank you for replying to my post
That's exactly the point

Many people say the same thing .... what it eventually boils down to when you move somewhere permanently to live is that you end up doing the same things. OK, it may be in a different climate, it may be that you have to negotiate the language barriers, but to coin a common comment ..... same sh!t, different place

In general people need to move somewhere because they really want to (and maybe you do), not just to escape something that they may actually find they miss and appreciate later
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:38 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for our reply
Rachel, you aren't alone in this. many people just look in on BE and its various forums to gather that information, so if anything I am telling you here and in response to your other posts doesn't help you it may help someone else who is lurking. (post script - the counter shows 165 views for only 11 posts)

also that you are only giving sketchy outlines can be a bug for the other forum members - if our experience isnt relevent to that part of Europe we will butt out.
it isn't always a good thing to let all of the cat family out of the bag - there might be a competitor out there looking for an opportunity.

yes its hard to acknowledge your commitments, but getting away from where you are and into somewhere else is also a commitment - for the future and has to be treated seriously. without that commitment you will stay put. the same goes for the business, it needs the commitment and at the moment I should imagine you are having a hard time keeping up with orders in the holiday season.

so keep at it, make sure your folder is a big one, and when you have time try googling for start-up funding etc from the EU for small business. money is out there, just very hard to get your hands on it if you don't know the procedures.
rgds

Last edited by Domino; Jul 30th 2013 at 11:40 am. Reason: post script
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of

To be honest, having lived in three countries so far, I'd say it's more a case of 'difference shit, different place', the point being that there's always going to be some shit to deal with, but not necessarily the same shit. The trick is to find the place where you can more easily deal with the kind of shit that country throws at you.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Azarel
To be honest, having lived in three countries so far, I'd say it's more a case of 'difference shit, different place', the point being that there's always going to be some shit to deal with, but not necessarily the same shit. The trick is to find the place where you can more easily deal with the kind of shit that country throws at you.
thats very true, although in some instances it is "same xxxx"
and each of the EU countries have old historical ways of taxation, allowances, registrating for VAT/IVA etc etc. Spain is reckoned to be the hardest to set up a business in - but earlier this year the govt said that would be changing - from 1st Jan 2014. So here's hoping
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
That's exactly the point

Many people say the same thing .... what it eventually boils down to when you move somewhere permanently to live is that you end up doing the same things. OK, it may be in a different climate, it may be that you have to negotiate the language barriers, but to coin a common comment ..... same sh!t, different place

In general people need to move somewhere because they really want to (and maybe you do), not just to escape something that they may actually find they miss and appreciate later
I totally appreciate what your saying, I have experienced same sh*t different place but I really don't want to bring up my child in the UK, I just need to find the right place, I know already its going to be the hardest decision I have ever made but I am researching literally all day everyday, I am just on the forums for suggestions from people out there doing it

Regards
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Domino
thats very true, although in some instances it is "same xxxx"
and each of the EU countries have old historical ways of taxation, allowances, registrating for VAT/IVA etc etc. Spain is reckoned to be the hardest to set up a business in - but earlier this year the govt said that would be changing - from 1st Jan 2014. So here's hoping
Thank you that's very helpful

thank you for replying

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.