Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Moving to Belgium, now we are 3!

Moving to Belgium, now we are 3!

Old Jan 29th 2011, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

blue_blanket is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Belgium, now we are 3!

Hi again! Don't worry, I'm not baffled!

Here is a quick update-

We have narrowed down where we want to live at first and will hopefully be able to secure that this week, subject to final approval when we are there in a month.

While I was busy researching and figuring things out, my mom decided she would like to come with us! Which is actually great, even my husband is pleased. He works away from home so she will be good company for me.

We have tentatively set June as our moving month, but that might change depending on our visit. We may go sooner.

So here is my latest question...

Does such a person exist who we can consult to help us navigate through the different forms and options that are coming our way. There are so many things to figure out, large and small, I was wondering if there is anything like an immigration counselor.

Would our bank be able to advise us on things such as taxes when we are there to set up accounts?

Yes? Or am I being ridiculous, and overthinking and worrying for nothing (again)?

Thanks, as always!
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Belgium, now we are 3!

Just how old is your mother ( physically , mentally , health-and-otherwise ) ?
Beware : the culture shock/s might be too overbearing , for many !
What about her medical cover , driving among the wholly-irresponsible maniacs , her linguistic skills , her attitudes to ( usually : bad/rude-to-disinterested and/or simply nonexistent ) service , to our foreign foodstuffs , to smoking/alcohol everywhere , to frequent petty crime , lousy public transport , murderous traffic , dogs fouling every inch of the pedestrian way/s ....???? Welcome to BelgoLand and the Capital of EUrope-an disasters !

As for your chosen bank ( that'd have to be ING , BNP Paribas Fortis , first and foremost , before you dare to diversify further ) :
sure , they'll help you and guide you , to some extent , so long as there's plenty buxxxxx in it , for them to be made ;
otherewise , the staff at the municipal offices ( "commune" ) can be quite helpful , at least : with some of the things you'll need ;
for the other queries , you might approach : tax adviser ( Beware ! ) , notary , tax offices ( helpful , in neutral ) , a decent attorney ( expensive ! ) insurance broker/s ( expensive and not competitive ! ) , American Women's Club , the gym , your hairdresser/manicurist/pedicurist , the GP , the gynae and a myriad of others ;
Good Luck ( Bonne Chance et Bon Courage ! )