Reload this Page >

Moving to Belgium

Moving to Belgium

Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Meghren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Belgium

Hi all,

I came on here since I heard that I can get some well rounded advice about the nitty gritty things. So here it goes, I'm a UK citizen, so my EU status is fine but my main questions are mainly to do with any paper work I have to have done before hand. Is there anything I should/can get filled out to make any administration go faster. I'm moving to Leuven with my partner and neither of us have any real idea of how the administration there is run. Also, would I have to contact anyone directly with regards to work visa's etc. My plan is to work for a year and then go on to do my masters at Leuven University while working part-time. My partner is a nurse and already has found work. He speaks Dutch where I do not. Would I have difficulty finding work? I know that's a really open question but I'd thought to throw that in there. In reality I'm looking for some reassurance that I'm not going to move there and end up being buried under a lot of legal, admin stuff that I have no clue how to do or where to begin with.

Thanks, I hope that's not to much for anyone. I know I seem a little clueless here.

Meg
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to Belgium

Hi,

I work in leuven and live about 20min from it. I can't help you on any of the paperwork, but I am not belgium and had to go to the town hall and register that you're living there. You will need a paper from your old town hall saying that your are leaving and are not registered any more in the UK ( or where ever you come from ) you'll have to give this to the belgium town hall.

Not speaking flemmish, you'll have a bit of a problem finding work, but there iare a few international companies around and I know a few polish people working in bars/rest while there studying as well.
I have a sandwich shop here and quite regulary get english speaking poeple in....

If you want any info on anything, just let me know........

Alex
Old Nov 27th 2012, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Meghren is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alex!

Thanks so much for your reply. That's reassured me quite a bit actually. On the language side, I am planning to learn Dutch but I learned from my in-laws that it's cheaper and easier to learn over there. Of course I won't be fluent in it for a good while but I'm certain I can pick up enough to get by to start with.

On the job front, do you have any links or agency's that would be able to help an english speaker find work? It's funny that you run a sandwich shop, I've been a catering assistant for over four years and I've a full training in barista equipment.

Thanks

Meg
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:11 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meghren
Hi Alex!

Thanks so much for your reply. That's reassured me quite a bit actually. On the language side, I am planning to learn Dutch but I learned from my in-laws that it's cheaper and easier to learn over there. Of course I won't be fluent in it for a good while but I'm certain I can pick up enough to get by to start with.

On the job front, do you have any links or agency's that would be able to help an english speaker find work? It's funny that you run a sandwich shop, I've been a catering assistant for over four years and I've a full training in barista equipment.

Thanks

Meg
Hi Meg

Firstly great news on coming to Belgium!

Its been a long time since I left the UK - but there was a form I filled out to tell the tax authorities that I was leaving the UK system...

I don't think its that hard moving over, in fact I found it relatively easy. You have to register with the commune but all that has to be done in Dutch, so bring your partner. In fact they will probably insist on Dutch, so don't be put off if they wont speak English, even though you suspect that they do..... anything to do with the local authority. The police will come to your apartment to double check its legit - but its an easy process. Many banks have an expat package - with all sorts of information.

You are going to have a lot of admin to do, opening bank accounts, services etc etc - but that's a drag anywhere. You must sign up with a Mutuel for medical treatment benefits and they will have a hospitalisation policy as well. Take both IMHO.

It may be worth taking tax advice, as there used to be special tax benefits for expats coming over - but you have register in advance... its a good deal if it still exists. It no-longer applies to me.

Be prepared to pay lots of tax... its one of the highest taxed countries around. But good for investors.

We also have the Bulletin an English magazine - that also had a special package of information they used to send out. I hope they still do. Also I have to be careful recommending businesses but Google 'finding a job in Belgium' and you will see some links.... google the magazine as well

The language is a problem - but there are many expats here without a second language.

You wont regret being here after you've gotten over the 'wall' that everyone faces when 'emigrating'. Be prepared for a lot of admin....

And please note that all my info may not be valid any more as its been a long time since I moved...

Its a great pace to live and Leuven is a beautiful city.... lots of countries to visit within a short drive, and for non-local speakers many linguists that will be happy to natter in English.... Belgium have so many multi-lingual people..... Also the EU means that you see many nationalities walking around....

Good luck
Jon

PS just had a check on the Bulletin site, the 'essential guide to moving to Belgium' - recommend you get that.....

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Nov 29th 2012 at 8:23 am.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

BritishZebra is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I recently moved to Leuven and am having the same problem with finding a job and not speaking Dutch. It doesn't seem to be a problem for other things though, as other people can speak English as well, and I have a friend who can speak Dutch.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

try all the temp agencies... not quite sure if there are international companies in leuven, but the big agencies might be able to put you in contact with people around brussel/zaventem.. There's a new big temp agency that has just opened close to the train station, randstad... give that a try, its on the diestsevest 14

best of luck
Old Feb 16th 2013, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Dramaction is an unknown quantity at this point

It will be very difficult if you don't speak any Dutch, maybe you can try for an international company in the Zaventem/Brucargo area or maybe in some bars/restaurants like someone mentioned before. Good luck!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 11:10 am
Just Joined

SandKalu is an unknown quantity at this point

it depends where you will live.
If you will go to the south, you should learn french
if you will go to the north, you should learn dutch
If you will go to eastern cantons, you should learn german
and in Brussels are dutch, french and arabic usefull.

If you don't know yet what part it is maybe use full to know that 60% of the population speak dutch, 40% french and the other languages are less significant.