British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Moving abroad. Recommendations? And a question about laws. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/moving-abroad-recommendations-question-about-laws-511357/)

Ems_8674 Feb 3rd 2008 12:23 pm

Moving abroad. Recommendations? And a question about laws.

Hello, I just joined. I'm still a UK resident and citizen but hopefully not for too much longer. I think this site could be really useful, as I haven't made up my mind where to go yet. I'm graduating in June and looking for a fresh start elsewhere. I've been to many countries, and do not consider language or culture shock an issue. For the time being I'm looking in particular for information about where other countries stand on the biometric identity card/passport and NIR-style database issue, as this will definitely help me decide. Anyone? Thanks in advance. :)

Emma.

jdr Feb 3rd 2008 7:01 pm

Re: Moving abroad. Recommendations? And a question about laws.

Originally Posted by Ems_8674 (Post 5877658)
Hello, I just joined. I'm still a UK resident and citizen but hopefully not for too much longer. I think this site could be really useful, as I haven't made up my mind where to go yet. I'm graduating in June and looking for a fresh start elsewhere. I've been to many countries, and do not consider language or culture shock an issue. For the time being I'm looking in particular for information about where other countries stand on the biometric identity card/passport and NIR-style database issue, as this will definitely help me decide. Anyone? Thanks in advance. :)

Emma.

What difference would your posh passport make to your move :confused:

Ems_8674 Feb 4th 2008 1:26 pm

I'm looking for info because I don't want to move to another country that has a scheme planned that's similar to our NIR. It's not about the passport. I'm not going to renew my UK passport.

Mitzyboy Feb 4th 2008 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ems_8674 (Post 5882672)
I'm looking for info because I don't want to move to another country that has a scheme planned that's similar to our NIR. It's not about the passport. I'm not going to renew my UK passport.

Thats interesting ....... if you're not going to renew your UK passport what are you going to do? You wont be able to go anywhere will you? :confused:

Ems_8674 Feb 5th 2008 9:06 pm

I have a passport that doesn't expire until 2014. I have plenty of time to go somewhere else before it's due for renewal.

Mitzyboy Feb 5th 2008 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ems_8674 (Post 5890671)
I have a passport that doesn't expire until 2014. I have plenty of time to go somewhere else before it's due for renewal.

Ahhh, I understand now

chicagojlo Feb 5th 2008 11:03 pm

Is the NIR the id card thing? Because pretty much all EU countries have id cards. And as a foreigner you are often expected to carry an extra id which identifies you as a legal alien in that country. The UK is actually pretty behind in those stakes.

Ems_8674 Feb 5th 2008 11:32 pm

Many EU countries do indeed have ID but right now what sets the UK system apart is that these ID cards will be biometric, they will be linked to a large centralised database of information about you, and they will be the only identity document that entitles you to important things such as healthcare and education.

In most cases I'm not required to have or carry documents such as the French carte de séjour as I'm from an EU member state. Right now my passport or driving licence suffices to prove my identity and really it should be enough.

DORI DOE Feb 6th 2008 12:05 pm

Hi Emma
If you want to live, work and use the health system in Italy you'll need to register with the local authority and get an ID card and show a whole load of paperwork. Italy is mind boggling for bureaucracy. You won't need to register with the police anymore though. When I last got my ID card renewed there was talk of introducing plastic cards with all your details and a fingerprint is that what biometric is? Anyhow nothing has come of that for the time being.

chicagojlo Feb 6th 2008 2:51 pm

Holland has a requirement for registration and a law requiring the carrying of ID. But you don't have to give any biometrics for that yet. You can also live and work quite easily in Holland without learning the language. But as a woman in Holland look forward to losing far more of your freedom than giving out your biometrics will cost you.

Honest_H Feb 8th 2008 1:01 pm

Why are you so hung up about the biometrics thing. If the country you decide on doesn't have it, then you won't need it surely.

Believe me, there's lots more to worry about that your passport when moving!:blink:

Honest_H Feb 8th 2008 1:04 pm

Just a thought - but if you have nothing to hide does it really matter if one more organisation has information on you?

chicagojlo Feb 8th 2008 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Honest_H (Post 5904145)
Why are you so hung up about the biometrics thing. If the country you decide on doesn't have it, then you won't need it surely.

Believe me, there's lots more to worry about that your passport when moving!:blink:

I believe the problem is that she doesn't want to hand over her biometrics, so she is looking for the elusive country that doesn't have a big brother style ID card system.

If you've ever had a blood test or got your eyes tested then who's to say they don't already have them on file? Personally I believe that if you stay out of trouble then who cares what they have on you?

Honest_H Feb 11th 2008 5:11 am

Originally Posted by chicagojlo (Post 5904583)
I believe the problem is that she doesn't want to hand over her biometrics, so she is looking for the elusive country that doesn't have a big brother style ID card system.

If you've ever had a blood test or got your eyes tested then who's to say they don't already have them on file? Personally I believe that if you stay out of trouble then who cares what they have on you?

Completely agree, if you've got nothing to hide who cares!

Ems_8674 Feb 11th 2008 3:09 pm

http://tech.uk.msn.com/features/arti...mentid=7317132

This easy to read article sums it up fairly well. Something to think about, anyway.