Reload this Page >

Move to Upper Austria

Move to Upper Austria

Old Jun 8th 2007, 11:08 am
Just Joined

cabalsom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to Upper Austria

Hello!
I am moving with my German husband to Upper Austria, around Kremsmunster and Steyr. Just wondering if there's anybody out there with any useful info for an English with two small kids (4yrs and 10months)? How are the locals? Will they be friendly to someone who's German isn't all that good yet!!
Thanks
Charlotte
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

yodeller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Move to Upper Austria

Hi,

My son moved to about 80 km from where you are going, his wife is trying hard to learn German - and they have had no problems with locals at all.

The local toddlers group has welcomed her, I think they like the opportunity of practicing their English (the mothers, not the toddlers) - it's a good idea to join one to quickly make friends and to find out about kid-related things (like getting children vaccinated against tick-born diseases - a problem unknown in the UK).

The simple rule when moving into any country is to use the proper greeting and farewell and keep trying to add more words as you go.

In Northern Austria they are used to English tourists, and the younger people have learned English in school - so you should not find any problems.

I don't think there is the same reluctance to talk in English here as in some other countries.

Your husband will find there are differences between Austrian German and the High German he uses, so at least you will both be learning.

Bets of luck,
Tony