British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Move to Spain or move to Italy? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/move-spain-move-italy-482248/)

overdriven Sep 19th 2007 6:39 pm

Move to Spain or move to Italy?

:confused:

If you could do it all over again, or even just for the first time, what would you do, and why?

barbara preston Sep 29th 2007 5:09 pm

Re: Move to Spain or move to Italy?

The answer is NO! We are a retired couple, living for the past 7 years in southern Spain (Murcia province) and I, personally, am completly fed up with searing summer heat, lack of water, arid landscapes (I will admit it is very pretty in Springtime), flies, dust, litter etc. etc. I do believe however, that we have chosen the wrong area of Spain and that I would probably been much happier in northern Spain where it rains sometimes, is green and much cooler in the summer. Spain does have some positive things, cheaper cost of living, nutritious food, cheap fags and booze (if that is applicable to you), health service much superior to the UK and generally friendly people. Howev er and this is purely a personal opinion as my OH is quite happy here, I crave greenery, lakes and rivers, four seasons, less intense heat etc. etc. Given the chance again, I would have looked at France first, my home will always be the UK but my OH suffered severely at the hands of the NHS and will, under no circumstances, return there. Consequently, we are looking at France or possibly northern Spain. With regards to Italy, I cannot comment as I have never visited that country. What do you hope to achieve by living in Spain? What is important to you? I will be pleased to answer your questions if I can. Best wishes, Barbara

SoJohn Sep 29th 2007 5:57 pm

Northern Spain is nice (it's where I am). I have only been here a month though. I'm told the winters are quite wet and can get quite cold (depending where you are). I'm on the coast and have been told it never dips below 3 degrees in winter. Further inland it goes below freezing(not far inland either) and they do indeed have some ski resorts in the mountains.

barbara preston Oct 1st 2007 9:16 am

Hi SoJohn, was very interested to hear you are living in Galicia. Really, I don't mind the rain or the cold, what would be nicer than staying indoors with a big roaring fire or wrapping up warm and going out for a walk? What kind of property have you got? We are considering renting on a long term basis, at least until we decide if we want to buy another property. We are both getting on a bit now and as our family don 't want, or need, to inherit what we have, there seems little point in buying again just for them to have the hassle of inheritance tax etc. Are you finding the locals friendly and are there many expats living up there? We are planning to come up later this month so that we can see for ourselves what the area can offer us. Any info. greatly appreciated. Best wishes, Barbara

SoJohn Oct 1st 2007 9:35 am

Hi,

I'm renting a 3 bedroom house for 600 euros a month (excluding bills). Locals are friendly when you get to know them but you will find few that greet strangers and most wouldn't appreciate you trying to. Best way is to go to the local restaurants and make yourself known. Once they know you, you are set!

There are hardly any expats here. I think there is maybe 3 or 4 other people on the forum from this area and I'm not aware of any in the same town as me. As for searching for somewhere to live, if you liked the area where I am, I could probably help in finding you somewhere to rent. It's the perfect time of year to start looking really. My landlady tells me the area from Vigo to Cedeira (quite a long stretch) is the best place to look. You can safely go about 40 KMs inland and still have relatively good services. Of course, the big cities should as Santiago are an exception and have fantastic services ;)

XTreme Oct 1st 2007 8:48 pm

Galicians are Celts SoJohn! I'd be the toast of the town in a week! :lol:
Actually, we have considered checking that area out.....maybe sometime over the next few months (and when I get a buyer for the house) I'll take a trip up there.
Why did you choose Galicia though?

SoJohn Oct 1st 2007 9:03 pm

Some like to think of themselves as Celts but it's been pretty much disproved. You would certainly be a celeb in some of the more remote places though :rofl:

I chose it for the climate. I never had a huge problem with the English climate. I didn't want it too hot and I also like it green. So, Galicia comes top of the list for that! Warmer summers than the UK but not excessively so and seasonal weather.

Ray51 Oct 2nd 2007 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by overdriven (Post 5330855)

If you could do it all over again, or even just for the first time, what would you do, and why?

Are finances a consideration ?

barbara preston Oct 4th 2007 2:36 pm

Hello again SoJohn, thanks for the info and offer of help. I'm going to look on the map to see exactly whereabouts you are and will get in touch again when we have arranged a date for our visit. Best wishes, Barbara

Joe King Oct 4th 2007 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by overdriven (Post 5330855)

Although happy in Spain, we originally had the choice of France or here, and looking back we should have chosen France. Barbara Preston's post sums it up in many ways, but France has fewer negatives and most of the positives. We still might end up in France one day.

Crossing the border between France and Spain - especially along the west coast - is like going from Western Europe into former Communist Eastern Europe, the contrast is so marked.

Then there's the language issue in much of Spain - yes nearly everyone you meet speaks Spanish, but to really integrate you have to speak the local language too. In France it's just French.

Plus property in France is cheaper - not least in rural areas. The downside of rural areas is that if you need employment forget it. That said quality jobs aren't growing on palm trees in Spain either. :huh:

As for Italy, have only been there on holiday so don't know what it is like to live there.

Mitzyboy Oct 4th 2007 9:34 pm

Just goes to show peoples different viewpoints.

I've been relatively happy with our move to Spain, albeit I dont have to work. I find the countryside around here to be very beautiful, especially if you travel inland, and theres more than enough greenery.

I didn't find this year too hot, apart from a few days in late July / early august. I find the people fairly friendly.

Downside is the disorganisation in red tape. Having to queue for hours and hours to get a residency certificate for instance, but from what I read this is the same in Italy. The language is of course an issue with the different regions, but you will get language issues whichever country you choose.

Every country has its own challenges

Beebop Oct 4th 2007 9:41 pm

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by barbara preston (Post 5368483)
The answer is NO! We are a retired couple, living for the past 7 years in southern Spain (Murcia province) and I, personally, am completly fed up with searing summer heat, lack of water, arid landscapes (I will admit it is very pretty in Springtime), flies, dust, litter etc. etc. I do believe however, that we have chosen the wrong area of Spain and that I would probably been much happier in northern Spain where it rains sometimes, is green and much cooler in the summer. Spain does have some positive things, cheaper cost of living, nutritious food, cheap fags and booze (if that is applicable to you), health service much superior to the UK and generally friendly people. Howev er and this is purely a personal opinion as my OH is quite happy here, I crave greenery, lakes and rivers, four seasons, less intense heat etc. etc. Given the chance again, I would have looked at France first, my home will always be the UK but my OH suffered severely at the hands of the NHS and will, under no circumstances, return there. Consequently, we are looking at France or possibly northern Spain. With regards to Italy, I cannot comment as I have never visited that country. What do you hope to achieve by living in Spain? What is important to you? I will be pleased to answer your questions if I can. Best wishes, Barbara

Just been to Asturias.....

treskillard Oct 7th 2007 3:06 pm

I don't think until recently it was possible to live in Italy the way it seems people can live in Spain. I mean that there wasn't so much property being built in Italy, not on the coast or inland and it was more difficult to buy and expensive. I've heard that there are projects being developed in Calabria that are quite large scale, but on that thread someone commented that they 'hope it doesn't end up like Spain'. Living in Italy is like, perhaps, living inland in Spain? Away from the conveniences of the coastal plain and without large concentrations of British people. I've got plenty of family and friends in Spain and they all seem happy there. Depends what you want really. Cornwall is nice! ;)

barbara preston Oct 23rd 2007 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Beebop (Post 5387984)
Just been to Asturias.....

Hello Beebop, saw your photos of Asturias and it certainly looks beautiful. Where were you staying, how was the weather and how did you find the locals? The only drawback I can see from my research on the province is the amount of rainfall it gets but you can't have greenery without it! Any info would be gratefully accepted. Best wishes, Barbara

SoJohn Oct 23rd 2007 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by barbara preston (Post 5457295)
Hello Beebop, saw your photos of Asturias and it certainly looks beautiful. Where were you staying, how was the weather and how did you find the locals? The only drawback I can see from my research on the province is the amount of rainfall it gets but you can't have greenery without it! Any info would be gratefully accepted. Best wishes, Barbara

Just so you know, you can only fly direct to Stanstead from Asturias. Of course, you can get internal flights to Madrid and such.