Reload this Page >

Marriage questions--us to uk

Marriage questions--us to uk

Old Feb 19th 2003, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

lexelf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage questions--us to uk

Hi all!!

I've posted in 2 other forums and everyone keeps saying "post in this forum" and I post there and someone else says "you shouldn't post that here, post it there" so I'm just posting wherever I see even a little relevance and hope I can get some help!!!

This is my situation:

I am an American citizen who is engaged to a British citizen. I'm planning on moving to England late June to go to school and be with him. We are planning a wedding for June 20th in the United States, but aren't sure whether to make it a legal celebration or wait until later.

Ideally we'd like to wed in the USA and then go back to England about a week later. I'm planning on filling out a Spouse visa to remain in the UK, but I have a few questions on this:

1--Is it easier to marry in the US and then move to the UK, or move to the UK on a student or spouse visa and marry there?

2--For the spouse visa (if we do marry in the USA) should I check fiancee for our relationship now, or wife for what our situation will be when I move??

3--If we choose to get married in England, should I bother with the spouse visa since I can go on the waiver program to attend college??

From what the british consulate told me, yes I can go just on the visa waiver to go to college!! All I have to do is show my letter of acceptance and a bank statement showing I have enough money to support myself, and I'm in the clear. Since I'm from the USA they don't require a visa for that.

Please help....sorry for all the questions but I REALLY don't want to mess things up for us I've read a lot of heartbreaking stories about couples needing to spend months or years apart because of messing up applications or misunderstanding qualifications, and I've had to spend enough time without my honey (as I'm sure is the same reaction to a lot of people in these forums )

Good luck to everyone who's trying to get through this (in my mind) rediculous length of papers and confusion!!

-alexis