British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Lousy Expat forum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/lousy-expat-forum-238045/)

Alan.J Jun 23rd 2004 3:08 pm

Lousy Expat forum

Hello peeps, I'm here as an Expat living in Spain, near Valencia.
I did belong to another board but I was given my marching orders, no thats not correct, I was booted off for not being willing to accept 'spam' email from the board Admin, they had/have a bee in their bonnets about rip off Estate agents, it was being hit on every forum they have on that site, then we were also being bombarded with emails about them. Because I sent an email back asking not to be included with amails about estate agents, the reply I got was' fine, we'll delete your account to stop you whinning'..!!! I sent them 3 emails back asking why they were being so bloody childish and they didnt bother to reply to one, So I'm best out of there and looking for a new home and new board to share information with... I hope this is the one..Smile
The other board??? -h**p://www.valenciaexpats.com but dont rush there, they only take on people who will accept the admin's views 100%

mutant Jun 23rd 2004 3:59 pm

Re: Lousy Expat forum

Originally posted by Alan.J
I did belong to another board but I was given my marching orders, no thats not correct, I was booted off for not being willing to accept 'spam' email from the board Admin, they had/have a bee in their bonnets about rip off Estate agents, it was being hit on every forum they have on that site, then we were also being bombarded with emails about them. Because I sent an email back asking not to be included with amails about estate agents, the reply I got was' fine, we'll delete your account to stop you whinning'..!!! I sent them 3 emails back asking why they were being so bloody childish and they didnt bother to reply to one, So I'm best out of there and looking for a new home and new board to share information with... I hope this is the one..Smile
The other board??? -h**p://www.valenciaexpats.com but dont rush there, they only take on people who will accept the admin's views 100%
What makes you think this forum is any different?

;)

sibsie Jun 23rd 2004 4:19 pm

Estate agents are the curse of living in Spain. There is no escaping them!

Where do you live? I used to live in Jesus Pobre.

Mercedes Jun 23rd 2004 4:27 pm

Originally posted by sibsie

Jesus is also everywhere in Spain, I literally bumped into him when I had a car accident:D

Alan.J Jun 23rd 2004 4:33 pm

Originally posted by sibsie

I agree they are everywhere, but I dont want numerous emails telling me how mad they are, I read enough on every bloody forum they have there with the emails as well

paddy99 Jun 26th 2004 8:54 am

Got to say I tried that site and found it OK didn't get any emails about agents,but must admit do prefer this one.

catwank Jul 4th 2004 11:14 pm

what's the deal with all the estate agents in spain? I couldn't believe the Alicante airport when I was on the Costa Blanca last month -- I thought I had somehow been diverted to a real estate expo instead of an arrivals terminal. I guess buying a home in Spain is the "in" thing for well-to-do Brits? (must be what all those buy-to-let flats in London are paying for...)
;)

lynnxa Jul 5th 2004 5:58 am

I had to beg to be removed from their list - don't know if they did it - but I think they finally banned me:D
They were altering my posts and those of others of us who were members of an MSN board the administrators had taken a dislike to:mad:

All we did was voice opinions.......................

here4life Jul 7th 2004 9:59 am

If you subscribe to a forum and agree to receive mailings it is hardly fair to refer to them as spam, unless of course they refuse to remove you from their list. I don't suppose the forum software even allows selective bulk emailing so it has to be sent to either all or nobody. If you didn't want to receive the mailings the easiest way was to either leave the forum or create an email account specifically to register there. You don't really think that a forum operator will create a personalised mailshot for each user ? There again, perhaps you do.

As for nonsense about taking on views most forum operators delete or edit messages. Spanish Surviving has masses of -this message has been deleted by the forum administrators- or whatever the wording is, Idealspain.com has lots of missing messages. If you don't believe it compare google search In Cache with the actual pages (try this url http://www.google.es/search?q=115660...UTF-8&filter=0).

You could say a forum was someones business site and just like an estate agent, plumber or ebay for that matter will control what is said on their website, why shouldn't anyone else.

I could go on for ages but wont bother because people like [deleted] will always win. (Most normal people can spot the troublemakers a mile off)

Sometimes it is probably worth a forum operator banning someone or being rude to them because people with big mouths are excellent for giving free publicity to a site. It must save forum operators hours going around finding places to create publicity.

The Spanish have a saying "Lo toma o lo deja".

Edited by Moderator ... Deletion of personal information on another member not allowed without their express consent.

chrispartern Jul 7th 2004 11:11 am

Very interesting message threads especially the comments about being the in thing for well to do Brits.

There seem to be many think themselves middleclass (especially women) who have little or nothing to do all day except wander around churning shite. This one said, that one said. Just a modern day version of over the fence gossip with a bigger audience.

Even the workingclass Brits have 100,000 equity in the house in Brit, sell it and buy outright in Spain thinking\\\\\\\\knowing they are kings which they are for a while until they realise the reality of earning a living when the funds run out. There are plenty of them that now think they are middleclass.

georgia42 Jul 7th 2004 11:28 am

Chris you talk absolute shite yourself!

lynnxa Jul 7th 2004 11:33 am

Originally posted by georgia42
Chris you talk absolute shite yourself!

thanks Georgia - I thought it was just me who thought that - but didn't want to upset a newbie.

do you know him from somewhere??

georgia42 Jul 7th 2004 11:52 am

His opinions and comments sound very familiar to me..... and here for good is someone who posted on the "lousy expat forum" that the guy who started this thread mentioned

lynnxa Jul 7th 2004 11:57 am

His opinions and comments sound very familiar to me..... and here for good is someone who posted on the "lousy expat forum" that the guy who started this thread mentioned

yes...... I remember here4ever

seems to be a variation on a theme

what upset me about that site is not that posts could be deleted - but they were actually copying & pasting posts of mine from another forum and trying to add them to my posts without my knowledge - and for all I know are still using my nic to stir things up
I assume I have been banned since I can no longer get in there - although I do know all my old posts are still there

I actually thought it was a really useful, and sometimes fun, site

georgia42 Jul 7th 2004 1:07 pm

I agree it has some good information on it, its just a shame that other stuff has got in the way, and also not good to copy and paste peoples messages, I know someone else that has happened too.Could always visit an internet cafe to have a look, hear there is one in Betera :eek:

lynnxa Jul 7th 2004 1:32 pm

thought of that georgia - but then it would seem like it was taking over - I've got much better things to do

nado - tomo el sol - tomo vino;)

ironporer Jul 7th 2004 1:55 pm

Originally posted by xabiachica
thought of that georgia - but then it would seem like it was taking over - I've got much better things to do

nado - tomo el sol - tomo vino;)
Joer xabia, te has vuelto spanish!! Next thing you'll be playing cards at the cafe, drinking your carajillo, copa and smoking a "Faria".

chrispartern Jul 7th 2004 2:51 pm

there was a here4good or something or other on one of the forums that signed

tab

Anyway why not take your continuing arguing back to your own site or don't you want all the hassle and grief there ? You prefer that to be a place to **help** people ?

Anyway they edit posts here so carrying on wasting your time if you wish silly girls

georgia42 Jul 7th 2004 4:21 pm

Chris why does it bother you what we say? and our posts have not been moderated cos they are fair.
You seem to have a real bee in your bonnet about women, are you single? wouldn't surprise me, how do you know we are girls, might be pensioners, we have every right to post our comments, as you do, so be quiet

georgia42 Jul 7th 2004 4:23 pm

Just another point, Alan J started this thread yet seems to get no critiscism from you, is it because he is a man

lynnxa Jul 7th 2004 5:54 pm

Originally posted by ironporer
Joer xabia, te has vuelto spanish!! Next thing you'll be playing cards at the cafe, drinking your carajillo, copa and smoking a "Faria".
si, es un buen idea, me gusto mucho el carajillo, pero no fumo.

feel free to correct the spanish - I've only been learning a few months

lynnxa Jul 7th 2004 5:54 pm

Chris why does it bother you what we say? and our posts have not been moderated cos they are fair.
You seem to have a real bee in your bonnet about women, are you single? wouldn't surprise me, how do you know we are girls, might be pensioners, we have every right to post our comments, as you do, so be quiet

hear hear

ironporer Jul 7th 2004 6:33 pm

Originally posted by xabiachica
si, es un buen idea, me gusto mucho el carajillo, pero no fumo.

feel free to correct the spanish - I've only been learning a few months
No hay nada que corregir, lo has dicho/escrito perfectamente. A few more months and you'll seem "nativa".

lynnxa Jul 7th 2004 6:38 pm

No hay nada que corregir, lo has dicho/escrito perfectamente. A few more months and you'll seem "nativa".

trouble is I've got so many more tenses and hundreds of verbs to learn:scared:

Rete Jul 7th 2004 6:51 pm

Originally posted by chrispartern
there was a here4good or something or other on one of the forums that signed

tab

Anyway why not take your continuing arguing back to your own site or don't you want all the hassle and grief there ? You prefer that to be a place to **help** people ?

Anyway they edit posts here so carrying on wasting your time if you wish silly girls

Yes, British Expats is a moderated forum. But moderated with a very open mind and posts are only edited or deleted after a complaint has been issued and/or the vulgarity or subject matter is such that it violates even the most jaded among us and/or interudes on another's personal information and posters can be banned if they fail to behave in a manner befitting an adult.

The edit to this thread dealt with the editing of personal information at the request of the person involved. The post itself, in its entirety, remains for all to see and respond to.

Rete

lynnxa Jul 7th 2004 7:57 pm

my 8 year old daughter is having some extra spanish lessons at my school - she's doing stuff I haven't yet:(

chrispartern Jul 8th 2004 8:08 am

Of course Rete you carry on. You are doing an excellent job. There must be 1000's of companies out there wanting to cough up dosh to display banner adverts on pages carrying their drivel.

As it happens it is pretty easy for anyone to work out the identity considering the same person posts pretty much the same on lord knows how many forums and makes no attempt to hide the name.

But who cares, they are only housewives with nothing better to do

Won't waste anymore of your time will let you get back to your important job of moderating as there must be lots of stuff needing it done. Hope they pay you well, (well) relative to the status of the job :D

georgia42 Jul 8th 2004 8:28 am

What's wrong with housewives???????, you don't like anyone do you.

sibsie Jul 8th 2004 12:15 pm

Blimey all this bickering reminds me of why I hated expat life in Spain!

Rete doesn't get paid to moderate. She's mainly in the US Marriage based immigration sections and has her hands full with that.

lynnxa Jul 8th 2004 3:33 pm

Originally posted by chrispartern
Of course Rete you carry on. You are doing an excellent job. There must be 1000's of companies out there wanting to cough up dosh to display banner adverts on pages carrying their drivel.

As it happens it is pretty easy for anyone to work out the identity considering the same person posts pretty much the same on lord knows how many forums and makes no attempt to hide the name.

But who cares, they are only housewives with nothing better to do

Won't waste anymore of your time will let you get back to your important job of moderating as there must be lots of stuff needing it done. Hope they pay you well, (well) relative to the status of the job :D

why would I - or anyone else - want to hide their identity - if we have nothing to hide?

& what is wrong with posting on several sites on the same subject - particularly if you are looking for advice or information?:confused:

Alan.J Jul 8th 2004 7:21 pm

Geez you none Brits are really taking umbridge!!
I started this topic, firstly as a 'Hello' and secondly to let people know about a forum where you cannot voice an opinion, now if that makes me a 'middle class'' brit then you yanks need to look for your heritage! its fixed firmly in Europe...

ly**xa I remember you well from the other forum and I'm more than pleased to see you on here...
As for the rest of the posts on this thread that are either knocking Brits, knocking women or generally being a pain in the ass... the word is SWIVEL! :)

georgia42 Jul 8th 2004 8:09 pm

Well said, by the way I am not a non brit.....................