British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   looking for work abroad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/looking-work-abroad-858616/)

paulbuilder30 May 21st 2015 2:24 pm

looking for work abroad

Hello my names paul i am a single 30 year old male. I am a builder have been since i left school.i am multi skilled in most trades. Looking for work abroad. Possibly south of france but will consider anywhere. With accomadation is a bonus. I can drive. I can also send c.v if requested. Thankyou for reading.

dmu May 21st 2015 4:58 pm

Re: looking for work abroad

Originally Posted by paulbuilder30 (Post 11652373)
Hello my names paul i am a single 30 year old male. I am a builder have been since i left school.i am multi skilled in most trades. Looking for work abroad. Possibly south of france but will consider anywhere. With accomadation is a bonus. I can drive. I can also send c.v if requested. Thankyou for reading.

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
The first question is, do you speak any European languages? Whichever country you choose, you need to speak the language well enough to compete with the local builders who are also chasing work. Also to cope with the bureaucracy for setting up a business structure and communicating with the local clients. And for knowing the local Standards to be complied with in order to sign off work.
Even if you speak French well, I wouldn't recommend aiming at anywhere in France, as the building sector isn't very dynamic at the moment and unemployment rates are very high. And I'm sorry to say that accommodation won't be offered, except for farming jobs via Wwoof, HelpX or other agencies.
Sorry to be discouraging, but it's not recommended to move to France without a salaried job lined up (for heathcare coverage, renting, etc...)
Good luck with your search!:)

paulbuilder30 May 21st 2015 5:08 pm

Is there any good country?

dmu May 21st 2015 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by paulbuilder30 (Post 11652611)
Is there any good country?

If you only speak English, then maybe a Scandinavian country or the Netherlands, where they speak English well? Or Eire? But southern Europe is in a bad way economically and unemployment rates are much higher than in the UK.
Sorry I can't advise more.
All the best...

paulbuilder30 May 21st 2015 6:19 pm

Thankyou

booboo24 May 24th 2015 4:35 pm

It really depends on what kind of wage you are looking for. Here in Slovenia, builders get paid between Five and Six euros an hour. Croatia, Montenegro,Greece get paid less.

If you just want the experience of living abroad then there are sites like workaways.

cyrian May 26th 2015 10:25 am

A few years ago, I came across a Brit working for a French house construction company in France - I assume as a joiner.
I also met a Brit working for a similar company or a sub-contractor who was in France with his French girlfriend.
I have no idea how they found the jobs but it is possible.
Sorry can't help more.