British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Looking for low cost of living seaside location in Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/looking-low-cost-living-seaside-location-europe-791129/)

Ray51 Apr 26th 2013 5:28 pm

Re: Looking for low cost of living seaside location in Europe

Originally Posted by booboo24 (Post 10672420)
We just had two very friendly women stay with us for the weekend from Hungary. Don't like the food there but then again I am a bit fussy about what I eat. It was cheap but it tasted cheap! I liked the ice cream. Oh and everywhere I have had coffee I got real cream :thumbsup:
Not a place I would chose to live! Our next stop will be somewhere warmer in winter :)

I much recommend Belgium .;):thumbdown:

JB80 Apr 27th 2013 10:49 am

Originally Posted by James24 (Post 10613177)
I'd like to be somewhere that actually has a summer, with beautiful beaches, and a low of cost of living.

That's Belgium out.
It doesn't fill any of the OPs criteria.

Ray51 Apr 27th 2013 12:42 pm

Akshuelly , I write this from Bruxelles right now :
have not been here for a few months ( as I normally also live in Surrey ) ;
I am Shocked at the EUro-INFLATION , it feels as if Eeeverything has gone up 50-60% in price , since late last autumn !
Madness !
The Krauts have muuucho to answer for , or we must have yet another War , with zeir 4th Reich of ze Rich ?
A Bientot de Belgique & Luxembourg ,
R.J.M.

nicktonight Apr 27th 2013 2:27 pm

I work over the internet in Siracusa Sicily -very fast connnections - Fantastic food, countryside, historical monuments, wonderful sea and cheap rents (appartment of 140 square meters 650 Euros/month with panoramic views). The very big downside is the extortionate and incomprehensible tax/pension system in particular if you work freelance - expats seem to be getting ripped off all over Europe now and it is as well to get you tax situation checked by an accountant before becoming a resident

Ray51 Apr 27th 2013 5:14 pm

Excellent response , Nick !
Plz , tell us more , by Forum or p.m.

nicktonight Apr 28th 2013 8:06 pm

Hi Ray
I thought it was James looking for a sunny spot! The one piece of advice I can give to any freelancer hoping to work from home in some sunny paradise is to get freelance status in the UK and then rent for a few months in different countries as a non-resident and pay all your pension and taxes in the UK where they are far lower than anywhere else. Find out very carefully first what being a freelancer entails in the country you fancy before doing anything rash like taking out residency. You can get very good pay as you go internet connections over the telephone now in most countries. I used to use one when I first came to Italy with no problem.

Jon-Bxl Apr 29th 2013 9:26 am

Originally Posted by nicktonight (Post 10682458)
Hi Ray
I thought it was James looking for a sunny spot! The one piece of advice I can give to any freelancer hoping to work from home in some sunny paradise is to get freelance status in the UK and then rent for a few months in different countries as a non-resident and pay all your pension and taxes in the UK where they are far lower than anywhere else. Find out very carefully first what being a freelancer entails in the country you fancy before doing anything rash like taking out residency. You can get very good pay as you go internet connections over the telephone now in most countries. I used to use one when I first came to Italy with no problem.

That has to be the best advice Ive heard on the forum for a long time. It applies to freelancers as well as non-freelancers, retirees, relocators etc etc

1: 'Suck it and see' staying outside of the residency criteria. (Beware in e.g France even a non resident becomes one after staying a set period of time, I think 184 days). Check it out for your country!
2: Keep it simple: Stay within the UK tax and legal/social system that you are already used to whilst you try it out step 1.
3: Take financial and tax advice - before committing once step 2 is good. Even if it costs some money, it'll cost FAR MORE emotionally and financially if you later regret not having done this.

I would add one thing that is to check out your medical coverage in the country of choice... and always have enough funds to go back home in case of any sort of emergency. Keep the exit route open!

With Europe in a state of crisis, the dream of living abroad may not be as one thought in reality.

It never ceases to surprise me how some people when buying / moving abroad apply a far looser set of decision criteria, or do far less research when making such a HUGE step... than they would in e.g buying a house in the UK, or e.g changing county.

We enjoy watching the relo-programmes e.g 'Place in the Sun' and often wonder how these people would actually survive, realistically and properly, in their new environment.

However the crisis throws up opportunities.. we wont be over it overnight, so there is time available to make a good decision. There are wonderful opportunities to move re price/location once the above steps are done.

Jon

Ray51 Apr 29th 2013 10:47 am

Hi , Jon !
Believe this or not , I just returned from BXL , literally 20-30 mins ago ;
I had hoped to see/meet ya BUT the circumstances were such that I had Nil time whatsoever ;
stayed @ 4 Points Sheraton ( Rue Paul Spaak , Ixelles 1050 , I think ? )
bought stuff at totally incredible astronomic prices
from Jolly-Frais on ze corner ;
here in Kingston-town I get e.g a bunch of freshest roses/buds for 2 quid ,
kilo of nicest apples for 99 pence ,
a Stella Artois pint for 90 pence ( chilled ) and I just had a proper English breakkie for princely 3 quid , sausages , egg , dble Grrreat bacon , grilled tomato , mushroomz , beanz , dble wholewheat toast , yoghurt , butter etc
@ my 'round ze corner Wetherspoons , Fine for a poor bloke like myself !
The EUropeanz are KRAZY , noone works properly , everything is over-charged to the hilt , most shops can't make it anywayz ( as opposed to London/Surrey/Kent/Sussex etc ) ;
I could not belive paying over 4 EUros @ Michael Collins for a little glass of some Shite NONAME/Respect SAfferred plonk ?
( Luckilly , ze aspiring female paid fore Eeeverything !
Someone's lost ze Plot , somewhere ;
when you get back to Londres , the difference is jis mind-boggling ( compared to zat corrupt age-tested & hugely overpiced - apples 4 apples -Bedlam there... )
Cheerz , mate , I'll re-visit real soon , EUrostar or my car ,
look me up on www.pic-europe.com
R.J.M

Jon-Bxl Apr 29th 2013 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Ray51 (Post 10683261)
Hi , Jon !
Believe this or not , I just returned from BXL , literally 20-30 mins ago ;
I had hoped to see/meet ya BUT the circumstances were such that I had Nil time whatsoever ;
stayed @ 4 Points Sheraton ( Rue Paul Spaak , Ixelles 1050 , I think ? )
bought stuff at totally incredible astronomic prices
from Jolly-Frais on ze corner ;
here in Kingston-town I get e.g a bunch of freshest roses/buds for 2 quid ,
kilo of nicest apples for 99 pence ,
a Stella Artois pint for 90 pence ( chilled ) and I just had a proper English breakkie for princely 3 quid , sausages , egg , dble Grrreat bacon , grilled tomato , mushroomz , beanz , dble wholewheat toast , yoghurt , butter etc
@ my 'round ze corner Wetherspoons , Fine for a poor bloke like myself !
The EUropeanz are KRAZY , noone works properly , everything is over-charged to the hilt , most shops can't make it anywayz ( as opposed to London/Surrey/Kent/Sussex etc ) ;
I could not belive paying over 4 EUros @ Michael Collins for a little glass of some Shite NONAME/Respect SAfferred plonk ?
( Luckilly , ze aspiring female paid fore Eeeverything !
Someone's lost ze Plot , somewhere ;
when you get back to Londres , the difference is jis mind-boggling ( compared to zat corrupt age-tested & hugely overpiced - apples 4 apples -Bedlam there... )
Cheerz , mate , I'll re-visit real soon , EUrostar or my car ,
look me up on www.pic-europe.com
R.J.M

Hi Ray

Sorry to have missed you - but understand that you were busy. Re the costs of Brussels you are right its not low cost living in Europe, as per the title.

However if you go just away from the areas you were in you can still do OK price wise. I can get a 2 course meal for 2 people with a bottle of wine for 26 for 2 people in quite a few restos. And the more local bars will do a Stella/Maes 33cl for under 2 Euros.

Our local does a dish of the day - excellent quality + coffee for 10.50 for lunch and beers are I think 1.60 each... thats very close to Place Flagey one of the busy areas.

Ive done the Sam Smiths pub crawl in London a few times and always pleasantly surprised at the prices and the nice pubs right in the middle of London..... Of course you cant beat Weatherspoons for the prices either, I dont mind going there - but a lot of people take the mikey of it. I think it provides a good service price/quality.

But fry up (one of my favourite meals) for only 3quid.... heaven!

Maybe see you on your next visit

Cheers
Jon

britishbull Jun 2nd 2013 8:00 am

Malta is one of the few euro countries left with a good tax regime and studios start at about 400 euro a month nearish to the main tourist areas. It is a very small island, though, so easy to get bored. Even if you your UK NI isn't paid up due to living abroad you can still get free health care. Internet speeds seem fine to me but I am used to using 3G dongle. Overseas income is only taxed if remitted. Beaches aren't brilliant and winters can be quite cool.