British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Looking for low cost of living seaside location in Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/looking-low-cost-living-seaside-location-europe-791129/)

James24 Mar 19th 2013 7:34 pm

Looking for low cost of living seaside location in Europe

I'm a web developer from the UK, currently working remotely in Asia.

The cost of living here is low (around £500 a month all in!) but the visa situation is starting to get difficult as I've been in the same countries in quick succession.

I'm thinking of moving back to Europe where I can be a permanent resident, Ideally I'd like to be somewhere that actually has a summer, with beautiful beaches, and a low of cost of living.

I appreciate it isn't going to be as cheap as Asia! Employment isn't an issue as I can work from anywhere.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Mitzyboy Mar 19th 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Looking for low cost of living seaside location in Europe

Low cost seaside location in Europe ....... it really doesn't exist I'm afraid

James24 Mar 19th 2013 9:45 pm

Maybe I'm being a bit optimistic! :(

I should have asked, what are the cheapest locations?

Mitzyboy Mar 19th 2013 10:06 pm

Its impossible to say, as we all live in different countries.
However as a general rule I would say that the Costa Blanca North in Spain is a relatively cheap place to live. Certainly in relation to other areas I have travelled to in Spain it is certainly a low cost option

Mgeorgop Mar 21st 2013 1:53 pm

You might want to take a look at the South West Peloponnese in Greece. We spend a lot of time in a place called Finikounda and love it. Living expenses are not tremendous - you should be able to rent a house for about E5,6,000 a year. Beaches are great food is yummy!

gioppino Mar 22nd 2013 10:31 am

I'm originally from Southern Italy. There are some wonderful locations in Calabria or Sicily where you can live for little and you can buy a decent flat for as little as £20k. Trouble is you need to know somebody who can advise you exactly where to live, as some areas can be dodgy and you could be targeted by the racketeering mafia just for being a foreigner. The risk is minimal but it is there.

If you do your homework well, you could strike a good bargain. There's plenty of airports there.

nunes1991 Mar 24th 2013 11:28 pm

Seems that the were viewing describe Portugal: D Country with the best climate in Europe, the locale where vivo has 300 days of sunshine per year, is an EU country what gives you all perks of a European citizen, and has good beaches sought by many British tourists all years.

This country has the lowest costs of living in europe, the national minimum wage is 500 € per month, I believe that with an income of € 1,500 you could get a superb quality of life, with a nice house and a pretty good life for European standards.

I am available to give more information

Regards

Sofia citizen Mar 25th 2013 8:46 am

Low - cost country with seaside and summer - definitely Bulgaria. You can fit in 500 EUR expenditures per month. Actually, most of the local people live with half of this.

Jon-Bxl Mar 27th 2013 9:58 am

Originally Posted by nunes1991 (Post 10621821)
Seems that the were viewing describe Portugal: D Country with the best climate in Europe, the locale where vivo has 300 days of sunshine per year, is an EU country what gives you all perks of a European citizen, and has good beaches sought by many British tourists all years.

This country has the lowest costs of living in europe, the national minimum wage is 500 € per month, I believe that with an income of € 1,500 you could get a superb quality of life, with a nice house and a pretty good life for European standards.

I am available to give more information

Regards

Agree.... we have a place in Ayamonte Spain right on the Portuguese border, so 2 cultures, great prices etc etc...... This is the eastern Algarve... western algarve more expensive and more British exaps.

Spanish property prices are amazing for buyers.... and you have Portugal as well on the doorstep. Have a look

Take a look also at the Alentejo coast as well....

Bulgaria is worth looking at - I dont have any real experience there but the black sea appartments are cheap! Turkey have some great deals as well.

I plan to check out Malta in 2013 as well as it looks interesting...

Jon

nunes1991 Mar 27th 2013 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 10626295)
Agree.... we have a place in Ayamonte Spain right on the Portuguese border, so 2 cultures, great prices etc etc...... This is the eastern Algarve... western algarve more expensive and more British exaps.

Spanish property prices are amazing for buyers.... and you have Portugal as well on the doorstep. Have a look

Take a look also at the Alentejo coast as well....

Bulgaria is worth looking at - I dont have any real experience there but the black sea appartments are cheap! Turkey have some great deals as well.

I plan to check out Malta in 2013 as well as it looks interesting...

Jon

Most british only knows the Algarve in Portugal, there are other equally or more beautiful region, the interior central and northern Portugal has something magical.

I forgot to mention that the price of homes in these regions is much lower, there are excellent opportunities to recover mansions for tourism at low cost.

Nature tourism and away from the seasonality of the algarve has increasingly demand.
(SNIP)

Regards

britishbull Mar 29th 2013 10:12 am

You might get a shock at how money-grabbing the euro countries have got with regards taxing overseas income (whereas a lot of Asia countries only tax money you actually bring into the country - if that!), assuming you have an income coming in from somewhere outside of where you want to live.

Ray51 Mar 31st 2013 9:54 am

Bulgaria , Rumania , Hungary....?
Just how Low does one go ? Live amongst such savages , for a fistful of squids "saved" ?
NOT ME !
And with NIL guarantee that recent Cyprus 14-days' Bank Hols + subsequent daylight robbery won't occure wherever one looks next ?

Jon-Bxl Mar 31st 2013 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Ray51 (Post 10633131)
Bulgaria , Rumania , Hungary....?
Just how Low does one go ? Live amongst such savages , for a fistful of squids "saved" ?
NOT ME !
And with NIL guarantee that recent Cyprus 14-days' Bank Hols + subsequent daylight robbery won't occure wherever one looks next ?

Hi Ray

See you around Brussels sometime.... we live there as well!

Jon

mikelincs Mar 31st 2013 10:24 am

I suspect the OP needs a very good internet connection given his line of work, and I'm afraid that a reliable, quick internet connection is unlikely to be available where rents are cheap. UK has speeds of well over 30 mbps, however rents aren't cheap, Spain has speeds of, if you are lucky, 5 - 10 mbps in the higher rent areas, and less than 5 if you go for cheap, not sure of places like the former eastern european countries where rents can be cheap, but in the EU all countries will want you to pay tax on your worldwide income. So I'm afraid it comes down to, want cheap and good internet, forget it.

Jon-Bxl Apr 1st 2013 6:24 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10633154)
I suspect the OP needs a very good internet connection given his line of work, and I'm afraid that a reliable, quick internet connection is unlikely to be available where rents are cheap. UK has speeds of well over 30 mbps, however rents aren't cheap, Spain has speeds of, if you are lucky, 5 - 10 mbps in the higher rent areas, and less than 5 if you go for cheap, not sure of places like the former eastern european countries where rents can be cheap, but in the EU all countries will want you to pay tax on your worldwide income. So I'm afraid it comes down to, want cheap and good internet, forget it.

Portugal mentioned above has 4G... http://www.tmn.pt/4g/ We are in Ayamonte, Spain right on the border and use TMN as the signal crosses over. They have a great 3G service. Which for our usage is the best I've seen in Europe.

James, OP, would need a much better service as it is his job, but may find TMN has what he needs. There are many beautiful areas of Portugal and great prices too. Though property prices in Spain have seen the biggest drop.
Jon