British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   LOBBY YOUR EMBASSY! If you feel being part of the European Union is important to yo (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/lobby-your-embassy-if-you-feel-being-part-european-union-important-yo-863925/)

GeniB Aug 24th 2015 7:48 am

LOBBY YOUR EMBASSY! If you feel being part of the European Union is important to yo

Well as shown on my previous post.Not many British Ex pats on this Forum feel that this issue affects them now ,!or will affect them in the future

Could be any number of reasons. It's a weird phenomenon of Forums that whilst hundreds will take the trouble to join one.From selecting their avatar to their anonymous forum name . Only a very small handful will actually participate in the debates!

I am hoping however that some of those watching from the sidelines are n fact concerned enough about their position as an ex-pat to show it.by lobbying their Embassy! Ask some uncomfortable questions.Now we have been disenfranchised it's al we can do..Thanks for listening

p.s it should be YOU. not YO at the end of the title ..

mikelincs Aug 24th 2015 7:54 am

Re: LOBBY YOUR EMBASSY! If you feel being part of the European Union is important t

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11731225)
Well as shown on my previous post.Not many British Ex pats on this Forum feel that this issue affects them now ,!or will affect them in the future

Could be any number of reasons. It's a weird phenomenon of Forums that whilst hundreds will take the trouble to join one.From selecting their avatar to their anonymous forum name . Only a very small handful will actually participate in the debates!

I am hoping however that some of those watching from the sidelines are n fact concerned enough about their position as an ex-pat to show it.by lobbying their Embassy! Ask some uncomfortable questions.Now we have been disenfranchised it's al we can do..Thanks for listening

I suspect that all you will get is a form response that says that the decisions are down to the Westminster government, which they are, and that your concerns will be forwarded, likely to an auto destruct part of the government siie. I see this as 'flogging a dead horse' the decision has been made and even if, and they never will, all disenfranchised expats contact them. The number of expats who have been abroad more than 15 years is likely to be much less than the figure you quote, so, in essence a very small minority.

GeniB Aug 24th 2015 8:04 am

Re: LOBBY YOUR EMBASSY! If you feel being part of the European Union is important t

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11731228)
I suspect that all you will get is a form response that says that the decisions are down to the Westminster government, which they are, and that your concerns will be forwarded, likely to an auto destruct part of the government siie. I see this as 'flogging a dead horse' the decision has been made and even if, and they never will, all disenfranchised expats contact them. The number of expats who have been abroad more than 15 years is likely to be much less than the figure you quote, so, in essence a very small minority.

Sadly I suspect you are right:( However sometimes even the smallest protest can grow into a larger one. Governments,Dictatorships etc rely on our passivity.I so admired Graham Richards for not just taking it at face value.but fighting back The no's of ex pats bandied about by a Government with zero interest. in us ? He claimed that there were 2.1 million out there with the right to vote (out of 5.5 million) I tend to believe him.We should have a voice.We should be outraged that Gibraltarians have,but not us.?We should realise how vulnerable we actually are.

amideislas Aug 24th 2015 8:43 am

I completely agree that expats should have the right to vote. Particularly expats, and particularly on this issue.

But I equally won't be phased by any insupportable scare mongering tactics which suggest that somehow expats will be stripped of all rights and possibly deported.

Britain's membership of the EU should be decided on what's best for Britain, not pie-in-the-sky idealism, nor the predictable scaremongering propaganda to support those arguments.

In this round, I seriously doubt there will be an overwhelming vote in favour of leaving (the EU). But I do expect further independence from EU control. After all, Britain really won't ever have much influence until it adopts the Euro (and that's not happening any time soon, if ever). So, why should the UK be subject to such invasive influence from Brussels?

GeniB Aug 24th 2015 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11731242)
I completely agree that expats should have the right to vote. Particularly expats, and particularly on this issue.

But I equally won't be phased by any insupportable scare mongering tactics which suggest that somehow expats will be stripped of all rights and possibly deported.

Britain's membership of the EU should be decided on what's best for Britain, not pie-in-the-sky idealism, nor the predictable scaremongering propaganda to support those arguments.

In this round, I seriously doubt there will be an overwhelming vote in favour of leaving (the EU). But I do expect further independence from EU control. After all, Britain really won't ever have much influence until it adopts the Euro (and that's not happening any time soon, if ever). So, why should the UK be subject to such invasive influence from Brussels?

Thats the whole problem with British membership of the EU Amideislas.They are neither in it,or out of it. If you join a club your expected to take part,not only by abiding by the rules,but help to grow the club make it better ,make it work. Change those rules if necessary along the way. or leave.! That after joining the club,Britain chose to sit on the fence and heckle from the sidelines has been a great pity.a great waste in my opinion. When they could have been in a position of leadership and power. However that was not to be ,many of us meanwhile made life changing decisions based on that membership and during a time in which those rules applied.We should be allowed a say in a vote that could end all that to our detriment

amideislas Aug 24th 2015 7:59 pm

Then Britain will have to adopt the currency of the EU, the Euro, or else it will always be an outsider with little influence.

Even then, Britain will lose all economic independence, and Frankfurt will become the new London. And somehow, I just don't see that happening in Britain's future.

BritInParis Aug 24th 2015 10:29 pm

Don't waste your time. You won't get a response; it'll just go straight into the shredder.

GeniB Aug 25th 2015 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11731905)
Don't waste your time. You won't get a response; it'll just go straight into the shredder.

Actually sent my protest yesterday Brit...and um..got s response:thumbsup:

I am not expecting anything to come of it of course..but then..If we all continue 'not doing anything' we deserve to be ignored.Democracy isn't a birth right.you have to fight for it.My Grandmother had to fight to get me a vote.I am not going to roll over and forget that effort of hers now :thumbup:

BritInParis Aug 25th 2015 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 11732565)
Actually sent my protest yesterday Brit...and um..got s response:thumbsup:

I am not expecting anything to come of it of course..but then..If we all continue 'not doing anything' we deserve to be ignored.Democracy isn't a birth right.you have to fight for it.My Grandmother had to fight to get me a vote.I am not going to roll over and forget that effort of hers now :thumbup:

To whom did you send it and what was the reply?

GeniB Aug 25th 2015 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11732674)
To whom did you send it and what was the reply?

I wrote to the British Embassy In Lisbon. The reply came back from the British Consul's office. I was advised that they had received it and also advised of the matters they were qualified to deal with etc,but also given the email address for inquiries into Govt policies etc.

.As I said I am not expecting very much from this.but my protest ia at least registored. and I will send my letter on to the Govt address given.

Chatter Static Aug 25th 2015 9:35 pm

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Acme_anvil.gif

Chatter Static Aug 25th 2015 9:36 pm

http://madefreshly.com/blog/wp-conte...lie-coyote.jpg

GeniB Aug 26th 2015 12:03 pm

You seem to be a troll chatter ?

Chatter Static Aug 26th 2015 6:49 pm

Not especially ... Honestly lobbying an Embassy will just get you zero results...

GeniB Aug 26th 2015 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Chatter Static (Post 11733656)
Not especially ... Honestly lobbying an Embassy will just get you zero results...

So your contribution was? what exactly?:unsure: