British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Living in Tenerife pros and cons (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/living-tenerife-pros-cons-799372/)

Rach1e Jun 7th 2013 6:36 am

Living in Tenerife pros and cons

We are looking to move abroad.

How is Tenerife is there opportunity for business there? Are the schools good my son is 14!! Where are the nice residential areas? We want to rent first to find our feet.

Any advise would be gratefully received!

Domino Jun 11th 2013 9:44 am

Re: Living in Tenerife pros and cons

Originally Posted by Rach1e (Post 10745098)

How is Tenerife is there opportunity for business there? Are the schools good my son is 14!! Where are the nice residential areas? We want to rent first to find our feet.

why not visit and get the answers ?
any particular reason for choosing a remote island in the Atlantic ?
(albeit the largest and most populous island of the seven Canary Islands)
what sort of business ? on my last visit they seemed to have most things covered, and they are not immune to the 30%+ unemployment rate of Spain.

and 14 isnt a good age to drag your son out of school, he will probably bomb any exams and want to kill you for pulling him away from all his mates

Perhaps a mod will come along and post this in the Spain forum.

Rach1e Jun 11th 2013 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 10751239)
why not visit and get the answers ?
any particular reason for choosing a remote island in the Atlantic ?
(albeit the largest and most populous island of the seven Canary Islands)
what sort of business ? on my last visit they seemed to have most things covered, and they are not immune to the 30%+ unemployment rate of Spain.

and 14 isnt a good age to drag your son out of school, he will probably bomb any exams and want to kill you for pulling him away from all his mates

Perhaps a mod will come along and post this in the Spain forum.

Yes thanks for that most unhelpful response why bother stating the obvious!! Anyway more productive answers please!!!

Domino Jun 11th 2013 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Rach1e (Post 10751412)
Yes thanks for that most unhelpful response why bother stating the obvious!! Anyway more productive answers please!!!

sorry you don't like the response.
Actually, no I am not sorry. if you don't like the message that isn't my problem and if you already know it all then why bother posting ?

I hope you enjoy your fact finding tour, remember to turn left as you come out of the terminal.

;)

dmu Jun 12th 2013 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Rach1e (Post 10745098)

Hi, I saw you had also posted on the Portugal forum and that you were hoping to open a barber's or fish & chip shop.
Maybe you should post again on the Spain forum, giving ALL your details.
I agree with the above that 14 is not a good age to be thrown in at the deep end in a foreign secondary school, even if your son might speak the relevant language. (Does he speak Portuguese or Spanish?). Adolescents have problems at the best of times and, with no friends and other family to confide in, he'd be very unhappy.:blink:

me me Jun 12th 2013 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 10753603)
Hi, I saw you had also posted on the Portugal forum and that you were hoping to open a barber's or fish & chip shop.
Maybe you should post again on the Spain forum, giving ALL your details.
I agree with the above that 14 is not a good age to be thrown in at the deep end in a foreign secondary school, even if your son might speak the relevant language. (Does he speak Portuguese or Spanish?). Adolescents have problems at the best of times and, with no friends and other family to confide in, he'd be very unhappy.:blink:

Why not combine the two, that could be a winner, it could be called THE FISH AND CHOP SHOP.

Dick Dasterdly Jun 16th 2013 5:47 am

Originally Posted by me me (Post 10753632)
Why not combine the two, that could be a winner, it could be called THE FISH AND CHOP SHOP.

Ugh, I prefer salt and vinegar on my fish and chips not a load of lousy old hair and barbers trimmings.
Yuk what a disgusting idea.

Chickpea Aug 30th 2013 12:06 am

Well, do you speak Spanish? I live in the capital, Santa Cruz and in order to live and work here a good working knowledge of Spanish is important. ( That is if you choose to live in the capital)
However, there are many other areas you could live and work in: the south of the island, los cristianos & las americas. They are popular places to live and plenty of English people live comfortably there. You dont even have to learn the language as everyone speaks English. Though it is important to keep in mind that´s where all the tourists gather as it´s sunny there all year round.

Another possible location is Puerto de la cruz, it´s in the north and a very beautiful place to live. Many people speak English however I would definitely enrol in some Spanish classes in order to get by.

As for your son, there are plenty of private English schools on the island, lots in the south as well as the north. You just have to decide if the price is right for you. They can cost between 300-500 euros a month and some schools even teach the GCSE syllabus.

Good luck!

pantich77 Sep 19th 2013 10:34 am

Employers here pay poor money because, well, they can :D ! And the demand for jobs is so high as many are out of work. 1200 euros per month is a VERY GOOD Tenerife wage.