British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Living in the Balkans (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/living-balkans-645056/)

justjeff4 Dec 16th 2009 12:44 pm

Living in the Balkans

Hello, I'm Jeff4 - have lived mainly in the Balkans for many years now - know much about Balkan countries exept Serbia and Monte Negro - The best way to find long term rented accommodation is by word of mouth rather than through an agency - hence I am trying to find a contact in Monte Negro, preferably in or near Podgorica. I am happy to answer any questions about the Balkan countries - have lived in Slovenija, Croatia, Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania, Greece, Albania and Macedonia. The listed retirement havens gives Croatia as the first European recommendation but it is very expensive there both for renting and for shopping - there is very limited availability in the shops too. It gets very cold and especially damp. The people in the north-west of the country are down-right rude and unfriendly, but there are some pleasant areas too but beware, there is a great deal of fraud and danger! I met a lady in Dubrovnic whom I regarded as my guardian angel - she was reliable and most friendly and helpful too. My colleague is a martial arts expert and he received threats and warnings so he had to leave the country.I can be contacted at(SNIP) I should be pleased to hear from you - warning - I am an old man now!

Ray51 Dec 19th 2009 8:53 am

Re: Living in the Balkans

Originally Posted by justjeff4 (Post 8177141)
The listed retirement havens gives Croatia as the first European recommendation but it is very expensive there both for renting and for shopping - there is very limited availability in the shops too. It gets very cold and especially damp. The people in the north-west of the country are down-right rude and unfriendly, but there are some pleasant areas too but beware, there is a great deal of fraud and danger! I met a lady in Dubrovnic whom I regarded as my guardian angel - she was reliable and most friendly and helpful too. My colleague is a martial arts expert and he received threats and warnings so he had to leave the country.(SNIP)
I should be pleased to hear from you - warning - I am an old man now!

Interesting ! Well , the Croats won't thank you for your report on Cost of Living , goods' assortment , unfriendlyness , fraud and other dangers - and you haven't even mentioned the incredible bureaucracy...
...still , there's a good number of British ( and some Dutch , German , Belgian and other ) living there , some in the NW , the others along the coast ;
some are retired , the others struggling to be allowed to remain there and/or to make it viable , mostly as self-employed/liitle businesses ;
- is there a method in their madness , makes one wonder ?
There is also a longer-standing colony of Brits in Slovena , mostly in Prekomurje region and Ljubljana - the shopping there is better , as are medical arrangements , still : maniacally risky driving is the order of the day .
Taking into accounts all the expats busy with Bulgaria and Hungary , plus yourself ( and a few other BE-members ) in Montenegro : who's to say , where is it better or worse , these days ( and : why ) ?

justjeff4 Jan 12th 2010 11:43 am

Thank you Ray 51 - I am still suffering in Portugal - today we seem to have a monsoon! I like Ljubjiana but it is so expensive there. I paid a high price for a nouveau cuisine meal which was awful. On the other hand at a village just outside the capital, the soup was the best I had ever encountered. There is something of the Austrian Tyrol atmosphere there which is great. Finding reasonable accommodation except the youth hostel in the summer, is impossible. From Portugal it seems that the cheapest air fare is to Monte Negro, the supposedly most beautiful country in Europe. I could find a furnished flat at 100 euros a month in Macedonia but I would only want to live in Ohrid where it is impossible to remain in the summer as rentals rise to an obscene level. Macedonia is nearer to us than Monte Negro but the cost of air travel is triple that of Monte Negro. A colleague of mine has a dentist from Monte Negro who tells him never to go there as it is very dangerous. What country is safe these days? If it's not terrorism it's natural disasters. My eldest son lives in Thailand but the culture shock there is far too great for me at my age. I am desperate for a caring friend.

Ray51 Jan 12th 2010 4:56 pm

Who wouldn't like a caring friend ?
On your other points , about FYRM , Crna Gora , Portugal etc , I really could not offer any helpful comments , sorry !
Good Luck anyway !

justjeff4 Jan 15th 2010 1:36 pm

Living here in Portugal is like living in the stone age - we have been without water since before Christmas - make a complaint and they take it out of you in other ways. I am desperate to get away - but to where? Not keen on moving to an area that is subject to natural disasters. It is not terribly cold here but it is extremely damp. If I could afford it I would live in Austria - I expect there are other places, but where? The problem with the Balkan countries is the lack of medical facilities. I am not keen on having to exit the country every 3 months in countries that are not EU members. I have friends in the Philippines and Thailand, both countries full of natural disasters and a huge culture shock - I cannot afford to travel that far anyway. I found that the language in Greece was not difficult it was just impossible. What sort of a nation has the word 'ne' to mean yes?:confused:
I found it acceptable that a nod in Albania is no and a shake of the head is yes. Have they organised running water there yet? In the Balkans, accommodation is best found by word of mouth rather than an agent. I must be grateful for my lot when I think of the poor Haitians. Anyone with practical ideas?

justjeff4 Feb 9th 2010 1:53 pm

Nikolaj seems to have sent a post that was deleted as it did not comply with the rules!
However, I am still trying to find if it is worth my while moving to Monte Negro after easter. Anyone with help or advice, please contact me by email at '[email protected]':confused:

mia-mia Feb 26th 2010 10:04 am

Hi
I wonder what is your impression of Slovenia?
I & my OH were planning to go to live in Spain but I have doubts wether it is a right country for us,ie too many other Northern Europeans, overdeveloped Costas, possibility of losing your house at a blink of a eye etc.

Im planning to visit Slovenia some time this year, probably in September and reading latest Slovenia Lonely Planet now however would love to hear from someone who lived there.
Ta

justjeff4 Feb 26th 2010 10:35 am

H ello Mia mia - yes I lived in Slovenia for a while - very beautiful - people are friendly and co-operative but accommodation is not plentiful, neither is it cheap. It is a very clean country and the food is good too. Ljublijiana is very pleasant all-round. It is possible that the youth hostel will be open and available in early September. If you like swimming, there are good pools and the park in Lj. is also very pleasant. Altogether, thoroughly recommended. The locals go to Austria and Italy to buy their food as it is cheaper there. I personally love Austria above everywhere..

Ray51 Feb 26th 2010 8:22 pm

Actually , food shopping in Slovenia nowadays is both excellent and very affordable .
otherwise : lovely places , pity about the taxation , accommodation and other hassles ...
I thoroughly recommend it , IF you can manage the above pitfalls ,
cheerz !

mia-mia Feb 28th 2010 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ray51 (Post 8378080)
pity about the taxation , accommodation

Mm.. By accomodation pitfall do you mean value for money, something else?
What are the unpleasant specifics of Slovenian tax system?

mia-mia Feb 28th 2010 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by justjeff4 (Post 8376954)
H ello Mia mia - yes I lived in Slovenia for a while - very beautiful - people are friendly and co-operative but accommodation is not plentiful, neither is it cheap.

Do you mean rental/holiday accommodation?
Thanks!

Ray51 Feb 28th 2010 1:16 pm

Most accommodation , IMHO !

mia-mia Mar 1st 2010 5:06 pm

Looks like I d have to build my own house.
Watch me on Grand Designs in a couple of years!:thumbsup:

Rural Bulgaria Mar 8th 2010 8:00 am

Originally Posted by mia-mia (Post 8384714)
Looks like I d have to build my own house.
Watch me on Grand Designs in a couple of years!:thumbsup:

I have lived in central Bulgaria for around 3 or 4 years. I now split my time between France and Bulgaria and have a couple of places for long term rental, cheap rent in return for some property maintenance and gardening help. Not too much to do and during summer months when everything growing I will be there to help out anyway. If anyone interested or wants to know more about Bulgaria let me know.

justjeff4 Mar 8th 2010 10:37 am

Dear Travelbug - please email me at '[email protected]' - I am interested in renting your flat.(If it's not too big)