British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   leaving uk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/leaving-uk-209249/)

sea Feb 10th 2004 5:06 pm

leaving uk

has anybody moved abroad and regretted it, or has been the best thing that they have ever done, if so, why? need some pros and cons, seriously considering it myself.

jdr Feb 10th 2004 6:57 pm

You wont know until you try it yourself......people will say yay and nay......but they ain`t you.

Go for it...:cool: :cool: :beer:

sibsie Feb 10th 2004 7:13 pm

I moved to Spain and regret it. I meet people here who love it and people who don't. I did make a nice sum on the house here so I can't complain too much. Wait. Capital gains tax! Of course I can complain. :D

ESMCCa Feb 11th 2004 7:07 am

Re: leaving uk

Originally posted by sea
has anybody moved abroad and regretted it, or has been the best thing that they have ever done, if so, why? need some pros and cons, seriously considering it myself.

Hi Sea, we're planning to go next year to Mallorca, we had been researching the USA for 5 years though. As neither of us have a degree it appears virtually impossible so we have reconsidered our plan! Where had you considered heading to? Have you been there before? Consider how much you know about where you are going and educate yourself.

din Feb 11th 2004 10:26 am

Originally posted by sea
Hi,
I moved to Ireland for a year, then back to Germany, then to Australia for two years, then back to Ireland for now, and I don't regret a thing! It's exciting to go somewhere with the intention of staying and not being a tourist, to adapt to the lifestyle, to find out little things about different cultures, to try and deal with all the formalities like taxes and the system in general...
Of course you will experience bad times (like when Australia kicked me out for stuffing up my visa (their fault) I wasnt exactly happy, but then you simply get your act together and move on to new adventures...!)

Just give it a shot and see how you go! You can always return if it wasn't what you wanted...Remember, you can never lose, just win!

Best of luck

Nadine

sea Feb 11th 2004 12:42 pm

Originally posted by ESMCCa
Hi Sea, we're planning to go next year to Mallorca, we had been researching the USA for 5 years though. As neither of us have a degree it appears virtually impossible so we have reconsidered our plan! Where had you considered heading to? Have you been there before? Consider how much you know about where you are going and educate yourself.
Hi, i'm thinking of going to tenerife, already know somebody that is going out this month so that will help. Its gonna be a big step as i'm on my own with two children and not sure what schools are like out there, i've got to look into that. Not been to that particular island but have been to grand canaria and going to lanzerote soon so a chance to get a feel of things.

sea Feb 11th 2004 12:44 pm

Originally posted by sibsie
I moved to Spain and regret it. I meet people here who love it and people who don't. I did make a nice sum on the house here so I can't complain too much. Wait. Capital gains tax! Of course I can complain. :D
Hi, why do you regret moving there?

sibsie Feb 11th 2004 10:06 pm

I miss working. There are jobs out here but in real estate and bar work. I tried real estate for a month and left on ethical grounds.

Expat life can get bitchy and very very gossipy. There are too many people with too much time on their hands.

Sitting round the pool drinking G&T's gets old pretty fast.

I don't like the high crime rate. I've lived in London and DC and not had the problems there that I've had here. I live in a pretty "Spanish" area and have noticed increasing anti foreigner feelings. It's understandable but doesn't help things.

The infrastructure is sadly lacking. I get fed up with power cuts and water going off all the time. The way I describe Spain is in two ways. The first is that I knew where the 1st world was, I knew where the 3rd world was but had no idea where the 2nd world was. No I do. It's here.

The other way I describe Spain is as "annoying".

I think I just moved here far too young. I'm at the age where I still want to do things with my life and being in Spain just wasn't for me.

sea Feb 11th 2004 11:12 pm

Originally posted by sibsie
I miss working. There are jobs out here but in real estate and bar work. I tried real estate for a month and left on ethical grounds.

Expat life can get bitchy and very very gossipy. There are too many people with too much time on their hands.

Sitting round the pool drinking G&T's gets old pretty fast.

I don't like the high crime rate. I've lived in London and DC and not had the problems there that I've had here. I live in a pretty "Spanish" area and have noticed increasing anti foreigner feelings. It's understandable but doesn't help things.

The infrastructure is sadly lacking. I get fed up with power cuts and water going off all the time. The way I describe Spain is in two ways. The first is that I knew where the 1st world was, I knew where the 3rd world was but had no idea where the 2nd world was. No I do. It's here.

The other way I describe Spain is as "annoying".

I think I just moved here far too young. I'm at the age where I still want to do things with my life and being in Spain just wasn't for me.
thats a shame but i suppose there are other countries, i'm thinking of tenerife, i no its spanish but hoping its got a bit more than here. Big step cus i'm on my own with two kids but am just looking for something totally different and a new start.

sea Feb 11th 2004 11:16 pm

Originally posted by jdr
You wont know until you try it yourself......people will say yay and nay......but they ain`t you.

Go for it...:cool: :cool: :beer:
\thanks for that, just a bit hesitant having two kids, need to find out what schooling is like out there.

sea Feb 11th 2004 11:20 pm

Originally posted by din
Hi,
I moved to Ireland for a year, then back to Germany, then to Australia for two years, then back to Ireland for now, and I don't regret a thing! It's exciting to go somewhere with the intention of staying and not being a tourist, to adapt to the lifestyle, to find out little things about different cultures, to try and deal with all the formalities like taxes and the system in general...
Of course you will experience bad times (like when Australia kicked me out for stuffing up my visa (their fault) I wasnt exactly happy, but then you simply get your act together and move on to new adventures...!)

Just give it a shot and see how you go! You can always return if it wasn't what you wanted...Remember, you can never lose, just win!

Best of luck

Nadine
Thanks, really tempted at moment, still young enough to enjoy it and yes I did think if it doesn't work I can always come back. sometimes it pays to take risks in life.

ESMCCa Feb 12th 2004 12:43 pm

Originally posted by sea
Thanks, really tempted at moment, still young enough to enjoy it and yes I did think if it doesn't work I can always come back. sometimes it pays to take risks in life.
We have decided that we want to move after our baby is born, and so in preparation begin Spanish lessons (with a Spanish-born teacher) on Monday, that way we can inegrate as much as possible before we go.

You're right, we all have to just take a deep breath and jump off the edge sometimes and see where it gets us! We can always climb back up if we need to.

paddythepilot Feb 12th 2004 1:18 pm

Originally posted by sea

I moved to Kenya, then Hong Kong, then Australia, then back to the UK and now back to Hong Kong.......phew!

It took me about 16 years to all of this of course........but I just love it!

Frankly, give it a try, living abroad is just the best thing you can do. You will grow with the experience and learn much about yourself!

The only serious complications come if you have children, but even this can be overcome.

Where do you plan to move to?

Good luck!

sea Feb 12th 2004 5:19 pm

Originally posted by paddythepilot
I moved to Kenya, then Hong Kong, then Australia, then back to the UK and now back to Hong Kong.......phew!

It took me about 16 years to all of this of course........but I just love it!

Frankly, give it a try, living abroad is just the best thing you can do. You will grow with the experience and learn much about yourself!

The only serious complications come if you have children, but even this can be overcome.

Where do you plan to move to?

Good luck!
i am thinking about tenerife, i do have two children and am also on my own so its going to be a huge step. I have got to look at the schools first to see what they are like, it just needs a lot og thinking and talking about first.

Pulaski Feb 15th 2004 3:42 am

Originally posted by sea
.... need some pros and cons, seriously considering it myself.
It depends really on your outlook on life, food, friends, and family.

Many of the people who complain about life when they move overseas focus on the food being different (they can't get this, that of the other), or being a long way from friends and family. If you can sort these two things out in your own mind then you've won half the battle in being happy living overseas. :)

I live in the US, and moving here was one of the best things I have ever done, after marrying my wife, of course. :)