Reload this Page >

Learn the language or not?

Learn the language or not?

Old Jul 3rd 2007, 11:38 am
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learn the language or not?

What kind of experiences have people on this forum had on learning the language of their new home-country? Has it been difficult to motivate oneself to learn the language because almost everywhere the natives want to practice their English and won´t let you speak their language.

After all, without being able to speak the language of the country, one may become socially very isolated in a foreign country even though everyone is eager to speak English to you. Of course, it is impossible to find a good job if one does not speak the language of the country. Not everyone can be an English-teacher.

However, in countries such as Holland or Sweden it may be frustrating to even try to speak their language because they speak English so much better than you could ever learn to speak their language. Another point is that some languages are also grammatically very complex and difficult to learn.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Learn the language or not?

I think if you are going to all the trouble to move countries, you should at least learn the language. It's rude if you don't.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 8:36 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

When I came to Spain last October my main aim was to learn Spanish as a priority. However when you get here there is son much else going on that you tend to get side tracked. So I have picked up everyday language to get me by in shops etc etc. Only now have I finally managed to start seriously learning on a daily basis, and judging by my experiences over the last 9 months I would urge anyone to make a real effort to learn the language of their chosen new home. If you don't you will find doing the simplest of things more stressful, and also you miss out on such a lot.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:23 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in countries all over Europe and never bothered to learn anything other than the very basic of things.

I can't describe how much I regret that.

Learn the language and don't be as ignorant as I was, is my advice.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

ColinS is an unknown quantity at this point

depending on your free time, you should always consider learning a little bit of the local language
Old Jul 21st 2007, 3:35 pm

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Learn the language,you have to give it your best.Lived n Germany for 4 yrs,and now live in France.Did not know either language but started from scratch and just kept trying,its really funny making all the mistakes and I do believe that as long as you try your best, people are really helpful.I have had the best laughs with pronounciation mix ups, and end up saying the complete wrong thing.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I hate about not knowing the language is simple things like when you're driving is the radio telling you all about a huge traffic jam and you don't have a clue what they're talking about

It happened to me, and all my colleagues were laughing at my ability to get stuck in a 5hr jam when i could have easily taken another route
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:28 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

It's not very encouraging when you make an attempt to speak the language of your chosen country only to be met by a blank stare and a shrug of the shoulders. Then someone kindly explains what you are trying to say - and it sounds just the same as you said :curse:
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
It's not very encouraging when you make an attempt to speak the language of your chosen country only to be met by a blank stare and a shrug of the shoulders. Then someone kindly explains what you are trying to say - and it sounds just the same as you said :curse:
Sometimes it's just the accent, heck I have problems speaking English in the USA
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

davesmithsrm is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lionda
This made me laugh as i know exactly what you mean.

the other day i ordered a groot pizza roma (nothing hard, a large pizza with ham,mushroom and artichoke) it took 3 attempts to say it, then the guy said ... ahhh groot pizza roma.

It sounded exactly the same as what i had asked for 3 times ...

However, upon passing the pizza and change, he said "thank you, come again" so i wonder if he was just taking the rip
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:51 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2702
Sometimes it's just the accent, heck I have problems speaking English in the USA
Originally Posted by davesmithsrm

the other day i ordered a groot pizza roma (nothing hard, a large pizza with ham,mushroom and artichoke) it took 3 attempts to say it, then the guy said ... ahhh groot pizza roma.

However, upon passing the pizza and change, he said "thank you, come again" so i wonder if he was just taking the rip
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:49 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davesmithsrm

Now you're taking the rip! You've nicked my avatar!!

Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derbyflan

Well they must have at least 2 fans. ;-))
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:52 pm
ex-squaddie

Originally Posted by jdr
Well they must have at least 2 fans. ;-))

Oi!

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

davesmithsrm is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by derbyflan

lol - actually, if you notice, my avatar has a box around it, whereas your avatar does not.

I cant wait for the first live TV game, i dont think they had a derby fan in the bar in leuven before it is all "pretend" chelsea, l'pool and manu fans.