Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Language is the only barrier

Language is the only barrier

Old Oct 7th 2008, 3:27 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language is the only barrier

Me again! Go onto www.assistante-maternelle.biz and click on "Devenir Assistante Maternelle" to give you an idea of what conditions you'd have to comply with when the Inspector calls to check on you. The "Conseil Général" is the Departmental Council that you'd have to apply to first to get the initial application papers. I couldn't find a site giving equivalences of Diplomas in your field. There may be a thread about it on the French Forum but I do know that, despite Europe, not all British Diplomas are accepted in France.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 3:56 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dmu
Sorry to butt in your conversation but I discovered it quite by chance when zapping in the Europe section. I've been following the thread you started in the French section, which went off into a variety of tangents...
Hasn't your OH asked Michelin NI about a transfer yet? That seems to be the most important thing to do before you make a decision about France. I'm sorry to continue being a wet blanket, but it won't be as easy as that to work in child care here. Check first that your diploma is accepted in France and be aware that child care training is a very popular career choice here and a fluent French speaker would take priority on the employment front. Meanwhile, before even starting to look for a job, you'd have to organize care for your two youngest and you can't realistically expect your local crêche to have room for them the minute you arrive. Likewise you can't set up private child-care at home in France, just like that. There are strict rules and regulations to follow...
If you've got Satellite TV, watch the French news to see all the discontent that there is in France, or failing that, buy a Figaro or Le Monde. Life isn't at all rosy over here....
P.S. I've been here since 1970 and so long out of the UK except for short visits, that I can't really appreciate what it's like to live there.

You are a big killjoyjust let them talk,it's all like a T.V. program

( Pie in the Sky)
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:12 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stanage2
You are a big killjoyjust let them talk,it's all like a T.V. program

( Pie in the Sky)
I've been too long out of England to know what "Pie in the Sky" is!
I'm just being a Cassandra, to warn about the realities of job-seeking in France when you don't speak the language and have 3 children to bring up....
Fore-warned is fore-armed....
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:33 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dmu
I've been too long out of England to know what "Pie in the Sky" is!
I'm just being a Cassandra, to warn about the realities of job-seeking in France when you don't speak the language and have 3 children to bring up....
Fore-warned is fore-armed....

Would not say one word you wrote is wrong,but will they believe it?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:16 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Would not say one word you wrote is wrong,but will they believe it?
It's their choice, I'm just being the Devil's Advocate....
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Polly B is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks DMU for the link - checked it out as well as other links and sites on qualifications recognised in France. It all depends what area of childcare you want to go in to. If I was childminding at home I`d have my kids there too. From what I read, my diploma and experience would get me passed.

As for "pie in the sky" don`t we all have to start somewhere - just glad we`re keeping you entertained Stan
Old Oct 8th 2008, 6:53 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Polly B
Thanks DMU for the link - checked it out as well as other links and sites on qualifications recognised in France. It all depends what area of childcare you want to go in to. If I was childminding at home I`d have my kids there too. From what I read, my diploma and experience would get me passed.

As for "pie in the sky" don`t we all have to start somewhere - just glad we`re keeping you entertained Stan
Just checked on another site for expectant mothers and found that a registered assistante maternelle minding at home (crêche familiale) can only receive three infants maximum, which means that you'd only be allowed to mind one outsider together with your own children, which would considerably limit your potential income. (Unless you put your 2 year old in your local Ecole Maternelle, which should normally accept her if she's out of nappies). Also you'd best live in or near a town on a mother's way to work, not isolated in a country setting. It's good to dream, but there are so many practical things to take into account before making a decision.....
Old Oct 8th 2008, 7:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dmu
Just checked on another site for expectant mothers and found that a registered assistante maternelle minding at home (crêche familiale) can only receive three infants maximum, which means that you'd only be allowed to mind one outsider together with your own children, which would considerably limit your potential income. (Unless you put your 2 year old in your local Ecole Maternelle, which should normally accept her if she's out of nappies). Also you'd best live in or near a town on a mother's way to work, not isolated in a country setting. It's good to dream, but there are so many practical things to take into account before making a decision.....
If your were just couples i would say, do as you like.But you are not.
When you decide the brink children into the world,things changed.
Then you must put the children first,and make your life round them,and do the best for them.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Polly B is an unknown quantity at this point

That`s always been the plan.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:58 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If your were just couples i would say, do as you like.But you are not.
When you decide the brink children into the world,things changed.
Then you must put the children first,and make your life round them,and do the best for them.
You took the words out of my mouth. I'd say "Go for it" to the OP if they were simply a couple, but they've got 3 young children, and their well-being must come first.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 11:48 am
Ever The Optimist

jen_andy is an unknown quantity at this point

how bad is life over in france for kids out of interest?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 11:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jen_andy

Now been that you ask the question,i think it is as good or bad as the parents make it.and i would think that is the world over.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:03 pm
Ever The Optimist

jen_andy is an unknown quantity at this point

So if a parent were to research the "move" thoroughly,

then make the most of it and grin and bear any inevitable mistakes,

and try and make the most of all situations,

then its not such a bad idea to contemplate moving?

There's a lot of problem solving to be done, and compromises to make,
but surely having 3 kids can't be considered a handicap for a move abroad when the situation lies purely down to how you deal with it and the most you make of any opportunities?

Jen
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:25 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Life is fine if the parents' income is adequate to feed and clothe them with enough left over to cover inevitable expenses, activities, trips to visit the family, etc..... Their quality of life wouldn't be very enviable if the parents had to count their centimes at the end of every month. I mentioned on another post that a frugal couple could survive on the SMIC (minimum guaranteed wage) of about 900 € per month, but without counting rent or mortgage repayment, and 3 children would probably soak up about double that. I may be wrong, but a family income of less than 1800€ per month (with no rent to pay) wouldn't guarantee their well-being.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:37 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So if a parent were to research the "move" thoroughly,

then make the most of it and grin and bear any inevitable mistakes,

and try and make the most of all situations,

then its not such a bad idea to contemplate moving?

There's a lot of problem solving to be done, and compromises to make,
but surely having 3 kids can't be considered a handicap for a move abroad when the situation lies purely down to how you deal with it and the most you make of any opportunities?

Jen
The parents might grin and bear any "inevitable mistakes" but they can't expect their children to if they don't find well-enough paid jobs when they arrive. Sorry to be blunt, but I would call that selfish and irresponsible.
However, I'm just a BE giving advice on the realities of life here. Prospective expats can take it or leave it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.