Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lake stay in Europe. Or Venice.

Lake stay in Europe. Or Venice.

Old May 13th 2015, 1:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lake stay in Europe. Or Venice.

I'm looking at flying into Paris for a few days and also staying in Nice for a few days before flying back home from Nice.

Wondering where to take the family in between

Geographically, Lake Geneva (perhaps staying in Geneva, Nyon or Lausanne) looks a good bet. A nice train journey from Paris, hang around a couple of days, perhaps a boat trip and then move on to Nice.

But it looks pretty expensive to stay - at least triple the cost of staying in Nice for example.

Can anyone suggest an alternative - some other lake, maybe, involving a train from Paris or flight from Paris and then a scenic train to another lake to stay for a day or two before moving onto Nice? Lucerne? Could be one of the Italian lakes.

Or maybe it's feasible/cheaper to stick with Paris/Nice as a base and fly to Geneva (or alternative) staying near a cheaper hotel airport and transferring to Geneva early morning for a day there.

Or just forget the lakes and include Venice, either by stopover or flying day trip if that's feasible.

Or some other venture?

First few days in Paris, last few days in Nice are pretty much fixed. Looking for suggestions in between.
Old May 13th 2015, 5:58 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lake stay in Europe. Or Venice.

I've just been to Malcesine on Lake Garda which is fabulous but I think by train it's not so easy. From Nice you can fly to Venice with Easyjet but not sure it's feasible to do this in a day.
Old May 13th 2015, 11:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I've just been to Malcesine on Lake Garda which is fabulous but I think by train it's not so easy. From Nice you can fly to Venice with Easyjet but not sure it's feasible to do this in a day.
Thanks for the response. I believe you arrive at the airport just in time to fly back!

I've made an interesting discovery since I posted.

Annecy. It looks wonderful and is on a lake.

It's a similar cost to get there by train from Paris as Geneva would be. There's a bus from Annecy to Geneva which isn't too far, so a visit is on the cards.

The cheapest accommodation I found in Geneva (including apartment type) is double that of several options in Annecy. It all seems more central in Annecy too.

Surprisingly I found several options around Venice's Grand Canal half that of Geneva too.

As much as I'd like to do the train from Paris, EasyJet's fares may well be a fair bit cheaper and if that helps stay in both Annecy and Venice that might be the way to go.
Old May 14th 2015, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Thanks for the response. I believe you arrive at the airport just in time to fly back!

I've made an interesting discovery since I posted.

Annecy. It looks wonderful and is on a lake.

It's a similar cost to get there by train from Paris as Geneva would be. There's a bus from Annecy to Geneva which isn't too far, so a visit is on the cards.

The cheapest accommodation I found in Geneva (including apartment type) is double that of several options in Annecy. It all seems more central in Annecy too.

Surprisingly I found several options around Venice's Grand Canal half that of Geneva too.

As much as I'd like to do the train from Paris, EasyJet's fares may well be a fair bit cheaper and if that helps stay in both Annecy and Venice that might be the way to go.
Was just about to suggest Lac d'Annecy. Had a pleasant couple of days there several Easters ago. Definitely have a meal of raclette in one of the traditional eateries. Basilica gives a beautiful view of the city (altho don't visit at night - local "dogging" hangout)

Sorry can't recall much else but it is certainly somewhere I would recommend and hope to return to one day.
Old May 14th 2015, 11:57 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Basilica gives a beautiful view of the city (altho don't visit at night - local "dogging" hangout)
I'll have to keep the mother in law away. That would be an eye opener.
Old May 14th 2015, 2:03 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'll have to keep the mother in law away. That would be an eye opener.
For her or the others?

Annecy is a great place to visit and the lake is beautiful.
Old May 14th 2015, 7:00 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Annecy is a great place to visit and the lake is beautiful.
I'm thinking that by the time the costs of getting to Orly and from Geneva airport to Annecy are added, along with checked baggage cost - plus the time at the airports - that there won't be a huge difference between flying and going by train.

In fact I'm seeing train fares Paris to Annecy for less than Geneva so train might be cheaper and more convenient.
Old May 28th 2015, 1:52 pm
Oscar nominated

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of going by train to Annecy and staying there for 2 or 3 days and taking a day trip to Geneva.

There seems to be enormous variation in EasyJet flight prices to Venice compared to other destinations so I'm not sold on the idea of flying there for an overnighter and then onto Nice rather than just doing Annecy to Nice.

It might add only a little to the budget to take in Venice or it might add in a lot. It could make the difference between a small hotel in a back street near Nice station or a better one near the front.

Or is there some other suggestion for something between Annecy and Nice?
Old Sep 6th 2015, 1:31 pm
Oscar nominated

Just discovered mother in law has a family connection with Germany (her grandmother was interred in the war) so we might call in.

I always enjoyed German xmas markets and I'm pretty sure she'd like that too. It would mean a late November trip, though, rather than Sept/Oct.

So maybe from Paris to Cologne by train and then moving on to Annecy before Nice.