Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

just finished uni and wants a new start

just finished uni and wants a new start

Old Dec 8th 2010, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

aka1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default just finished uni and wants a new start

I have just finished at uni and now I am looking for a change of scenery, I was looking at going to Canada but after looking at it closer its looking unlikely, thus was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on where is a good place to start as Europe is close and not in need of paperwork.

thanks
steve
Old Dec 8th 2010, 2:37 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just finished uni and wants a new start

Originally Posted by aka1987
I have just finished at uni and now I am looking for a change of scenery, I was looking at going to Canada but after looking at it closer its looking unlikely, thus was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on where is a good place to start as Europe is close and not in need of paperwork.

thanks
steve
Hi,
A lot depends on what subject you studied and whether you speak any European languages.
But, even if you've got a Degree in a "useful" subject and good French skills, I'm afraid France won't be for you at the moment. There are too many bilingual French post-graduates (and Masters) doing menial work while job-hunting.
If you only speak English, a north European country (Netherlands, Scandinavia...) might be the answer, but there again, you'd be competing with bilingual nationals...
Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I'm realistic - most of Europe is still in the middle of an economic crisis...
Btw, I know two young Anglo-Frenchmen who went to Canada and found jobs straight away. The few months of form-filling and bureaucracy were worthwhile!
Old Dec 11th 2010, 10:11 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just finished uni and wants a new start

Originally Posted by aka1987

thanks
steve
Take a TEFL/CELTA course (make sure it's a decent month long course) and teach English. I've heard Poland and Turkey are good places to do this; Spain also offers a lot of opportunities for teaching English (the capital Madrid is the best). Of course in each case you'll have to learn the local language to get anywhere, but you're at the best age to start anew abroad. Good Luck!

PS I fear you'll have to face paperwork and bureacracy wherever you go, even if the initial arrival stage doesn't need it.