Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Incapacity benefit whilst abroad

Incapacity benefit whilst abroad

Old Nov 8th 2010, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

moving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nice
Default Re: Incapacity benefit whilst abroad

Crusty Crab
How is your claim going for ESA? I note from earlier posts, that you were to be assessed in the summer of 2010, have you been awarded this and for how long?

I was checking the DWP website and noted that ESA(c) in future I believe somewhere around 2014 will only be payable for a year then the claimant transfers to ESA(IB) which is only payable if you live in the UK. Does this mean a mass migration back to the UK? I understand that Invalidity Benefit is not claimable in Spain/Portugal unless you have paid into their system. Is it my understanding that the UK intend to leave people high and dry? Will they be allowed to do this or will there be some kind of EEA intervention?

It is my belief that if you are in receipt of INCAP and DLA (mid/high care) and the person who looks after the claimant is in receipt of CA that these at the moment are transferable, but will they be in the future.

Sorry to ask so much but am much concerned.
Thanks
Old Nov 8th 2010, 6:07 pm
Banned

crustycrab is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moving shortly
Crusty Crab
How is your claim going for ESA? I note from earlier posts, that you were to be assessed in the summer of 2010, have you been awarded this and for how long?

I was checking the DWP website and noted that ESA(c) in future I believe somewhere around 2014 will only be payable for a year then the claimant transfers to ESA(IB) which is only payable if you live in the UK. Does this mean a mass migration back to the UK? I understand that Invalidity Benefit is not claimable in Spain/Portugal unless you have paid into their system. Is it my understanding that the UK intend to leave people high and dry? Will they be allowed to do this or will there be some kind of EEA intervention?

It is my belief that if you are in receipt of INCAP and DLA (mid/high care) and the person who looks after the claimant is in receipt of CA that these at the moment are transferable, but will they be in the future.

Sorry to ask so much but am much concerned.
Thanks
Hello, my forms for my IB review have been received by my doctor and I will be sending them off this week. I don´t know what the outcome will be. I was told by IB that because I live in Spain I would not need to do the Work Capability Test. If my forms are OK I don´t know if it will still be known as IB or ESA. I am aware that IB is now called ESA. Your right in saying that to get Invalidity Benefit or DLA in Spain or any other EEU country you would need to have paid into their system. My IB is of course paid by the UK which is based on my National Insurance Contributions when I was able to work.

Your right in saying that IB and DLA are exportable to another EEU country, but your guess is as good as mine as to how long that will be for. You will still go through the reviews from Spain/Portugal etc but it is more likely to be a "paper" review with evidence given from your doctor in the country you move to. The UK is only responsible for your benefits as long as you don´t trigger the contributions system in another country. If this happens then the UK will no longer be responsible for your benefits/welfare.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

moving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nicemoving shortly is just really nice

Thanks CrustyCrab
Will you please advise us all as to your entitlement as soon as you know.

We live in interesting times, I cannot see that the UK can renounce their responsibilities to sick and disabled people and feel a court case coming on here. I can understand JSA but they appear to be trying to align JSA and ESA this restricts the movement of individuals within the EEA. I think this has already been covered on another thread.

Good luck and let us know Crusty.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Has anyone seen the news today, apparently the DWP are focusing their resources on benefit fraud abroad with the countries that are most prelevant being Spain, Portugal, Pakistan and the USA they do think they are on a "uphill curve". BBC news states that already a woman on IS and Tax Credits has been caught in Spain. 61m is lost each year to cheats abroad! Does that sum include those on pension or did they just pick a figure and throw it as usual at the UK press to wind up the UK public, slow press day or have the government got something to hide today my guess is the latter?
Old Dec 27th 2010, 11:42 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moving shortly
Does that sum include those on pension or did they just pick a figure and throw it as usual at the UK press to wind up the UK public, slow press day or have the government got something to hide today my guess is the latter?
Being on a pension in Spain isn't Benefit fraud ... it's totally legal ... as is heating allowance under certain circumstances and some elements of disability allowances under certain circumstances. Child Benefit is also claimable as long as one of the family is working in the UK and paying NI
Old Dec 28th 2010, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

I agree totally with what you say Mitzy, pension SRP is NOT benefit fraud when you receive this abroad. I did not explain myself clearly sorry, but when the newspapers mention the sums in benefit that are given out did you realise that the WHOLE of the DWP department is included which is not only "benefit" but pensions SRP as well? The amount in "benefit" is quite small really. I think another posting in which a person called Bil has hit the nail on the head regarding the whole system. I am still awaiting the bad news day that has been covered up!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:55 am
Just Joined

distressed is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Incapacity benefit whilst abroad

HI,just joined the forum and would like to tell expats of my situation in spain i have lived here for 7 yrs and receive IB from the uk which i have received since 1993 also industrial injuries,i was given a date for a medical assessment {my first in spain}in March which i attended with an interpreter to avoid any misunderstandings this took 10 mins with no previous medical history,no examination infact i didn't remove my coat,also the form the doctor had was in english she didn't speak any english,i found out by phoning the uk in november due to my not receiving a payment that they had stopped my benefit due to me not receiving enough"points" i have appealed but have been informed this can take months in the meantime i am not entitled to any money or support whilst i live in spain and have also lost my E121 status and i will need to pay for any treatment or prescriptions i need,any advice?:
Old Apr 26th 2011, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Pinkfox56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Another newbie here. I'd like to move to Spain but am worried about all the benefits I get. I am on contribution based ESA with severe disablement allowance and DLA high rate mobility and medium rate carers allowance. I have a motability car instead of the mobility allowance.

Does anyone know if I would lose any of these, please?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Pinkfox56 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's OK, I found the answer on .Guv. etc. It's changed in only a few months and the wording was ambiguous - well, to me anyway. It would seem the government has had to do a turnaround and lots of people will be eligable to get their benefits back. Europe intervened.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 7:34 pm
grasshopper2012

sachmofranklin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by graham barnett
Well i first claimed incapacity in 1997 and have lived in Spain for the last 6yrs and have had no problem with claiming out here, thats why i speak from experience!
Hi Graham, I'm just filling in my form to move to Spain whilst on incapacity benefit. There is a question that asks who will be paying my rent. My plan is to pay my rent from my incap benefit (things will be tight I know:-). Do you think they'll be cool with this? Or is it better to say that my parents will be paying for it, even though it will be coming out of the incap. I am also wondering if it causes complications in assesment..if I was to state that I wish to stay for longer than 6 months?

Much appreciation for your wisdom,
Sachmo