Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

An imaginatively titled Belgian thread...

An imaginatively titled Belgian thread...

Old Oct 13th 2018, 8:46 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An imaginatively titled Belgian thread...

Originally Posted by scot47
Belgium ? What is it for ? An artificial creation made up of Flanders, Wallonia and a few German-speaking districts on the borders of the Reich.
Yes, it may be 'artificial', yes it sometimes has problems getting a working government installed, but it also has excellent beer, awfully good friteries and great people to name just a few things, loads of other good stuff going for it. And so far the weather is 'acceptable'...

Oh yes, almost forgot as a pensioner it's an eminently affordable place to live whereas CH was not.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 9:42 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Belgium ? What is it for ? An artificial creation made up of Flanders, Wallonia and a few German-speaking districts on the borders of the Reich.
Take it easy Tiger
Old Oct 14th 2018, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It is simply The Spanish Netherlands under a new name, created in 1830.
Old Oct 14th 2018, 1:43 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Belgium was / is so desirable that everyone wants a piece of it
Old Oct 16th 2018, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Belgium my uninitiated friends is one of the best kept 'secrets' in Europe .Many scoff. ( thinking of Jeremy Clarkson here ) but once they discover the chocolate, the best cuisine in the world, the myriad types of beer.the delectable and REAL frites with mayonnaise ,not to forget the mussels. The shopping in the beautiful city of Antwerp.The craftsmanship...Yep I am a little homesick for Antwerp. To dismiss it as 'nothing' place is to miss a real treat.
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised that the inhabitants of Spain have not laid claim to their former colony.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 1:00 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

My sister just spent a week there and I haven't even looked at the pictures yet.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 5:41 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised that the inhabitants of Spain have not laid claim to their former colony.
And the point of your inane posts is what in this context?
Old Nov 11th 2018, 7:48 pm
Gloves off

Just spent a hugely fun afternoon/early evening with Team Renovation. They came over for coffee and cake – followed by beer (boys) and rosé (girls). We worked on the plan for fixing the last two niggles – really small stuff – then moved on to the ‘home improvements plan’ for 2019.

How to hang all the curtains, mostly being the ones that we don’t currently have; the ones we brought with us are too short for downstairs big living room, so they’ll get hacked and put upstairs, also in the downstairs bedrooms, all of which have half windows.

How best to avoid having to ask the Gemeente for planning permission for converting a small chunk of lawn into a paved parking spot. Standard Belgian officialdom avoidance stuff, but better executed with someone in the know on board. The Gemeente started it anyway, on street parking is apparently frowned on. Go figure...

Loads of other small things, but TR now have a plan based on our wish list. We also discussed restaurants, we’ll invite them to one of our favourite places, and they’ll take us to one of theirs – which IQ reckons I’ve already visited…

On another practical front, we hope to have the health insurance ‘dispute’ sorted this week, which would be the last obstacle to us finally being granted ID cards.

This would be extemely useful as otherwise we’d be forced to quit Belgium - albeit for just one night - and then start the registration game all over again.
Old Nov 12th 2018, 7:45 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Sounds like you're settled in the Belgian way of doing things
I'm not sure the French way of doing things would work in Belgium (Don't ask so they can't say no).
Nice you found a RT you can count on though.
I assume they comunicate in Egnlish with you ?
I am surprized how difficult it is to sort out your health insurance.
I'll it will get sorted very soon now.

In case you wonder about the weather in the South ... it's crap ...
We've had rain for the last 2 weeks, warmish but very wet. I hope something better is on it's way. Golfcourse is 1 big mud pool.

Keep up ''The good life'' and enjoy
Old Nov 12th 2018, 9:52 am
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Annetje
Sounds like you're settled in the Belgian way of doing things
Learning quite quickly now...

...Nice you found a RT you can count on though.
I assume they communicate in English with you ?
I fixed that a bit...

Yes, Ms TR speaks English, Mr TR only speaks two languages - Stabroeken and betalen.

I am surprized how difficult it is to sort out your health insurance.
I'll it will get sorted very soon now.
Honestly didn't see that one coming, which is why we have had to drop back to Swiss health insurance for a couple of months, but even that is 'not good enough' for the Gemeente.

In case you wonder about the weather in the South ... it's crap ...
We've had rain for the last 2 weeks, warmish but very wet. I hope something better is on it's way. Golfcourse is 1 big mud pool.
Hmm, a bit like up here, except we have coldish and very wet. Still loads of people out on our 'local' golf course though, the one on Miksebaan.

Keep up ''The good life'' and enjoy
Thank you. Forgot to mention that I now have a Flemish language teacher, lessons will start later this week. Should help to reduce the embarrassing incidents like last Saturday when in a restaurant I started a sentence in Dutch/Flemish but somehow switched to German half way through...
Old Nov 14th 2018, 8:20 pm
Gloves off

This one goes in category classic I feel. Following on from Sunday’s meeting with the house renovation team, the electrician/plumber spent a large chunk of yesterday here sorting out issues with the heating system. It’s underfloor heating downstairs, all the circuits combined run to about 850 metres of pipe, and we also have three backup radiators for winter ‘insurance’. We knew that there was air in the system, so we’d asked for a full purge, also that he narrowed down some other anomalies.

My room has been cold ever since the heating was first turned on, we’d sort of put this down to a combination of air in the system and a long run of pipe. The lounge/diner had been tricky to balance, it’s quite a large L-shaped room, with a high ceiling in part.

Late yesterday afternoon a torrent of bad language erupted from around the master control panel, followed a few minutes later by a somewhat calmer explanation. It turns out that two of the room thermostats had been mis-mapped in the control panel, so raising the temperature on the thermostat in my room had the effect of raising the temperature in the lounge. Obviously dropping the temperature on the lounge thermostat resulted in my room becoming even colder.

Problem fixed within a few minutes, and a few chuckles exchanged over beers.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 8:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy

Late yesterday afternoon a torrent of bad language erupted from around the master control panel
Sounds like MrBEVS the plumber was somehow in your vicinity
Old Nov 14th 2018, 8:39 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Thank goodness no mayor works to be done

I've got that here and I L.O.V.E. that system
Mine is electric so I have to anticipate the temperature in an hour time. One gets used to that though.
At this moment I survive with just the fireplace for 1 or 2 hours in the evening but colder weather on the way.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 9:08 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by BEVS
Sounds like MrBEVS the plumber was somehow in your vicinity
Someone once told me that's it's mandatory in 'Plumbing 101'...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.