Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

If the UK left the EU would we lose freedom of movement?

If the UK left the EU would we lose freedom of movement?

Old Oct 20th 2012, 11:57 pm
Banned

lokalokaloka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If the UK left the EU would we lose freedom of movement?

I'd imagine an explosion of people leaving the UK before it hypothetically left the EU, right?
Old Oct 21st 2012, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of
Default Re: If the UK left the EU would we lose freedom of movement?

Nah, it wouldn't happen. We'd still be able to move freely, but we'd just have to have our passports stamped when entering other countries, just like we did when we entered non-EU countries before they joined the EU.

The main difference would be that we would no longer be able to stay in another EU country indefinitely, so it would be back to the days of either getting out after 90 days, or standing in long queues for work and residency permits.

But either way, I can't see an 'explosion of people leaving the UK'. Those who are happy to live in the UK will stay, those who aren't will have left already anyway, and those thinking of leaving wouldn't have any advantage by going before the law changes because if they wanted to live abroad at some point, they'd still have to go through all the red tape anyway, whether they left before or after.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lokalokaloka
I'd imagine an explosion of people leaving the UK before it hypothetically left the EU, right?
Technically speaking a EU country cannot even leave the Union after their parliament have accepted the Treaty. Imagining a referendum on the EU where the majority votes for getting out of it, the British government would have to force the EU to negotiate a new Treaty, in this case without the UK (and why not, Greece).

The possible scenario is difficult to imagine at the moment. I think it will not happen in the near future, at least 5-6 years. By then, Europe will have become a dependency of China.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 7:54 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

considering how difficult it is to get into the UK via the Third World Airport at Stansted I don't see we have much "freedom of movement" now.

ok 3rd World countries probably have more of a nod and a wink attitude but Stansted is stuffed full of not so civil servants who keep telling me the checks carried out are for the safety of the country's borders. It doesnt go down very well after a grotty flight, 15min walk from where the plane dumps passengers with no travellators, elevators etc etc because it is after 12 and the power has been switched off. And then having to wait 20mins to get to the front of the queue to enter the country. To find that there is no transport unless you want an hourly train to London or have someone to pick you up - who has been moved on by over zealous parking wardens.

funny that illegal immigrants get in every hour of every day, don't get caught, live here for a couple of years before relaxing and getting caught - so they then claim asylum
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:38 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

A question. Does the op think there is any difficulty as outlined in going to or living in Switzerland? I only ask that because although people think so, Switzerland is not in the EU. It is an ex EFTA member.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gioppino
Technically speaking a EU country cannot even leave the Union after their parliament have accepted the Treaty.
Yes it can; there's even an agreed procedure for it:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Consol...ons#Article_50