Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Iceland - am I mad?

Iceland - am I mad?

Old Oct 21st 2014, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

chappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to allchappie is a name known to all
Default Iceland - am I mad?

I'm thinking of moving to Iceland for 4-5 months from May next year just for the hell of it. As it already has the word 'ice' in it, I'm going to give winter a miss.

Has anyone else spent the summer in Iceland?
Any recommendations on where to base myself (my work is internet-based, so I will need good, reliable web access)
Any pitfalls?
And is 'summer' a misnomer?

I want to see these (but without the dramatic music):
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iceland - am I mad?

Originally Posted by chappie
I'm thinking of moving to Iceland for 4-5 months from May next year just for the hell of it. As it already has the word 'ice' in it, I'm going to give winter a miss.

Has anyone else spent the summer in Iceland?
Any recommendations on where to base myself (my work is internet-based, so I will need good, reliable web access)
Any pitfalls?
And is 'summer' a misnomer?

I want to see these (but without the dramatic music):
Northern Lights in Iceland, in REAL TIME!!! - YouTube
Why mad? It's only temporary and something you'll remember for the rest of your life. Apart from daylight winters in Reykjavik aren't worse than other places and you have hot pools. It actually doesn't get colder than many other places in mainland Europe. Spring is probably the best time with good amount of sunshine and even in summer you could get days with 20 degrees.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:24 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, you will have to have a big budget, everything is very expensive there as everything has to be imported.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to know that winter is the best time to see the Northern Lights in Iceland. My son was there this summer - didn't see them once.
Old Dec 7th 2014, 12:02 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Iceland is lovely, and in the south (Reykjavik), where the gulf stream bumps into it, it doesn't really get all that cold. However, 10km inland, it can become pretty damned frosty, even in summer. It's also dark all winter and light all summer. Both conditions take some getting used to.

Living there? haven't a clue, but I find the place magical every time I go. I wish I could spend more time there and discover all it has to offer, but it's just not in the cards.

By the way, the northern lights have nothing to do with the seasons, but rather, solar flare activity on the sun. The sun has no seasons. Solar flares happen at random.