Iceland

Old Jan 27th 2009, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Rhiannonbrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Iceland

Iceland is the most western and northern country in Europe. The capital is Reykjavik. It has a 300,000 population.

I moved here with my husbaand-to-be in November 2008. He was offered a job over here before the economic crisis hit. Although life here seems to be going on as normal according to people we know.

Would you like to connect with other British Expats who have moved or are looking to move to Iceland.

Thanks
Rhiannon x
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:44 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iceland

Originally Posted by Rhiannonbrown

Would you like to connect with other British Expats who have moved or are looking to move to Iceland.

Thanks
Rhiannon x
In what way ....
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

haha! sorry i didnt make that very clear. just to get to know people and chill out. make friends. that kind of thing.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:47 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

haha! sorry i didnt make that very clear. just to get to know people and chill out. make friends. that kind of thing.

It'll be interesting to see how many Iceland Expats are on here
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, not very many by the looks of things...
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Billybrewer is an unknown quantity at this point

Iceland is the most western and northern country in Europe. The capital is Reykjavik. It has a 300,000 population.

I moved here with my husbaand-to-be in November 2008. He was offered a job over here before the economic crisis hit. Although life here seems to be going on as normal according to people we know.

Thanks
Rhiannon x
Hello,
I am not moving to Iceland, but I am about to start coming there to go to the Olgerdin Brewery. I could do with your help for places to stay, where to avoid, and good restaurants.Also, your view on supplying companies in Iceland, in regard to the financial climare there.
Thanks for your help
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

I will look into it for you at give you some tips tonight, if not tomorrow
Olgerdin Brewery is based in Reykjavik so im guessing youd want to stay in Reykjavik?
Rhiannon
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

I will look into it for you at give you some tips tonight, if not tomorrow
Olgerdin Brewery is based in Reykjavik so im guessing youd want to stay in Reykjavik?
Rhiannon
Hello
Yes please, I would like to see Reykjavik and other local areas you could recommend. Maybe a bit of a contrast to living in the centre of UK and Tuscany.
Thanks for the quick response
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:28 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Billybrewer
Hello
Yes please, I would like to see Reykjavik and other local areas you could recommend. Maybe a bit of a contrast to living in the centre of UK and Tuscany.
Thanks for the quick response
Are you going to try a bit of Ice Truck driving whilst you are there
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Hotel Reykjavik, is supposed to be really good. i have heard a lot of good things about. Its 46 euros a night, which isnt bad for Reykjavik. It is on the main shopping street of Iceland with lots of good quality bars and resturants close by. Another good hotel is Hotel Holt; this is a very elegent place famous for its variety of single malt whisky!
While you are in Reykjavik you must go to the harbour and find the hotdog stand. It has been there for 1927 and has the best hotdogs ever! (if youre into that)
If you want to see some country side i suggest going towards Vik, which is in the south of Iceland and about 2/3hours drive out of Reykjavik. Its a simple drive as there is only one main road in Iceland. It will show you the mountains, sea, beach and waterfalls. Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss are the two big waterfalls you will see. Seljalandsfoss is a waterfall where you can walk behind. definatly worth a trip to see
I will do some research and find out about supplying companies..personally i think you would be okay as the government seems to be sorting itself out. I will get back to you on that tomorrow!

p.s. if you are feeling adventureous you should definalty do a glacier tour! And the blue lagoon is a definate must see
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Are you going to try a bit of Ice Truck driving whilst you are there
Doubtful, I struggle to keep the car on the road most of the time even in good conditions. Might try something else on ice, Magners, Bulmers, or Vodka if not the local "brew"
Cheers
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

Hotel Reykjavik, is supposed to be really good. i have heard a lot of good things about. Its 46 euros a night, which isnt bad for Reykjavik. It is on the main shopping street of Iceland with lots of good quality bars and resturants close by. Another good hotel is Hotel Holt; this is a very elegent place famous for its variety of single malt whisky!
While you are in Reykjavik you must go to the harbour and find the hotdog stand. It has been there for 1927 and has the best hotdogs ever! (if youre into that)
If you want to see some country side i suggest going towards Vik, which is in the south of Iceland and about 2/3hours drive out of Reykjavik. Its a simple drive as there is only one main road in Iceland. It will show you the mountains, sea, beach and waterfalls. Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss are the two big waterfalls you will see. Seljalandsfoss is a waterfall where you can walk behind. definatly worth a trip to see
I will do some research and find out about supplying companies..personally i think you would be okay as the government seems to be sorting itself out. I will get back to you on that tomorrow!

p.s. if you are feeling adventureous you should definalty do a glacier tour! And the blue lagoon is a definate must see
The Hotels sound very good, and the price is good too. Usually I cant get anything reasonable in a city centre for less than 100 euros. I assumed prices in Iceland could be similar to Scandinavia.
I will make sure I hire a car after the work is done and head off into the country. Will be good to see the waterfalls etc. I remember Clarkson once said on Top Gear that there were no natural trees on Iceland, or maybe he was only joking.
I think the Icelandic Tourist Board could do themselves a favour and employ you!It all sounds very interesting. Best make sure we get the contract!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

Hello

And todays question is, do you know if there are any low cost airlines to Iceland? If so, from where in the UK. I can only find 500 euro flights from Manchester and Heathrow. It feels a bit expensive after Ryanairs prices. Would prefer to invest the expenses in local culture when I get there.

Cheers again
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Hey, apparently Iceland Express is supposed to be the cheapest airline..flying from Stansted and Gatwik. But in the past when i have wanted cheap flights i have found it cheaper at Icelandair.com. Type in your dates and click search..it comes up with a list of dates surrounding yours (each with different prices)..many times they have been a lot cheaper than Iceland Express. Usually at about £200 (not sure what that is in euros) And they are a much better standard. You can fly from Manchester, Heathrow and Glasgow flying to Keflavik airport.
Hope this helps
x

Last edited by Rhiannonbrown; Jan 30th 2009 at 2:04 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Yes, that helps much better prices. That will help the social funding. Manchester looks the best option for me. Just need the final piece to drop into place ( the contract ) and will get the bags packed. Will keep you posted, and would like to offer a drink or two for all your help. Also, happy to bring over Marmite, Tea, or any other British delight you cant do without.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.