Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

I am one of the many Georgians who have set hopes on a new president Saakashvili.

I am one of the many Georgians who have set hopes on a new president Saakashvili.

Old Feb 4th 2004, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Sergo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am one of the many Georgians who have set hopes on a new president Saakashvili.

I am one of the many Georgians who have set hopes on a new president Saakashvili. Now the real issue for me is the recognition of his government failure. To my mind it’s a result of his poor handling of the Georgian economy, bad relations with Russia and numerous internal conflicts. The new leader vowed to unite Georgia, to make it strong. Really he has pursued a policy of force and military settlement of all problems in our region. It leads to confrontation among our autonomies. So he can’t have real authority with the most Georgians now. His struggle against corruption inside our country hasn’t any result either. Saakashvili has turned professionals out of the government and other public services. State machinery is unable to work as coordinated system. It results in power paralysis, deepening corruption, poverty and separatist tensions. Half of all my compatriots continue dragging out a miserable existence. We insist on immediate actions from Saakashvili. But he has only called on western nations to provide aid and investments. Otherwise, he says, Georgia could slide into chaos. What about your own force as the president, Mr. Saakashvili? I should warn that my country is quite capable of solving its internal problems itself. It isn’t a bananas republic. As for me Saakashvili has built himself the reputation of a demagogue and a populist with a strong lust for power.