Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

How old are the people on these boards ?

View Poll Results: how old are you ?
under drinking age (0>18)
2.41%
18>25
10.84%
25>40
53.01%
40+
33.73%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

How old are the people on these boards ?

Old Feb 1st 2005, 3:32 pm
Scuffer

Scuffer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How old are the people on these boards ?

[QUOTE=Tracy in Texas]
Originally Posted by Scuffer
Lucky sod.
Been advised to keep away from the Algarve though. QUOTE]

Why would you keep away from the Algarve?
My Mum and Dad retired there and it is beautiful.
They are in a very small Portuguese village with a lovely view, and wonderful neighbours. It's quiet and peaceful, yet just a 15 minute car ride to a major town / beach and Faro airport is only 35 mins away. Perfect.
They love it. The cost of living is low, the weather is very temperate (although it does get very hot in the summer sometimes - what a bummer )
My Dad recently bought a telescope as the skies are so clear there, he's taken up star / planet gazing as a hobby.
They have lots of ex-pat activities ie: car boot sales, BBQ';s, Portuguese classes etc etc. Give it a try, but I would stay away from the major towns and visit the smaller towns and villages that still have all the olde worlde Portuguese charm.
There are loads of great little authentic restaurants (cheap), good supermarkets, nice bars, great walks / hiking trails, world class golf (if you're into that) and even an English radio station.
What a lot of people do who move there is buy a home/villa that comes with a 'granny flat' or apartment and then rent that out during the summer for extra income.
One last thing - do yourself a favour and at least try to learn some Portuguese - they will respect you for that.
Just my tuppence.
-Trace
A good rule for travel is always to listen to the air hostess.
thanks for your tuppence and even if not on this trip as we had planned to do Porto, Coimbra, Lisbon and if time permits the Minho. We will ensure we do the Algarve and make up our own minds when we return in the Autumn.
Phrase book is already packed and we hope between My German/English
and my wife's French/American we can muddle through and eventually come to some sort of understanding. Still, making mistakes can sometimes be part of the fun.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 3:40 pm
Scuffer

Scuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pete W
The Algarve is definitley a beautiful area , as Tracy said.It just depends on where you go. We went to the western Algarve( about 9 miles from Lagos) and stayed in a small village unspoilt by tourism. It was about 30 mins on the bus to Lagos. If, like us , you don't like battling through hordes of tourists , then you're going at the right time of year. It just depends on how much you like to embrace other cultures.Some folk just want sun & sand and a pint of Carling , so could go anywhere! I'd recommend doing a jeep safari , as the guides are extremely informative and are happy to answer any questions you may have about Portugal in general 9 and they'll propbably be interested to know about the UK. If you go down to the Algarve , its worth taking the train from Lagos towards the east.The trains are spacious , comfortable and cheap - and you can just 'let the train take the strain' and enjoy the scenery.Tracy's absolutely right in what she says about the Algarve , and it's definitely a good idea to learn even just a little Portuguese (maybe buy a cheap English-Portuguese dictionary before you go). I found it fun to have a go , and just being able to greet someone is nice , as the Portuguese are extremely friendly. Don't be surprised if a random passer-by greets you in the street - it's alien to us , but absolutley natural to them! The Portuguese we met were only too happy to stop and chat ( in English when they realise that your Portuguese is limited) , and even when you've greeted someone who doesn't speak English , they're still up for a chat. Not wanting to sound preachy but just offering some general advice. Sagres and Superbok are two really nice beers , and I'd recommend a 'green wine' called Casa Garcia;it's a dry , lightly sparkling white made from young grapes. Most importantly...enjoys and relax! Have a great time , and let us know how it went!
Ta for the advice. With you and Tracey ganging up on me it would be churlish not to heed your advice. We plan to "do" Porto, Coimbra, Lisbon and if time permits the Minho. We do already have a return planned for November so we'll make a point of seeing the Algarve and maybe a little of the Alentejo then. We'll do our best to go native, it's not always worked out text-book but we usually have fun messing it up. I'll certainly contact you with the latest on our return. Thanks again.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

scanman is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: How old are the people on these boards ?

No guessing my age, but just been re-tyred, but can remember Terry Paine and John Sydenham ( Scuffy), had a great time in Soton back then, promotion an all.
Over here it's mainly ice hockey but then the climate has a lot to do with that.
Funny thing people here are usually a lot older than they appear, probably because come October they fix a look on their faces and it remains frozen in time until May.
Notice very few exp's from Finland on here, maybe the afore mentioned has a lot to do with it, try typing with three pairs of gloves on
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:53 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Last 6 or so posts are a bit off topic aint they, we dont wanna know where your moving to......

The question is " How old are the people on these boards " which part dont you understand ?

If you wanna go off topic start your own thread.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Wink Re: How old are the people on these boards ?

Didn't ask how many wrinkles you had either, did it.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scanman
Didn't ask how many wrinkles you had either, did it.
Your excused anyway, the ice hockey has probably frozen your brain the others have got no excuse though
Old Mar 28th 2005, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Staying with the thread re. age, hope your'e not suggesting I'm over the hill, heck I don't even remember being on top of it.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:32 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a half of 69.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:46 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Iginla
I'm a half of 69.

Top half or bottom half ?