Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get my turkish girlfriend a residency in a European country

How to get my turkish girlfriend a residency in a European country

Old May 29th 2018, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Stu2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to get my turkish girlfriend a residency in a European country

So this issue is really bothering us. I have been with my Turkish girlfriend for over 3 years and we want to move from turkey to Spain or France. I am a full time musician playing in many groups including one pretty famous one, and I’ve lived in Turkey, Egypt and Uganda for the last 7 years studying music, but this doesn’t help in any way when it comes to us moving to Europe together! I have half made the move already to France and I’m renting a room over there.
I’ve been looking in to doing a civil partnership in Spain - it’s called pareja de hecho. So far this looks like the only option and even then it might not work. Marriage in my situation doesn’t help...or does it?
if anyone has any information or advice for me I’d love to hear.
I own a house in Scotland ...maybe this could help ?
Old May 30th 2018, 5:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get my turkish girlfriend a residency in a European country

Originally Posted by Stu2
So this issue is really bothering us. I have been with my Turkish girlfriend for over 3 years and we want to move from turkey to Spain or France. I am a full time musician playing in many groups including one pretty famous one, and I’ve lived in Turkey, Egypt and Uganda for the last 7 years studying music, but this doesn’t help in any way when it comes to us moving to Europe together! I have half made the move already to France and I’m renting a room over there.
I’ve been looking in to doing a civil partnership in Spain - it’s called pareja de hecho. So far this looks like the only option and even then it might not work. Marriage in my situation doesn’t help...or does it?
if anyone has any information or advice for me I’d love to hear.
I own a house in Scotland ...maybe this could help ?
Just to clarify - are you, yourself British? Do you hold any other nationality?
Old May 30th 2018, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Hi, yes I am British and hold no other nationality.
Old May 30th 2018, 7:10 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yes I am British and hold no other nationality.
If you settle in France,
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F2653
gives info, but you must be married or pacs'd (civil union) and prove how long you've lived together.
You yourself must probably prove your own eligibility for résidence (adequate income, healthcare coverage....) in order to be able to "sponsor" your partner, but some one more in the know will come along. As a musician, what is your actual employment status in France? (salaried, intermittent du spectacle, etc...)
If the Mods allow it, post again in both the France and Spain forums, and if your ultimate aim is to live together in the UK, you should post in the Moving Back to the UK section of the forum. With Brexit looming, I don't know how the Surinder Singh route works nowadays....
Hope this helps!
P.S. If you wish to get pacs'd in France,
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F1618
gives all the bureaucratic info, particularly the documents required for non-French "applicants". As complicated as getting married, in fact.....

Last edited by dmu; May 30th 2018 at 7:21 am.
Old May 30th 2018, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply! I am looking in to the different options and bureaucratic procedures now. If anyone has anything else to add or first hand experience of doing this sort of thing I’d love to hear from you.
Old May 30th 2018, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
As a musician, what is your actual employment status in France? (salaried, intermittent du spectacle, etc...)
I am working towards intermittent du spectacle. It's unlikely I will get it this year but I am paying taxes for some concerts.
Old May 31st 2018, 6:41 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I am working towards intermittent du spectacle. It's unlikely I will get it this year but I am paying taxes for some concerts.
Are you receiving "cachets"? I think you mean Social Security "côtisations", PAYE is starting next year, and you'll have to declare all your worldwide 2018 earnings next year, even if there's no Income Tax to pay....
Make sure your proven monthly income and healthcare coverage are sufficient to acquire your own Résidence status, and get yourselves married in a less complicated country than France!
Meanwhile your gf could come to France/Spain on a visitor's visa and decide whether she would actually like to live in either country. Does she speak either language? Unless she has already visited either/both, this would be a huge step into the unknown for her.....
Old May 31st 2018, 9:31 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As an afterthought, on reading your post on the Spain forum, I believe you must also prove the duration of your domicile in France with rental receipts when justifying your application for Résidence. If you have them for your room, all well and good, but if not, I believe your landlord could make a Déclaration sur l'Honneur that you are residing chez lui for free (although this might open a can of worms if he isn't declaring your tenancy! ). Fore-warned is fore-armed!