Reload this Page >

How easy is it really ?

How easy is it really ?

Old Jul 7th 2009, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Dick here is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How easy is it really ?

Hi all

First post so be gentle. It seems so easy to live abroad these days, but the practicalities terrify me. For example, do you sell or rent out your UK home ? What do you do with all your furniture and stuff, take it with you (how ?) or sell it, or store it ? Bank accounts etc ? What do you do for accommodation when you first get there ? Schools etc ?

And do you really need to speak the language and/or find a job first ?

All advice welcomed, thanks !
Old Jul 7th 2009, 12:42 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How easy is it really ?

Read through some of the threads on the country forum you are thinking of moving to, I am sure this has all been covered in most.

You will def need the language and also a job, otherwise you will have no chance these days.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
You will def need the language and also a job, otherwise you will have no chance these days.
Or , just maybe : the gent simply just has enough good moneyz available ,
to see him through???
Old Jul 7th 2009, 5:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray51
Or , just maybe : the gent simply just has enough good moneyz available ,
to see him through???
But then he wouldn`t be worrying over furniture etc. ;-))
Old Jul 7th 2009, 5:36 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick here
Hi all

Hi, I'll be as gentle as possible and for personal reasons, I won't make assumptions, but
... Yes, and yes, especially if you've got children to care for. Their welfare should take priority and you should do your homework VERY carefully before you make a decision.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

The quality of the answer/s :
depends v. v. much on the quality and quantity of info provided with the question/s , n'est ce pas , amigos ?
Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

First post so be gentle. It seems so easy to live abroad these days, but the practicalities terrify me. For example, do you sell or rent out your UK home ? What do you do with all your furniture and stuff, take it with you (how ?) or sell it, or store it ? Bank accounts etc ? What do you do for accommodation when you first get there ? Schools etc ?

What motivates your desire to move?
It's easier now than ever to move and live abroad from your home country, but you've got to start with a plan.
I see from your other post that you work in IT and are wondering if you should stay with that or retire early.

I guess filling in some of the blanks will help you get better replies.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
What motivates your desire to move?
It's easier now than ever to move and live abroad from your home country, but you've got to start with a plan.
I see from your other post that you work in IT and are wondering if you should stay with that or retire early.

I guess filling in some of the blanks will help you get better replies.
Thanks, certainly in the longer term I'd like to retire abroad, at present I'm not sure.

Not knowing where I want to go, but assume Europe somewhere. Any thoughts on my original questions, they seem basic things to me but nobody seems to be able to come up with any answers !
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:04 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Thanks, certainly in the longer term I'd like to retire abroad, at present I'm not sure.

Not knowing where I want to go, but assume Europe somewhere. Any thoughts on my original questions, they seem basic things to me but nobody seems to be able to come up with any answers !
Re read my first post, they have all been answered but differently as per each country, all of Europe has different paperwork and laws. ;-)
Pick a country and read the threads.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with jdr.. I've been thru the details of my UK spouse moving to Greece, my US self moving to Greece, myself moving to a Central American country, Mexico, my parents moving to Spain.. I have sold property, rented it out.. it's different every time. There are lots of discussions here in the USA forum regarding the move to the US, and I know the other country forums do the same.

All of those things are 'details'.. things that are reasonably easy to work out when you've settled on a destination.
How 'bout you just trust me on that, nothing will be unachievable with regard to your original questions. But they can't be answered til you know where you're going.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
I agree with jdr.. I've been thru the details of my UK spouse moving to Greece, my US self moving to Greece, myself moving to a Central American country, Mexico, my parents moving to Spain.. I have sold property, rented it out.. it's different every time. There are lots of discussions here in the USA forum regarding the move to the US, and I know the other country forums do the same.

All of those things are 'details'.. things that are reasonably easy to work out when you've settled on a destination.
How 'bout you just trust me on that, nothing will be unachievable with regard to your original questions. But they can't be answered til you know where you're going.
Ok, I trust you ! Let's say Croatia then, as OH is originally from there. Now do I get some answers ?
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:45 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Ok, I trust you ! Let's say Croatia then, as OH is originally from there. Now do I get some answers ?
Maybe you have picked the right username, it certainly matches your attitude.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 3:42 pm

Yeah, ask your wife the answer.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:33 am
Just Joined

msgreentea is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

When I moved to London 3 years ago I came with just a suitcase and I rented a flat with furniture and kitchen appliances. So if I move, I don't have to take things with me. I openned my bank account soon after, just took a letter from my employer to the bank.

You have lots of info in this forum and you can check the gov website as well.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by msgreentea
When I moved to London 3 years ago I came with just a suitcase and I rented a flat with furniture and kitchen appliances. So if I move, I don't have to take things with me. I openned my bank account soon after, just took a letter from my employer to the bank.

You have lots of info in this forum and you can check the gov website as well.
Thanks, MGT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.