Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

Old Jul 1st 2016, 12:33 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
lk14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

Is anyone else experiencing hostility across Europe since Brexit? If you are a British expat living abroad who is facing hostility or abuse since Brexit. <<<SNIP>>>

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 1st 2016 at 2:05 pm. Reason: Looks fishy
lk14 is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2016, 12:50 pm
  #2  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 58,029
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

Originally Posted by lk14 View Post
Is anyone else experiencing hostility across Europe since Brexit? If you are a British expat living abroad who is facing hostility or abuse since Brexit,
Why?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 1st 2016 at 2:05 pm. Reason: Snipped quote
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2016, 12:57 pm
  #3  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,050
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

Originally Posted by lk14 View Post
Is anyone else experiencing hostility across Europe since Brexit? If you are a British expat living abroad who is facing hostility or abuse since Brexit,
Take a look at the Site Rules #10. If it's for your personal satisfaction, then I'll also ask, Why?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 1st 2016 at 2:05 pm. Reason: Snipped quote
dmu is online now  
Old Jul 1st 2016, 1:41 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
 
bissnitzbarbie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: Schleswig-Holstein
Posts: 2
bissnitzbarbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

Frankly I dont care why the question was asked - it´s valid, and having listened avidly to the discussions in the UK parliament (PMs question time, hate crime statement and all that followed on Wednesday) British Expats in the EU seem to have no voice. The only hostility I have experienced has been (online) from British nationalists who see my vote to "remain" and choice to live in Germany as a resignation of my rights as a British Citizen and I quote " we have voted you out you are not a proper British person you have no rights any more, out is out" unquote
bissnitzbarbie is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2016, 2:01 pm
  #5  
Reasonable Bitch
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Mallorca
Posts: 18,139
amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

I live in both Spain and Germany, and in the few instances where anyone expresses any opinion, the tone is much more rational and without much emotion.

The few that have expressed an opinion just seem to be rather dismayed at the vitriol and hysteria from the British. While most have gripes about the EU for one reason or another, they all seem to feel that overall, it's been a benefit, and life outside of it wouldn't be something they'd wish for.
amideislas is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2016, 11:47 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
fidobsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: North east Croatia
Posts: 1,564
fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

On the Hungary forum one of the members is a beekeeper and he says the honey buyers are refusing to buy his honey since the result.
fidobsa is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2016, 11:58 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
fidobsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: North east Croatia
Posts: 1,564
fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

Originally Posted by bissnitzbarbie View Post
British Expats in the EU seem to have no voice. The only hostility I have experienced has been (online) from British nationalists who see my vote to "remain" and choice to live in Germany as a resignation of my rights as a British Citizen and I quote " we have voted you out you are not a proper British person you have no rights any more, out is out" unquote
Interesting, one of my Facebook friends was a UKIP candidate in the last election and he made a similar comment about me when I shared one or two joke or cartoon type photos making fun of the result.
fidobsa is offline  
Old Jul 9th 2016, 1:39 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Azarel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Posts: 208
Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

No kind of hostility here at all. Most people are either indifferent, or slightly confused as to why the UK would choose to quit rather than remain and fight for a better EU.
Azarel is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2016, 11:05 am
  #9  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 5
French bubbles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

I was deeply distressed that my children, who have now lived in France for the last 14 years were refused a letter of residency by the Mairie in our town. This document forms part of what is required to apply for citizenship. My daughter who has just turned 18 asked to register to vote and was told she couldn't because there would be no elections prior to the UK leaving the EU.
When my son turned 18 this was not a problem and they issued proof of residency papers as a matter of course on the basis of a recent utilities bill and id.
Frankly this is not the first example of discrimination we have experienced since Brexit we have experienced.
It feels like we are being punished by the British and now by the French
French bubbles is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2016, 12:43 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
fidobsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: North east Croatia
Posts: 1,564
fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

I would appeal to a higher authority about these matters as Britain is still an EU member, there has not yet been any official change in status.
fidobsa is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2016, 2:24 pm
  #11  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,050
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

Originally Posted by French bubbles View Post
I was deeply distressed that my children, who have now lived in France for the last 14 years were refused a letter of residency by the Mairie in our town. This document forms part of what is required to apply for citizenship. My daughter who has just turned 18 asked to register to vote and was told she couldn't because there would be no elections prior to the UK leaving the EU.
When my son turned 18 this was not a problem and they issued proof of residency papers as a matter of course on the basis of a recent utilities bill and id.
Frankly this is not the first example of discrimination we have experienced since Brexit we have experienced.
It feels like we are being punished by the British and now by the French
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Come onto the France forum to find out whether other members' children have had the same issues when they reached their majority after the Referendum. Not everyone looks in the general Europe section....
There are two issues here, which seem to concern only your daughter:
- Getting on the electoral roll. There are Presidential and Legislative Elections in 2017 but non-French residents can't vote in them, so no hurry as far as the Mairie is concerned. Off-hand, I can't remember when the next Regional and Municipal Elections are (where EU electors can vote), but imagine that Brexit will have moved forwards (or backwards) by then and the situation should be clearer. In any case, no one knows when (if?) the UK will be leaving the UE....
- Other members on the France forum might be able to advise on obtaining the letter of residency from the Mairie for an EU minor who has only just reached their majority. I wonder what utility bill they could produce in their name, unless they are renting away from home?
I wouldn't think your Mairie is discriminating against UK expats in France, esp. if your children have been educated here (?). There's probably an administrative problem somewhere and I would go back to discuss it all calmly en famille (presuming that you the parents are applying for French citizenship, too?).
Hope this is of some help, but come over to the France forum to see what others here think.
dmu is online now  
Old Aug 9th 2016, 5:03 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 5
French bubbles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

Originally Posted by dmu View Post
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Come onto the France forum to find out whether other members' children have had the same issues when they reached their majority after the Referendum. Not everyone looks in the general Europe section....
There are two issues here, which seem to concern only your daughter:
- Getting on the electoral roll. There are Presidential and Legislative Elections in 2017 but non-French residents can't vote in them, so no hurry as far as the Mairie is concerned. Off-hand, I can't remember when the next Regional and Municipal Elections are (where EU electors can vote), but imagine that Brexit will have moved forwards (or backwards) by then and the situation should be clearer. In any case, no one knows when (if?) the UK will be leaving the UE....
- Other members on the France forum might be able to advise on obtaining the letter of residency from the Mairie for an EU minor who has only just reached their majority. I wonder what utility bill they could produce in their name, unless they are renting away from home?
I wouldn't think your Mairie is discriminating against UK expats in France, esp. if your children have been educated here (?). There's probably an administrative problem somewhere and I would go back to discuss it all calmly en famille (presuming that you the parents are applying for French citizenship, too?).
Hope this is of some help, but come over to the France forum to see what others here think.
I'm afraid you are being too generous in finding excuses for the Mairie employers. Whilst I accept there are no upcoming elections there should be no issue that an EU resident can register to vote. Immediately my daughter was refused the entire team turned on my children and started telling them this is what happens when you vote to leave Europe.
With regards to bills in their names...they study in the UK as EU students fully supported by us. They don't have any bills but mobile phone which French administrators do not accept as proof of residence. They require an energy bill or landline phone bill. For children who live at home their parents supply their bill with a copy of id and a formula letter stating that the youngster is resident in their home. In the past this has never presented a problem. We have had to do this several times over the 14 years in France. It is the level of antagonism towards my children I resent. I have already written a letter AC to the mayor. It's not that I can't manage the situation. It is simply to register the discrimination against my children.
French bubbles is offline  
Old Aug 9th 2016, 5:28 pm
  #13  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,050
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

Originally Posted by French bubbles View Post
I'm afraid you are being too generous in finding excuses for the Mairie employers. Whilst I accept there are no upcoming elections there should be no issue that an EU resident can register to vote. Immediately my daughter was refused the entire team turned on my children and started telling them this is what happens when you vote to leave Europe.
With regards to bills in their names...they study in the UK as EU students fully supported by us. They don't have any bills but mobile phone which French administrators do not accept as proof of residence. They require an energy bill or landline phone bill. For children who live at home their parents supply their bill with a copy of id and a formula letter stating that the youngster is resident in their home. In the past this has never presented a problem. We have had to do this several times over the 14 years in France. It is the level of antagonism towards my children I resent. I have already written a letter AC to the mayor. It's not that I can't manage the situation. It is simply to register the discrimination against my children.
I'm not defending the Fonctionnaires, they are a breed of their own... I'm just looking at it from the mindset of your average French person.
If your children aren't actually resident in France, then I don't see how they can take French citizenship.
It's true that the Administration only accepts EdF, landline, Taxe d'Habitation, etc... as proof of residence, not mobile phone bills. When our DDs needed proof of residence for other reasons (since they are French), I believe we wrote the formula letter and produced our Déclaration de Revenus when they were both still declared as being in our fiscal household. Maybe the Mairie would accept your Déclaration? (since your daughter was minor on 1st January 2016, she would be mentioned on it?).
I'm sorry you've got such unfriendly staff at your Mairie. Let us know what your Maire replies (do you mean you sent your letter LRAR?). He/she might not even be aware of the issue if he wasn't present. There again I'm not defending your 1er Magistrat, but acting as the Devil's Advocate.
Do post again on the France forum, I don't look in the Europe section every day!
P.S. On second thoughts, I'm not sure about EU students outside of France, but with their family settled in France. Some one on the France forum will surely know....

Last edited by dmu; Aug 9th 2016 at 5:33 pm.
dmu is online now  
Old Sep 8th 2016, 8:03 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 251
britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

You must not underestimate the nosiness of people regarding foreigners living in euroland, no doubt they were aware of the situation of the children and reacted accordingly
britishbull is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2016, 9:12 pm
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: bute
Posts: 9,273
scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hostility towards british expats throughout Europe since Brexit?

Brits were not universally popular BEFORE the vote.
scot47 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.