British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Help: Quantity Surveying question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/help-quantity-surveying-question-594029/)

Anda Feb 25th 2009 8:32 pm

Help: Quantity Surveying question

Hello,

I thought i give it a go and writte here, because this is the only forum where i have found any talk about quantity surveying, this profession doesnt seem to have its own little corner, where all professionals can discuss current issues or am i wrong and missed something out.

Well my question would be, what are ways of becoming a quantity surveyor?

Currently i applyed to College of Estate Management for a BSc Quantity Surveying, but didnt get in. :( They offered me to do a Diploma in Surveying practice which takes 2 years and if i do good i could go on to 2 year of BSc QS. Do you guys think this is a good route, because it would take 5 years to complete?

Also how can i find a job that would atleast guide towards the job role i am intending to study, because i been looking for almost 6 months now and i dont see any junior work around or maybe agian i am looking in wrong places.

If someone could help me out i would appreciate it very much, because this is something i really want to do but dont know how i should go about doing it...

P.S Is it worth taking on this porofession how are the futher building boom and what are the prospects for this profession.

Thanks in advance looking forward in hearing from all the people...:thumbsup:

Celtic Princess Feb 26th 2009 11:49 am

Re: Help: Quantity Surveying question

If it is what you really want to do then go for it. If you do the first course you will have the opportunity to impress to help you get onto the course you want. Also some employers keep in close contact with colleges so they can snap up good students early.

I wanted a construction qualification too. I applied to a university, like yourself but was rejected because it had been years and years since I did my A-levels. So I went back to college to study at A-level again, but doing a BTec in construction. I only did 3 weeks of that before the college decided I was a superstar so bumped me up to do their degree course. 5 years suddenly reduced to 3. Yeah!!!

By the end of the second year I had 3 serious job offers for when I completed my degree, with employers who were prepared to wait.

So go for it, and good luck.

Anda Feb 26th 2009 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Celtic Princess (Post 7324990)
If it is what you really want to do then go for it. If you do the first course you will have the opportunity to impress to help you get onto the course you want. Also some employers keep in close contact with colleges so they can snap up good students early.

I wanted a construction qualification too. I applied to a university, like yourself but was rejected because it had been years and years since I did my A-levels. So I went back to college to study at A-level again, but doing a BTec in construction. I only did 3 weeks of that before the college decided I was a superstar so bumped me up to do their degree course. 5 years suddenly reduced to 3. Yeah!!!

By the end of the second year I had 3 serious job offers for when I completed my degree, with employers who were prepared to wait.

So go for it, and good luck.

Thanks for your answer, and yeah i think i want to do it...

But the acceptance comes with a catch i need to have a mentor for my studies anyone have any idea how i can get a junior surveyors job, or to shadow a surveyor...

ATM i am working as a supervisor on a big construction company but my job role doesnt get me anywhere near a surveyor :)

Thanks

Celtic Princess Feb 27th 2009 5:08 am

I think it depends on whether you want paying for it or not. If you don't, just contact a surveyor and ask them. I'm sure they will be more than happy to help. That's what I did. I spent my holidays working for free in the local planning and building control departments, shadowing the officers.